Bleigh's 60 gallon cube

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in my signature line. Bthefountain
Oh gotcha, cool! I always am on r2r on my phone, so unless I turn it sideways I never see signatures :( lol

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4175 copy.jpg
Love this! Congratulations!

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. That makes a lot of sense to me. I'm trying to think about how that would work if the frag tank is at the same level as the dt. I may play around with some tupper ware bowls. :)

The sump can handle 125 gallons. The new cube is only 60 gallons.... and part of the reason I even got the idea to add a second tank. From water volume stand point, I think I'm good.
Sounds like quite a sump :) if both tanks are the same height then you would probably need each tank to have it's own overflow. I think dual return pumps is a good idea for redundancy

Nem tank and reef tank side by side would look super cool

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh gotcha, cool! I always am on r2r on my phone, so unless I turn it sideways I never see signatures :( lol

The app settings messed up on me. I turned the notifications and stuff off one night and I haven't been able to get them to come back on. :(

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like quite a sump :) if both tanks are the same height then you would probably need each tank to have it's own overflow. I think dual return pumps is a good idea for redundancy

Nem tank and reef tank side by side would look super cool

They'd both be at the same surface. But one would be shorter than the other.

And.... That's not a bad idea!

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump from acrylic habitats arrived today. I’ll make a list of the other equipment I’m hoping to add in the next day or two.

I think the sump is pretty darn sharp though!

210493f95df540bb8dd902bfcd6a236f.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

agree!!

:)

Just be sure that it's big enough that it won't overflow when your turn off your return pump.

Last edited:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump from acrylic habitats arrived today. I’ll make a list of the other equipment I’m hoping to add in the next day or two.

210493f95df540bb8dd902bfcd6a236f.jpg
Super nice :)

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree!!

:)

Just be sure that it's big enough that it won't overflow when your turn off your return pump.

For sure. It's meant to handle up to 125 gallon tank. But I will def test all that as I am setting the water level.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super nice :)

So I was planning on drilling the bottom, but I've decided to save real estate and drill the side. I am planning on doing the ECLIPSE L OVERFLOW BOX (1000 GPH). I'm doing the large size so I can set it up as a bean animal overflow. I like the safety and the quiet you get from these setups.

Still trying to decide on the return pump. I'm also considering doing two return pipes so I can reduce the number of fans I need in the tank.

For the ATO pump, my thought is the Neptune ATO kit. I don't have a Neptune brain, but would like to have one by the end of the year. So getting products that can work with that seem ideal and since this can work without the brain, it seems like a good initial investment.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is looking good. As for the eclipse overflow, they can be a little noisy if the water level is not quite right in them (you have to run the outside box a little high). The outside box is slightly lower then the inside box and this can make noise when water enter the outside box. You might look into a Fiji Cube overflow box. I love mine and it is equal water level inside and outside. There is also Modular Marine, but I remember seeing they have been delayed as of late. I could be wrong though, so don't quote me there.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was planning on drilling the bottom, but I've decided to save real estate and drill the side. I am planning on doing the ECLIPSE L OVERFLOW BOX (1000 GPH). I'm doing the large size so I can set it up as a bean animal overflow. I like the safety and the quiet you get from these setups.

Still trying to decide on the return pump. I'm also considering doing two return pipes so I can reduce the number of fans I need in the tank.

For the ATO pump, my thought is the Neptune ATO kit. I don't have a Neptune brain, but would like to have one by the end of the year. So getting products that can work with that seem ideal and since this can work without the brain, it seems like a good initial investment.
I have the eclipse L and very happy with it. If you do decide to go that route make sure you are aware of the water level issue with the template.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is looking good. As for the eclipse overflow, they can be a little noisy if the water level is not quite right in them (you have to run the outside box a little high). The outside box is slightly lower then the inside box and this can make noise when water enter the outside box. You might look into a Fiji Cube overflow box. I love mine and it is equal water level inside and outside. There is also Modular Marine, but I remember seeing they have been delayed as of late. I could be wrong though, so don't quote me there.

And that's why I posted before I purchased. lol. It looks like they can do larger GPH too.

I love that they have a semi clear pipe. I looked into clear PVC pipe, so I could see if there ever was a clog before it became an issue, but saw quickly that the downside is algae growth, which forms a blockage. I wonder if a colored, clear pip would still have this issue. Does anyone know someone who has used colored clear PVC in a build?

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any benefit to getting an overflow box that is able to do a larger GPH over flow box? I would think I'd do the 1200 GPH, but the 1800 GPH is still small enough to fit the tank. I know everyone says do the largest you can, but not sure if that applies to overflow boxes as well.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good call. I have the eshopps M on my 40b, it’s great. I would do the Tunze ATO over the apex one, more reliable and doesn’t need an apex. I have one for both my tanks. It’s a little pricy upfront but I’ve had zero issues.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back