6 Line Wrasse yay or nay

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I've currently got a 20 by 20 by 29 tank. I've got two clowns and some soft corals and I was hoping to add a 6 Line Wrasse. I have heard there abit aggressive and was wondering what kind of tank mates I could keep with it in this sort of tank. How do you think clown gobies would do?

IMG20230610135409.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got about 45 gallons. Would the issue mainly be fighting. And if so what fish would it fight with.
Sorry my bad, your tank is fine. I misread dimensions. I've had mine for several years with 5 other wrasses. Coral beauty, fang blenny, mandarin, etc... with no issues at all but others have found them to be aggressive and territorial. I think the key is to have substantial rock work with caves and numerous areas for them to explore and hunt. Then they ignore other fish in the tank.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they’re good but many have been known to kill other fish when they become adults. I never suggest them. I’d always go with either the pink streak wrasse or a possum wrasse. The pink streak is very similar except it is completely peaceful.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
I've currently got a 20 by 20 by 29 tank. I've got two clowns and some soft corals and I was hoping to add a 6 Line Wrasse. I have heard there abit aggressive and was wondering what kind of tank mates I could keep with it in this sort of tank. How do you think clown gobies would do?

IMG20230610135409.jpg
The key is in their nickname (666line wrasse).
That rockwork isn’t going to be enough to suit their needs, you want Atleast a 3’ tank to have just enough rockwork for them to be happy.
A Clown goby is dead to a sixline unfortunately. And infact most peaceful fish will be dead to a six.
I had a sixline in a 3’x2’x2’ tank with a ton of rockwork (it left almost no room at the back for swimming), and he still killed a CBB with my old scopas tang. I really recommend skipping a sixline and going for a Pink Streak or maybe a smaller Halichoeres with the thought you’ll have to rehome it in the future.

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key is in their nickname (666line wrasse).
That rockwork isn’t going to be enough to suit their needs, you want Atleast a 3’ tank to have just enough rockwork for them to be happy.
A Clown goby is dead to a sixline unfortunately. And infact most peaceful fish will be dead to a six.
I had a sixline in a 3’x2’x2’ tank with a ton of rockwork (it left almost no room at the back for swimming), and he still killed a CBB with my old scopas tang. I really recommend skipping a sixline and going for a Pink Streak or maybe a smaller Halichoeres with the thought you’ll have to rehome it in the future.
God dang it.‍That's such a shame. I can't find many other wrasses over here in Australia. Nothing over here. I'm pulling my hair out trying to stock this tank. Thanks for the response though. Pink streak wrasses are really hard to come by here.

Reefer Matt

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I hate reef forums. So many different awnsers.
That's how reefing is though. Many ways to reef. You are dealing with living creatures which, like people, have different personalities and habits. A lot of the time only trial and error will tell you what is good for your situation.

OP
OP
BlackiceClowns

BlackiceClowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how reefing is though. Many ways to reef. You are dealing with living creatures which, like people, have different personalities and habits. A lot of the time only trial and error will tell you what is good for your situation.
I might try and get some from a fellow reefer. That way he can tell me how they have been. Time will tell

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s so many different answers because everyone reeds in their own ways :)
I reef differently to most reefers as I don’t care if some coral are nipped by fish in my 4’ tank as I prefer RSWC fish and know they’re risky in reefs.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try and get some from a fellow reefer. That way he can tell me how they have been. Time will tell
Honestly, imagine what we’re saying but with your fellow reefers. It’ll be the same outcome of trial and error and many many different answers.

I work in an LFS about an hour away from me and even then, when giving advice you have to say both what you’ve experienced and the opposite of what may occur as every fish is it’s own character.

Reefer Matt

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps though, I did add them last in the tanks. Not on purpose, but just happened to be the circumstance. Maybe that has something to do with my situation.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps though, I did add them last in the tanks. Not on purpose, but just happened to be the circumstance. Maybe that has something to do with my situation.
This will have a lot to do with your situation of peaceful sixlines. They are mostly aggressive in small tanks and when added first and not last.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish are different depends on personality of fish people say powder blues are one of the most aggressive tangs mine is chill but ask anyone else see what they say

silent1mezzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just had to rehome my sixline. It was fine with a chromis for a year but when I added some clowns it chased them to death. Since you're adding it last it may be fine, or it may not be.

The main issue is if it's not fine, they're almost impossible to catch without taking apart your scape

Latte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a pink streaked wrasse instead! They're beautiful and incredibly peaceful little guys. We love ours - it has a lot of personality sneaking in and out of crevices all day picking at pods and gets on famously with our Valentini puffer and clowns

Hawkeyesown11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two clowns in a smaller tank. They were established for a few months, and then I added a sixline. No issues. I think you’ll be fine from adding the sixline last, so his territory isn’t already defined.

I also had a clown goby before the sixline. He would barely eat. I tried everything from frozen, mysis, calanus, flakes and pellets. He wasn’t aggressive to the food like the clowns and sixline. He eventually died but not due to sixline aggression.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back