60 Gallon Cube & Ecotech Radion XR15 G6 PAR

ShawnM24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in my build thread, but I figured I’d post it here too for comparison. For those interested, this is the XR30 G6 PAR values. The light settings are: UV 100%, Violet 100%, Blue 100%, Royal 100%, Green 20%, Red 20%, Warm White 35%, Cool White 35%. One picture is at 60% Intensity, the other at 100% Intensity. The XR30 G6 should be able to hit SPS PAR values all over in a 24" cube, sandbed to top.
Brother thank you so much for posting this data I too was regretting but going with the xr30 I think I am gonna have to pull the trigger. Even with the reef brite add on it doesn’t get it done. Thank you again for all the info

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Brother thank you so much for posting this data I too was regretting but going with the xr30 I think I am gonna have to pull the trigger. Even with the reef brite add on it doesn’t get it done. Thank you again for all the info
No problem, glad it helped. Sorry I couldn’t help you before you bought the wrong one-my hope was people would see the data before getting the XR15.

I think with the G5, the XR15 was adequate but now with the ultra wide reflector the XR15 is probably only good for nano tanks or shallow frag tanks [if you’re going for SPS].

ShawnM24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, glad it helped. Sorry I couldn’t help you before you bought the wrong one-my hope was people would see the data before getting the XR15.

I think with the G5, the XR15 was adequate but now with the ultra wide reflector the XR15 is probably only good for nano tanks or shallow frag tanks [if you’re going for SPS].
I have the G5 and the numbers are really not as great as I thought they would be when I watched the brs video 10 months ago when I got the light. I am probably upgrade to the xr30 definitely instead of a quad reef brite

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s good to know. I think the BRS video was a little deceptive. I went back and watched it after getting my 15 and realized they didn’t mention the depth they took the par readings at (unless I missed it). So who knows, it might have been just under the water surface which is quite irrelevant.

Hellic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is pretty deep, so it might be better to go with the stronger light or one that uses lenses to punch down through the depths. For instance, based on your measurements, in my 40 breeder the xr15 would be hitting around 130-160 at my sand bed and up to 300 at the top of the rock. Maybe the xr15 is better suited for shallower tanks?

CrunchyBananas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll throw my hat in the ring, I have a 60 gallon cube and have the phillips coral care gen 2 light, and It's definitely my favorite LED fixture, and I've used most. It's at a cheaper price point than an xr30 as well. The PAR in my tank ranges from about 450-500 at the top down to around 150 at the bottom, and I'm not utilizing the full power even. Better coverage, and I like the fuller spectrum it utilizes. Feel I get better coloration largely due to it running a full spectrum during the day. Here's a recent pic which is under blues in the evening.
806038C5-3286-4539-AA0E-7D93F957DAB1.jpeg

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 2 xr15 g6 pros for my 50g and was also shocked how low the par was. I tried to crank up my whites but that killed a couple of my favorite acropora Tenuis. So I had to add a 3rd to get enough par without cranking up the whites.
7EDBD43F-12DA-4AA4-A092-90DBD42E2BBF.jpeg
Dang.. I feel like a XR30 pro with T5 would help allot

Sidsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched from a Kessil a360x + Reef Brite combo to a Ecotech Radion XR15G6. I wanted a more streamlined fixture and the Kessil shimmer was irritating my migraines. I debated about getting the XR30, but I want a mixed reef and told myself the 15 would be adequate if I kept the SPS at the top of the aquascape. Boy was that a mistake! The PAR rapidly falls off with any significant depth. I ordered an Apogee MQ-510 Par meter that came today and took some preliminary readings. I was barely getting 100 par anywhere on my scape in the tank. I lowered the light down to 4.5” above the water line and still the highest im getting is around 160 par at the very top of my aqua scape.

I will say the evenness of the XR15G6 is crazy. There are no hot spots whatsoever. The 12” from sandbed to the top of my scape is only about 65-75 par difference and there is hardly any difference at all left to right of light center throughout the various levels of my scape.

