600i or 400i for 75 Gallon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Seanano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently placed an order for a 600i, it's still unfulfilled as of this post. I may call tom'r morning and talk w/ them. I was wondering if I went too large and should've gone w/ the 400i. It's a 75 gallon w/ 20 gallon sump, realistic water volume when all said and done will probably be < 80 gallons, between rock, sand and equipment displacement. Tank should be a med-high stocking. I've seen people w/ larger tanks getting away w/ the 400i and even preferring it after finding the 600i was too large. Am I making a mistake going w/ the 600i? Thanks

OP
OP
Seanano

Seanano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried calling a couple times this morning no answer. Left a message. Anyone know the best way to get hold of DeltecDirect

OP
OP
Seanano

Seanano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of this post the order is now fulfilled. I've emailed, posted here, and called(@ 8am, 9am, ~11am, ~2pm and ~4pm) and have received zero response even though their voicemail says they are on the other line and will contact shortly. I've left 2 voicemails. At this rate w/ the poor customer service I'm likely to return my order and ask for a refund. If need be I will contact my credit card company and dispute this. Deltec deciding to centralize their stateside business was a poor decision as usually is the case. You cannot charge premium price for a product and offer zero service. I've been in this hobby for almost 30yrs, this is tops of poor support. It's a shame Adam over at Battle Corals no longer is able to sell Deltec. I will be contacting their main offices in Germany.

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have an issue with an over size skimmer on a new system. It may not have enough organics to hold a proper head.
I ran a skimmer rated for a 90g full sps system to start my 120. 2 years later when it was grown in it required upgrading to an oversize skimmer to keep no3 @<5. That skimmer is rated for a 270 full sps and works quite well pulling 300ml of dark skim a day.

The riser tube is 3" on both models so I would stick with the 600 if it was me.

OP
OP
Seanano

Seanano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have an issue with an over size skimmer on a new system. It may not have enough organics to hold a proper head.
I ran a skimmer rated for a 90g full sps system to start my 120. 2 years later when it was grown in it required upgrading to an oversize skimmer to keep no3 @<5. That skimmer is rated for a 270 full sps and works quite well pulling 300ml of dark skim a day.

The riser tube is 3" on both models so I would stick with the 600 if it was me.
Fair. Thank you for the flushed out response. I'm likely to be adding a fleece roller, which is my primary concern. That if the 600 is oversized, then the addition the roller I'll just have a very expensive air stone/injector. The 600 is oversized by no means according to Deltec themselves however real world reviews indicate the skimmer is more efficient and they underrate them.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a filter roller for 2 months and went back to socks. Socks just work better in my system.
I do practice heavy in heavy out in my 120 and I do not feed the corals the fish do. I feed 8+ cubes a day so I need heavy skimming.
You can adjust how much you skim by water depth and the dc pump.
Either way good luck.

Last edited:

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair. Thank you for the flushed out response. I'm likely to be adding a fleece roller, which is my primary concern. That if the 600 is oversized, then the addition the roller I'll just have a very expensive air stone/injector. The 600 is oversized by no means according to Deltec themselves however real world reviews indicate the skimmer is more efficient and they underrate them.
Old post but......I have a red sea reef 250 with a 500 fleaceroller and deltec 600i, the skimmer is totaly over kill with 8 fish. I have to get the 400i, the 600i is running on lowest settings, and still its to effective

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post but......I have a red sea reef 250 with a 500 fleaceroller and deltec 600i, the skimmer is totaly over kill with 8 fish. I have to get the 400i, the 600i is running on lowest settings, and still its to effective
Sounds like you could feed more and still run the skimmer.
You could also keep your feeding the same and put the skimmer on a timer. Just run it at nite for several hours is an idea.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back