60 liters/16g tank with AI Prime 16HD

exesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

I'm new here. I hope I'm doing everything fine.
I'm from Germany and want to ask you for advice for my aquarium. I'm running a 60 liter/16g tank since 7-8 months. Before it was a 20 liter/5g tank for 2 months.
I noticed that I have some problems with my light (fluval 20W nano marine LED) at least I hope that the lightning is the problem. My corals are not growing anymore.
So I decided to get a new LED and hopefully tomorrow the AI Prime 16HD will arrive. I know that I have to set the different channels manually but there are different templates.
I would like to ask you if someone can recommend a template to me? Also how much power should I have at the end? I now there is an acclimation setting which I want to use but what should I use at the end?
I feel a bit slain by so many options and also so many options to do something wrong. So any help would be really appreciated :)

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! We love pictures!

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used the primes I ran this setting it was recommended by brs for a mixed reef.

89A659B2-D433-496B-A46B-3E857BDBF82A.jpeg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! The prime is a good choice for that size tank, I love them. I honestly can't give any advice for the setup, I would look at the preset templates that are available (such as the BRS setting) and see which suits you're livestock and personal preference. I'm sure a lot of people will share their setting with you as well.
Good day and God bless!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used the primes I ran this setting it was recommended by brs for a mixed reef.

89A659B2-D433-496B-A46B-3E857BDBF82A.jpeg
Wilkommen, wie gehts
This is the correct answer. For acclimating, just scale all to 1/2 or 1/3 and raise as you like after a couple of weeks.
I have one of these and love it.

OP
OP
E

exesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the nice welcome, really nice :).

Today the Prime arrived and I really like this LED. The light just looks... powerful? Really interesting.

I tried the recommended setting by WIReefer but I have following questions:
Isn't that too much power for that small reef? Maybe some additional data about my reef are important and good too share:
- 60l/16g - it is a qube with somethink like 38cmx38cmx43cm (last is the height but the water is only filled up to 39cm) or 15x15x17 inch.
- mostly LPS, softies, Ricordeas/Discosomas and just 3 SPS at the top.
- I set a acclimation phase to 28 days. Is that too short or too long? I know I have to look at the corals but maybe you have some experience of a minimum time frame?
- The LED is around 30cm / 12 inch above the water level.

I also tried the settings and noticed that it is too much blue for me. Can I just add some white to a level I would like? Or is that bad for the spectrum of the light?

Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
E

exesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I tried a bit and I also read a lot.
I found following configuration which I like:
Screenshot_20200708_212503_com.aquaillumination.prime - Kopie.jpg

Screenshot_20200708_212905_com.aquaillumination.prime - Kopie.jpg

This settings would from 10.30am to 8.30pm. 1hour starting and 1hour ending time. The ending would be more blueish. After that I would also have moonlight for around 40mins as I want to try this light too.

Do you think that this okay? I put green and red to 0 as I have a lot of cool white light. Would you recommend me to put more UV and violet in it? I'm a bit scared of burning the corals. Of course I'm using the acclimation mode for around the next 4 weeks.

Thank you very much for your help :)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I tried a bit and I also read a lot.
I found following configuration which I like:
Screenshot_20200708_212503_com.aquaillumination.prime - Kopie.jpg

Screenshot_20200708_212905_com.aquaillumination.prime - Kopie.jpg

This settings would from 10.30am to 8.30pm. 1hour starting and 1hour ending time. The ending would be more blueish. After that I would also have moonlight for around 40mins as I want to try this light too.

Do you think that this okay? I put green and red to 0 as I have a lot of cool white light. Would you recommend me to put more UV and violet in it? I'm a bit scared of burning the corals. Of course I'm using the acclimation mode for around the next 4 weeks.

Thank you very much for your help :)
Looking good. Thats not far off from the brs mix, with more white.
See how your corals like it.

OP
OP
E

exesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much :)
How long would you recommend to do the acclimation? And also at what percentage would you start? Something like 28 days starting at 40% Or at 50% or 35%?
And you would add no more violett and UV? The violett peak locks a bit low for me. I would like to help them growing as they didn't growth in the last months under not so good light...

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just a little caution the new 16hds have a slight different spectrum then the old ai prime HD’s.

BRS just did a video on the newer model and I believe they have recommended settings for a 18” cube which is just about your exact tank. I’dgo take a look at the video down below.

OP
OP
E

exesus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Nick Steele
Thanks for this link, that is really helpful. I had a look on the video (quickly skipped some minutes to the spectrum part) and I saw that they tested it at a 7,5gal and 25gal tank.
As I have 60l or 15g I think I should look for some settings between the settings for the 7,5gal and 25gal tank. And as most of my corals are LPS and soft I will also look for that settings then using SPS (I have only 3 SPS at the top).
So as they used 25% for the 7,5gal and 70% for the 7,5gal of their settings I will look for something around 50% of their settings for my 16gal LPS tank.

Do you think that this a good idea?

Only point I will change would be about the white light... I think I will add a bit more of the white so I will reduce green and red as I don't want too much of it in the light

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say that maybe 50% as a good starting point. Some lps like a little higher light and can handle it. I think even at 50% sps will have a hard time growing in that low of par.

I have mine right now at 70% on a 20g (24x15x13”) and I’m thinking of getting a second one to help with shadows and increasing par above the sps. I get about 100-140 par on my sand bed 12” under water and about 150-200 where I have some sps about 6” under water.

I actually have my whites at only 20% because I don’t like the wash out look of bright white lights.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 54.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.7%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.2%
Back