$60 rodi unit?

dawson reynolds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used the liqugen rodi unit on amazon? It’s got very good reviews and is very cheap.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Liqugen filter is this? There are several models on Amazon and the cheapest appears to be $120.

OP
OP
D

dawson reynolds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Liqugen filter is this? There are several models on Amazon and the cheapest appears to be $120.
517-RIYIfaL._AC_SX236_SY340_QL65_.jpg

LiquaGen - 4 Stage Reverse Osmosis/Deionization (RO/DI) Portable Space Saver...
by LiquaGen
$59.99
FREE Shipping on eligible orders
4.6 out of 5 stars (26)

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one a year or so ago. Its OK, but it depletes the resin really fast.Before I knew it I spent enough money with replacement filters and resin that I could have just bought a better quality one to begin with. So the moral of my story is you're better off just getting the BRS 4-stage RODI system for $150 which is better quality, longer lasting resin, and no need for any additional equipment like a TDS meter...

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Paleozoic_reefer. The problem with these units is they use relatively small proprietary filters. You're locked into buying LiquaGen filters instead of better/cheaper alternatives. The only thing that is standard is the RO membrane, which needs to be replaced least often.

I'd at the very least go with something like the BRS 4-stage, or a similar used unit that has standard filters all around.

OP
OP
D

dawson reynolds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one a year or so ago. Its OK, but it depletes the resin really fast.Before I knew it I spent enough money with replacement filters and resin that I could have just bought a better quality one to begin with. So the moral of my story is you're better off just getting the BRS 4-stage RODI system for $150 which is better quality, longer lasting resin, and no need for any additional equipment like a TDS meter...
Well I only have a 20 gallon so I would not be using a lot of water. How often do you think I would have to replace it?

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Paleozoic_reefer. The problem with these units is they use relatively small proprietary filters. You're locked into buying LiquaGen filters instead of better/cheaper alternatives. The only thing that is standard is the RO membrane, which needs to be replaced least often.

I'd at the very least go with something like the BRS 4-stage, or a similar used unit that has standard filters all around.
This! I very much regret buying the aquatic life twist in unit, same issues. In the long run it would have been cheaper to get the BRS unit.

lawnman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use one very similar called the RO Buddy from Chewy.com for the same price. Works great I have ran about 100 gallons so far and still zero tds.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above it looks like the Aqualife RO Buddy. I would say for a small tank it should be fine, unless you live in an area with really high TDS (ie NYC).

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above it looks like the Aqualife RO Buddy. I would say for a small tank it should be fine, unless you live in an area with really high TDS (ie NYC).
I see people say this a lot about NYC, but I have about 50 TDS. Isn't that considered pretty low? I see some RODI units specifically call out NYC for high sediment levels, but I guess I'm just not seeing that?

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people say this a lot about NYC, but I have about 50 TDS. Isn't that considered pretty low? I see some RODI units specifically call out NYC for high sediment levels, but I guess I'm just not seeing that?
TDS can vary quite a bit from house to house I hear.

40breederzach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RO buddy it takes about a 15 hours to fill a 32 gallon brute. I have made about 60 gallons and have depleted about 40% of the DI resin. I still have 0 TDS starting from about 125 straight tap. It works good fro me in an apartment with a 40B tank.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Keep in mind it's not just the TDS levels but what the TDS actually is. You end up with certain metals/minerals and it doesn't take much. Personally given as long as those pipes have been running and what has been through them, I wouldn't trust them at any level other than zero. I do hear that NYC tapwater is a crucial ingredient for a good slice of pizza though. :D

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind it's not just the TDS levels but what the TDS actually is. You end up with certain metals/minerals and it doesn't take much. Personally given as long as those pipes have been running and what has been through them, I wouldn't trust them at any level other than zero. I do hear that NYC tapwater is a crucial ingredient for a good slice of pizza though. :D
Totally with you on that. I have heard really good things about NYC tap water, though, and tests seem to bear that out. The tricky part is finding out what's in the pipes in my building.

And I'm actually eating one of those slices right now

Back