OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Baby trochus snails can be a blessing and a curse. I haven't had too many problems with them, other than making their way into the sump and plugging the intake on my skimmer a few times!
Thanks @ReefGrammie
I was wondering about that, they are super cute but look like they could get into trouble... I have a filter sock in my sump so hopefully these guys don’t make their way to my return pump.
I had to take my protein skimmer out because I couldn’t keep my nitrate and phosphate above zero without dosing it.
how often do these guys have babies? any schedule to it? Summer? Etc?

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the setup! I used to have a deep blue 60 cube. I loved that tank. And that decorator crab is super cool. I never tried one but i always thought they had one of the more interesting behaviors in the hobby.
Thanks @Rhoads238
I’ll let you know how this guy does. I’m still not quite sure I trust it yet. I have not seen any corals bothered, and it is really interesting. It seems to feel a lot more confident about being out in the open with the new disguise.

Great thread and love the tanks!

Your 40 was really beautiful and I can't wait to see your new cube look the same!
Thanks @MERKEY !
It’s nice to have more room for fish and corals and more volume for stability.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @ReefGrammie
I was wondering about that, they are super cute but look like they could get into trouble... I have a filter sock in my sump so hopefully these guys don’t make their way to my return pump.
I had to take my protein skimmer out because I couldn’t keep my nitrate and phosphate above zero without dosing it.
how often do these guys have babies? any schedule to it? Summer? Etc?

Summer sounds about right, and I think just once a year, but I'm not 100% on that!

Astronomical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! I really like the macro qt tank too.

About the decorator crab: I love decorator crabs they're super cool but fair warning they can be jerks. We had a good size one in the large lobby tank at my old job and one of his favorite foods was large feather dusters. Over time he just systematically ran around the tank shredding and eating everyone he found, then you'd see him wearing parts of their tube like trophies. Could just be he had a taste for them and yours will be fine but I thought I'd share. Personally I liked him better than the feather dusters anyway and it wasn't my money that went into the tank! :)

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! I really like the macro qt tank too.

About the decorator crab: I love decorator crabs they're super cool but fair warning they can be jerks. We had a good size one in the large lobby tank at my old job and one of his favorite foods was large feather dusters. Over time he just systematically ran around the tank shredding and eating everyone he found, then you'd see him wearing parts of their tube like trophies. Could just be he had a taste for them and yours will be fine but I thought I'd share. Personally I liked him better than the feather dusters anyway and it wasn't my money that went into the tank! :)
Thanks @Astronomical . My decorator is in my macroalgae tank now...somewhere, I can’t find him because he disguised himself with macroalgae and he hides so well.

I don’t think I am going to add him to the 60. I don’t trust him.

I put him in the macro tank after my clove polyps in frag tank were all closed up for 2 days straight and he was wearing their scalps.
He is probably going into my sump rather than the display, but still open to possibilities.
A few rocks in the display have some cool feather dusters. Not large ones, but he could do some serious damage. Thanks for the warning.
207D85F3-A65C-4169-A319-47B96F033498.jpeg

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking supply of used hardware you got. What kind of tank are you planing to make it? A regular mixed reef or something more specialized?

I had a 40g cube and loved it. But it became so full I decided to make one last tank (I'm retired and 70 years old) so I'm setting up a 90g (36"x30"x20") tank. It will be mostly zoas and Rock Flower Anemones (I have about 40+ from full size adults to tiny 1/8" diameter babies).

This is my old 40g cube from back a year ago.
20190110_095104 R1.jpg
If you dont mind me asking, where did you get most of your rock flowers??? i LOVE my one and I want more.