I’m sort of regretting buying a cube tank because it takes so but live and learn! Always go more than what you think is adequate for lighting. It looks like I’m going to be rapidly upgrading to the XR30 +/- ReefBrite supplements.

I think the G6 would really shine on a wider flatter tank, but for a cube it leaves a lot to be desired PAR-wise.

Perhaps I was expecting too much of this light but I feel like BRS over represents the PAR readings of the XR15s by recording just below the surface of the water.
Hopefully this will help someone else save some money down the line. The XR15 G6 would be ideal for a 60 cube softy/LPS tank, but for any SPS— go XR30.

0A783E95-ADBF-4884-AE73-3D1B790C1EC1.jpeg 2A7ADE10-6018-475A-BB0A-7D7D9864F2FC.jpeg

This is a great post for information. I’m looking at a 60 gallon tank.

one thing I want to make clear is that while using LEDs is a no brained for tanks. You gotta realize spectrum and coverage is more important than PAR. I feel like people think PAR is everything when it comes to lighting. PAR is the last thing on the list for me to consider as long as spectrum and coverage is there. I currently run T5 and 2 AI primes and 1 Hydra 32. I’m not saying anyone here is wrong because this is a LED PAR post. But I was a non believer and just ran LEDs two XR30 pros. Until I made the switch after a metric ton of research to hybrid T5/LED. You’ll be surprised how much growth you get outa coverage vs par. All in all great post and good information!

HAPPY REEFING!

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not specifically without remeasuring but by pictures above it would be around 120. 18” from the light face would be just above the 115 measurement in the picture.

Unfortunately I can’t add multiple mounts easily to my tank because of the way the CADE overflow and ATO reservoir are on the back. It pretty much has room for one mount and even a single RMS won’t fit (if you want it centered). I had to use a Kessil mount and adapt the Radion mounting bracket to work with it. This makes adding a second Radion a PITA. So I think the XR30 is the best option.
The weir and ato flip top covers are only glued in and come off, I know because when I was installing the 2 weir overflow pipes I accidentally knocked the cover and it popped off completely. Now it just sits in place, but sometimes when I open the cover the whole thing drops down about 1cm. It’s no big deal cos I can just glue it back on, but back to my point if both covers were removed then you would have the option of installing multiple lights.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a question I have been having issues with mobius and my xr15 blues, so ecotech will be sending replacement xr15. Currently I have xr15 blue and i can go for xr15 g6 blue. Tank is 6x2x2 feet. I like the blue should i go for g6 or stick with g5 replacements. I have 5 of them on the tank.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 60g cube. I have an a360x with reefbrites on my 25g cube that I am currently happy with. Given the upgrade, I dont think it will be enough light. My plan originally was to go for 4 or more quanta pro bars. After thinking it over, I think i will try to run a reefi uno 2.0 pro. If it is still not enough light, I will probably try to rig the reefbrite bars on it.

arafas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
also what if i swap the g5 lenses on the new g6 before i send them back.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Followup comparison and assumptions:
Left is xr15 g6 100% intensity.. Channels as stated in 1
Right is xr30 g6 100% intensity Channels as stated above.
"Blues" at equal percent, colors only some minor differences i.e cool white 50 vs 35% (overall it does change par but believe not sig. enough compared to blue/intensity)
Point is settings are fairly "equal".
Now as to height off water of the light itself.
???

Doubling wattage should double par..
Did I make any errors here?

xr1530.JPG
So looking at this we can safely say a xr30 is more powerful than two xr15’s? That seems weird to me but okay lol.. I’ve been debating if I wanna trade some of my 15’s for a 30 and eliminate a bunch of plugs on my tank. Obviously it has its pros and cons! Better coverage with a couple 15’s vs a 30 etc etc.. I’m running a couple halides on my tank and it washes out the 15’s so I’m wondering how a 30 would look with them..

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the XR30 and RMS mount be installed parallel to the orientation of the tank? For example, on a peninsula, I would want the XR30 to go over the tank in the same rectangular orientation, as opposed to being perpendicular. I hope that made sense.

Back