60 Gallon Modern Tall Marineland Mixed Reef

mrgster5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I wanted to introduce the biggest tank I've ever had, and I'm so excited. I started in January with a 14 gallon AIO cube, but I wanted bigger fish so I upgraded to an IM 30l AIO tank in February, and I loved it, but still, my heart wanted more fish. Then I got another 28-gallon JBJ AIO cube a couple of weeks later, so at this point, I have 2 tanks up and running. I went to the lfs every week for over a month looking for a Flame hawkfish
1621863938137.png
and every week there was the same Falco HHawkfish
1621863974032.png
, but they never got the Flame in. By the 5th week going into this store, I felt like the Falco knew me and wanted to come home. So I took him home and put him in my 30l with 2 clownfish, court jester goby, and a yellow damsel. He ended up terrorizing all my fish and killed my goby and damsel within days. I was so sad, so I knew he had to go. I set up my 14-gallon cube again and put him in there by himself. He is such a fun fish to watch I hate to give him up, but I don't know what fish he can safely be with at this point. I will have to take him back to the lfs or find him a new home. Now it is the end of May and I really want to get some more fish. I walked into Petsmart for some dog food and low and behold there was a 60 gallon on sale with the stand and glass lids. I wasn't sure about having such a tall narrow tank, but in actuality, it was longer, taller, and wider than the 30l so I went for it. I have an in-tank skimmer for filtration, 2 heaters, and 2 AI prime 16 HD
lights, along with a Nero 5 and 2 smaller wavemakers. I really like how big it is, but it's definitely lacking some height in the display. I put a coral beauty, 2 clowns, one blue damsel, one yellow damsel, 2 cleaner shrimp, and 2 pajama cardinals in it so far. The damsels love swimming the length of the tank and seem so happy. The others are hanging out by the rocks still, it's only day two so they are still adjusting I think. Here is a picture of the tank so far. Please let me know if you have any advice or ideas for it. Thanks so much.

1621865059077.png

Benjammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice. Tall tanks can be a challenge to light. Enough light at the top = not enough at the bottom.
what’s moving the water around?

OP
OP
mrgster5

mrgster5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UpU
tank.jpg

Update: I added some frag racks and a few branching rocks to give some height, also added a big rock of green mushrooms and pulsing xenia. Tank seems to be doing okay, but I know it needs better flow and light settings. I have two AI Primes and a Nero 5 plus 2 wavemakers, it's challenging to find the right placement for them. I also have 2 heaters, 2 skimmers and an ATO. If anyone has advice I'm all ears.

Also, my fish are: 2 clowns, coral beauty, blue damsel, and 2 pj cardinals. CUC: 2 cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, tuxedo urchin, star fish, lots of snails and a few blue legged crabs.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back