OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good call. I have the eshopps M on my 40b, it’s great. I would do the Tunze ATO over the apex one, more reliable and doesn’t need an apex. I have one for both my tanks. It’s a little pricy upfront but I’ve had zero issues.

Do you know if there's an issue with doing a larger overflow than required?

This was the apex ATO I was looking at: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/atk-v2-auto-top-off-kit-neptune-systems.html. It is stand alone. They say they recommend the Tunze too. I know I want to get one of the tridents, so I will need an Apex controller at some point. Is there a benefit in staying within the same brand line or will it not matter?

Since we're talking about pumps, are there any return pumps you'd recommend? I know there are some that do some cool things with simulating storms and stuff, but I don't know if those things are just gimmicks or useful.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if there's an issue with doing a larger overflow than required?

This was the apex ATO I was looking at: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/atk-v2-auto-top-off-kit-neptune-systems.html. It is stand alone. They say they recommend the Tunze too. I know I want to get one of the tridents, so I will need an Apex controller at some point. Is there a benefit in staying within the same brand line or will it not matter?

Since we're talking about pumps, are there any return pumps you'd recommend? I know there are some that do some cool things with simulating storms and stuff, but I don't know if those things are just gimmicks or useful.
The only issue with a larger overflow is you need to have enough flow going through your return to make a full siphon in the main drain of the overflow. The pumps that do storms and all that are gimmicky. You want your return flow to stay constant, if its changing your going to kick up junk that settles on the bottom of your sump causing issues, I’d just do 1 reliable good DC return pump. Also it messes up the siphon and could flood your house.
For your 60 I’d run a Reef Octo VarioS4 or 6. If you do the 6 you will have enough pressure to run a manifold if that was something you were interested in.
I’ve heard bad things about the Neptune atk, a lot of apex users stick with tunze and have apex run everything else, the atk is the most prone to malfunction out of all the Neptune equipment I believe, lots of threads about it going crazy or breaking.
Everything you need is in the tunze one https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunz...MI1IuDhKy34wIVysDACh0KygfbEAQYASABEgKMDvD_BwE

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. It's meant to handle up to 125 gallon tank. But I will def test all that as I am setting the water level.

lol
You should be good to go...

:)

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue with a larger overflow is you need to have enough flow going through your return to make a full siphon in the main drain of the overflow. The pumps that do storms and all that are gimmicky. You want your return flow to stay constant, if its changing your going to kick up junk that settles on the bottom of your sump causing issues, I’d just do 1 reliable good DC return pump. Also it messes up the siphon and could flood your house.
For your 60 I’d run a Reef Octo VarioS4 or 6. If you do the 6 you will have enough pressure to run a manifold if that was something you were interested in.
I’ve heard bad things about the Neptune atk, a lot of apex users stick with tunze and have apex run everything else, the atk is the most prone to malfunction out of all the Neptune equipment I believe, lots of threads about it going crazy or breaking.
Everything you need is in the tunze one https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunz...MI1IuDhKy34wIVysDACh0KygfbEAQYASABEgKMDvD_BwE
Tunze ato is tried and true but I've never had an issue with my ATK. I did have a sensor fail and Neptune promptly sent me a replacement. I know they released a new version of the atk which they say corrects some of the issue the atk had in standalone mode. They also upgraded the pmup and sensors. There is a YouTube video about the changes. I run mine on an apex and has performed well for me

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze ato is tried and true but I've never had an issue with my ATK. I did have a sensor fail and Neptune promptly sent me a replacement. I know they released a new version of the atk which they say corrects some of the issue the atk had in standalone mode. They also upgraded the pmup and sensors. There is a YouTube video about the changes. I run mine on an apex and has performed well for me

Wow... R2r looks different today. :) It was the ATK2 I was looking at. One of the safety mechanisms is that it remember about how much volume it normally needs to fill by, and if it is filling more than that amount, it shuts off.

Right now, I am leaning towards the Tunze, but I will def do more reading about the new ATK by Neptune.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had to look up a manifold. It seems like it’s a t coming off the main return line where you can add in equipment, like reactors. Am I understanding that correctly? I’ll def go with the bigger one.

How do you know if you’ll have enough flow to create a siphon? I think I’m just going to go with the smallest bean animal overflow option, which is up to 1200 gph. I was thinking about spliting the return line and have a return on either side of the overflow. I’ll probably put ball valves before both enter the tank so I can control the strength if needed. Is there any issues with doing that or something I’m not thinking about?

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded from a 60 cube to a 90 tall. I like my new tank but the 60 was awesome. The only thing I didn’t like about it was that the overflow was in the corner which made landscaping a nightmare. Still, 60 cubes are great tanks!

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far; love the cleanliness of the setup and aesthetic provided by the sump. Really great.

Thanks! I can’t wait to start moving things over!

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded from a 60 cube to a 90 tall. I like my new tank but the 60 was awesome. The only thing I didn’t like about it was that the overflow was in the corner which made landscaping a nightmare. Still, 60 cubes are great tanks!
That’s good to know! I’m drilling it myself. I’m going to put the overflow in the center and it’s got a pretty low profile. So I’m hoping that will maximize real estate.

What is your opinion on painting the back black? I’ve went back and forth. I feel like it will loose some of the allure of the cube if I paint the back, but I love the look in non cube tanks.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to look up a manifold. It seems like it’s a t coming off the main return line where you can add in equipment, like reactors. Am I understanding that correctly? I’ll def go with the bigger one.

How do you know if you’ll have enough flow to create a siphon? I think I’m just going to go with the smallest bean animal overflow option, which is up to 1200 gph. I was thinking about spliting the return line and have a return on either side of the overflow. I’ll probably put ball valves before both enter the tank so I can control the strength if needed. Is there any issues with doing that or something I’m not thinking about?
Yep sounds right and sounds like a plan. As long as your return has enough gph after pumping vertical and passing reactors and all that and still makes the recommended gph going down the overflow,it should make a full siphon.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep sounds right and sounds like a plan. As long as your return has enough gph after pumping vertical and passing reactors and all that and still makes the recommended gph going down the overflow,it should make a full siphon.

The overflow I want says up to 1200 gph, but doesn't provide the minimum for usage. Is there a calculator for this? I know there are ways to calculate flow loss in piping.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The overflow I want says up to 1200 gph, but doesn't provide the minimum for usage. Is there a calculator for this? I know there are ways to calculate flow loss in piping.

Nevermind, it says, 1200 GPH+. So I assume I need at least 1200 GPH flow after piping and manifolds and everything to keep a suction?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What overflow? Assuming you’ll have a valve on it, you can adjust it to whatever. The valve will be the restriction that determines how much water goes down the siphon.

If you have the siphon valve adjusted to match the return flow, it will drain the same amount that’s being returned if no water is going down the other pipes.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of coral do you want to mainly grow in it?
Right now I have mainly softies and Lps. I wouldnt feel comfortable even trying sps with my current setup, but I’d really like the option.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What overflow? Assuming you’ll have a valve on it, you can adjust it to whatever. The valve will be the restriction that determines how much water goes down the siphon.

If you have the siphon valve adjusted to match the return flow, it will drain the same amount that’s being returned if no water is going down the other pipes.

This is the overflow I’m getting.

I do plan on having a valve.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back