Bleigh's 60 gallon cube

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need a gate valve to control the drain flow. this is t my favorite overflow style as you’re not creating a full siphon.

Yes; I like this overflow style myself. But I don't recall seeing a gate valve connected. I'll have to go back and take a closer look.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes; I like this overflow style myself. But I don't recall seeing a gate valve connected. I'll have to go back and take a closer look.

sorry typo. this is NOT my favorite because it doesn’t create a full siphon. the elbows allow air down the pipes. this can cause erratic water levels. and yes, you do want a gate valve to control the drain rate. your pump can’t keep up. another thing to look at is - is the pump even the right size for your tank?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry typo. this is NOT my favorite because it doesn’t create a full siphon. the elbows allow air down the pipes. this can cause erratic water levels. and yes, you do want a gate valve to control the drain rate. your pump can’t keep up. another thing to look at is - is the pump even the right size for your tank?

It is a danner mag5 in a 15 gallon DT and sump which holds about 10 gallons. So yes, I think it is more than I need as it is rated at 400 GPH at a 36" head.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a danner mag5 in a 15 gallon DT and sump which holds about 10 gallons. So yes, I think it is more than I need as it is rated at 400 GPH at a 36" head.

then the overflow pipes are too large of diameter, and/or too much air is going down the drain. this is why full siphon systems (herbie and bean) are more efficient.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
02A7BA1C-1AAD-417C-9760-20964E149DFF.jpeg

I have a question about this configuration, specifically the white elbows that make 180 degrees and turn back down under the water line.

Basically, this is a siphon functioning as a hose over the side of the tank when doing a water change.

I have tried this configuration, albeit, not in an overflow box. The problem I have is that the water flows out quicker than the pump can return it to the DT.

How do you balance flow with this configuration?
Yep. I have a Spears gate valve on it. I started with it completely closed and slowly opened it up until it was letting enough water out. It’s super silent.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m confused. I thought this was a bean animal. I read that this is how you do a bean animal. The purpose of the elbows is so it can’t suction air down. I have the pipe going into the sump only about an inch or two deep so that it was able to purge the air. It’s loud for about 20 seconds after your turn the pump on, while air is coming out of the pipes. The It’s so quiet, you’d have no idea the tank was running.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
then the overflow pipes are too large of diameter, and/or too much air is going down the drain. this is why full siphon systems (herbie and bean) are more efficient.

I will say, I way oversized my pump. It’s running on setting 3 of 5. It’s 1750gph and I’ve only got about 80 gallons of water in it. My pipes aren’t very big either. I downsized to 3/4 pipes cause the 1 inch pipe seems like too much with 3 drain pipes.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m confused. I thought this was a bean animal. I read that this is how you do a bean animal. The purpose of the elbows is so it can’t suction air down. I have the pipe going into the sump only about an inch or two deep so that it was able to purge the air. It’s loud for about 20 seconds after your turn the pump on, while air is coming out of the pipes. The It’s so quiet, you’d have no idea the tank was running.

elbows allow for air. full siphon has no elbows.

0F1F2D8D-532D-4016-A225-1FD42D0119BC.jpeg

Last edited:

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, I way oversized my pump. It’s running on setting 3 of 5. It’s 1750gph and I’ve only got about 80 gallons of water in it. My pipes aren’t very big either. I downsized to 3/4 pipes cause the 1 inch pipe seems like too much with 3 drain pipes.
Oh I didn’t realize you downsized your plumbing :oops:. Wanna swap for my varioS 4?:D Lol
Only 12 months of use!

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
elbows allow for sit. full siphon has no elbows.

How does an elbow on a pipe that is completely submerged draw in air? Agreed it is technically not a Bean Animal as it’s a modification of the original design, but the main drain is a full siphon.

Put an elbow on the primary drain in your pic and it’s not going to draw air. Elbows may trap air that make starting a siphon more difficult, but once started, it’s a full siphon.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
elbows allow for sit. full siphon has no elbows.

I can take it off. I didn’t glue anything *in the overflow* on. It does form a siphon when the pump is running at level 2 without the elbows. I had to kick it up to 3 to get it to form the siphon with the elbows. I’m assuming it’s a siphon because it got quiet and no bubbles were coming out the back. I’ll have to go back and read where I saw them put the elbows. They had a reason. I think it was a brs episode.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didn’t realize you downsized your plumbing :oops:. Wanna swap for my varioS 4?:D Lol
Only 12 months of use!
Hahaha. The sump is rated for 125 gallon tank. So I wanted everything in it to be fully capable of that if I ever upgraded that tank. Plus. I wanted the ability to add on a manifold on that pump if desired. (Think that was your suggestion. ;) )

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does an elbow on a pipe that is completely submerged draw in air? Agreed it is technically not a Bean Animal as it’s a modification of the original design, but the main drain is a full siphon.

Put an elbow on the primary drain in your pic and it’s not going to draw air. Elbows may trap air that make starting a siphon more difficult, but once started, it’s a full siphon.

I do have to bump up the pump a bit to get it making a siphon with the elbow. I'm assuming its a full siphon because it quiets down. It doesn’t quiet down when the pump is running at 2.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbi & Bean Animal ;) ...Still wish there was a technical term

BTW Tank and stand looks good
1566419154231.png
1566419195353.png
1566419473527.png
Too funny! Maybe the elbow version of the bean animal can be named after me. We can call it the “over talker”. or wow style! ;Hilarious

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can take it off. I didn’t glue anything *in the overflow* on. It does form a siphon when the pump is running at level 2 without the elbows. I had to kick it up to 3 to get it to form the siphon with the elbows. I’m assuming it’s a siphon because it got quiet and no bubbles were coming out the back. I’ll have to go back and read where I saw them put the elbows. They had a reason. I think it was a brs episode.

i don’t trust brs on a lot of stuff. fact is - elbow means trapped air. you won’t always see bubbles. want to ensure you always have a full siphon? remove the elbow and make sure it’s about 5” below the water line.

OP
OP
Bleigh

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don’t trust brs on a lot of stuff. fact is - elbow means trapped air. you won’t always see bubbles. want to ensure you always have a full siphon? remove the elbow and make sure it’s about 5” below the water line.
1566425719183.png

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back