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SMSREEF I'm super late to the party but i love this tank so far!
Curious where you got your "stinky sand" from? I purchased some live rock from my LFS and some of my snails have corraline on them, but your corraline is explosive. I also would love some hitchhiking feather dusters :)

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SMSREEF I'm super late to the party but i love this tank so far!
Curious where you got your "stinky sand" from? I purchased some live rock from my LFS and some of my snails have corraline on them, but your corraline is explosive. I also would love some hitchhiking feather dusters :)
Thanks @alimac122
I was down in the Keys collecting macroalgae, hermits and snails and I got a few cups of sand with the macroalgae and put it in with the live rock I got from Strictly Fish in Miami. They often get some really nice live rock with feather dusters and other really cool stuff.
I quarantined for about 6 weeks without fish and with good light to keep coralline alive before putting it in my display.

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @alimac122
I was down in the Keys collecting macroalgae, hermits and snails and I got a few cups of sand with the macroalgae and put it in with the live rock I got from Strictly Fish in Miami. They often get some really nice live rock with feather dusters and other really cool stuff.
I quarantined for about 6 weeks without fish and with good light to keep coralline alive before putting it in my display.

Ahh i see, you have the luck of proximity to the ocean on your side ;)

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh i see, you have the luck of proximity to the ocean on your side ;)
Yes. That’s the nice thing about being down here.
If you want some macroalgae or sand from the sea grass beds down here, let me know. I’m always looking for a reason to go snorkeling and would be happy to send to you.
Your 90 is awesome!

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. That’s the nice thing about being down here.
If you want some macroalgae or sand from the sea grass beds down here, let me know. I’m always looking for a reason to go snorkeling and would be happy to send to you.
Your 90 is awesome!

that’s a 100% yes to both!!!

And thank you ☺️

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good looking supply of used hardware you got. What kind of tank are you planing to make it? A regular mixed reef or something more specialized?

I had a 40g cube and loved it. But it became so full I decided to make one last tank (I'm retired and 70 years old) so I'm setting up a 90g (36"x30"x20") tank. It will be mostly zoas and Rock Flower Anemones (I have about 40+ from full size adults to tiny 1/8" diameter babies).

This is my old 40g cube from back a year ago.
20190110_095104 R1.jpg
Very nice colors , a lot in that cube.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont mind me asking, where did you get most of your rock flowers??? i LOVE my one and I want more.

I got them from a variety of places. Many came from VIP Reef in Miami. Some from Cultivated Reef (online and a sponsor here). Some I collected myself in the Florida Keys. Like @SMSREEF I get to go snorkeling there. Many are a result of the ones I own breeding in my tank. Now I shop for them only when I can see them in person. With 35+ in the tank, I'm only looking for unusual ones and willing to pay a premium for them.

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many similarities to my last system. Right down to the decorator crab in the macro fuge. Beautiful set up even though the seem issue gave you a murphy start.

The trim on the stand came out classy too. I just dropped a colony of dendrophyllia off with CR in Maine. Loved having a local respectable coral source over the last 2.5 years. They are truely great people.

Im here for the ride. Hope the skies stay clear for ya going ahead. Im taggin along.

OP
OP
SMSREEF

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many similarities to my last system. Right down to the decorator crab in the macro fuge. Beautiful set up even though the seem issue gave you a murphy start.

The trim on the stand came out classy too. I just dropped a colony of dendrophyllia off with CR in Maine. Loved having a local respectable coral source over the last 2.5 years. They are truely great people.

Im here for the ride. Hope the skies stay clear for ya going ahead. Im taggin along.
Thanks @RichtheReefer21
It was a rough start, but at least it happened before I had any fish or corals in and when I was home.

I would love to try dendrophyllia at some point. They are gorgeous!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @RichtheReefer21
It was a rough start, but at least it happened before I had any fish or corals in and when I was home.

I would love to try dendrophyllia at some point. They are gorgeous!
20200517_125931.jpg

Ur a week late :)

Headed to a friends to drop off the last colony. 25ish heads. Perfect globe.
20201107_194537.jpg

The rest are sold. The 125 is getting a bleach run starting tonight or this weekend. Then ill tear it down, refurb and toss it up for sale. Then i get to start my cube. Exciting.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 45 86.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.8%
Back