Wisco Tank/Build Updates

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Picked up a “New to me” project.
36x30x24, external beam animal overflow, Armored corners, 3” euro brace, triple layer bottom (full glass, glass insert, starboard). 1/2” glass. HEAVY!
Made by Crystal Reef Aquatics.
Matching custom CRA sump and aluminum stand.

First job… manage wife aggro

1625452258470.jpeg

1625452293647.jpeg

1625452328796.jpeg

1625452352517.jpeg

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Picked up a “New to me” project.
36x30x24, external beam animal overflow, Armored corners, 3” euro brace, triple layer bottom (full glass, glass insert, starboard). 1/2” glass. HEAVY!
Made by Crystal Reef Aquatics.
Matching custom CRA sump and aluminum stand.

First job… manage wife aggro

1625452258470.jpeg

1625452293647.jpeg

1625452328796.jpeg

1625452352517.jpeg
Can't wait to see what you do with it!

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting the research phase of things. I will be getting a 125g rr tank with a 55g sump this spring. It also has a t5/mh hybrid light with it. So now I’m looking for suggestions for a skimmer and internal return pump, it currently has an external. I will also be getting the dried out rock that was in his 180g so I’m covered that way.

as far as stocking goes I have just a few things in mind.
One spot foxface
A pair of ocellaris clownsmy wife also wants a bta( I have read at least waiting a year for the tank to mature)
Tuxedo urchin
After that I’m at a loss for smaller fish that the bta won’t bother, along with clean up crew.
Would love corals at some point, but have read that maybe a gamble with a bta. Would love a splash of red in the tank as well with the other fish.
Sorry for the long line of questions. Just want to learn and be a little more educated before I dive in. I have kept freshwater tanks for 15 years, but have limited knowledge with saltwater.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m looking for suggestions for a skimmer and internal return pump
I like the Nyos skimmers. 160 or 220 should work for a 125. Reef Octopus are also nice (I had the elite space saver).

For the pump, go DC. They are quiet and you can use feed mode when broadcast feeding corals. Most of the DC ones are close, so pick the one that fits best with your other components. If you are getting an Apex, then get something that works with that. You are looking for about 3-5x turnover. This is after the effect of head pressure. Assume about 10 ft of head pressure if the pump is in the stand right under the tank (the extra due to plumbing restriction)

You will also need flow pumps in the tank. Ideally one on each end with the ability to connect them for alternating flow. Conventional round pumps would be Nero 5 or MP40. The gyre style is also nice (I use maxspect gyre 330s). A gyre shoots a sheet of water across the top of the tank vs the round pumps that shoot a jet.

bta( I have read at least waiting a year for the tank to mature
Does not have to be a year, just once the tank has settled in. With dry rock you will go through a phase of hair algae. Once that dies down you are good to go. Rough timeline is that you will cycle the tank (so no ammonia showing), then you will go through this algae growth period for a month or two. Once your rock starts to turn a nice pink from coralline growth you are good to go.
After that I’m at a loss for smaller fish that the bta won’t bother, along with clean up crew.
After the cycle is done (Ammonia to zero) I would put in the clownfish and CUC. Then every few weeks you can add another fish. Try to go from least to most aggressive. Inches per gallon does not matter, it is more getting a mix that use different parts of the tank. Some stay on the bottom, others in the rocks and others swim more freely. Just watch for them to have a little home of their

The BTA won’t bother the fish. The pics you see of them eating a fish was likely a dead or close to dead fish that floated into it, but they won’t actively hunt.

Would love corals at some point, but have read that maybe a gamble with a bta.
Once the BTA finds a spot it won’t move. They like to have a nice amount of flow, light and a cave to foot in. It does not restrict the corals. The urchin will likely be a larger hinderance to corals as they can pick them up with their spikes. When you mount the corals, don’t cut off the whole plug, just cut off the stick part of the base leaving the flat table part. Then glue that to the rock. If the BTA decides to move and sit next to it, you can just pop off the coral and move it easily.

Start with some zoas. Lots of color and easier to grow. Then LPS (Blastos, hammer, frogspawn, torches (torches are more difficult)). Finally once the tank is nice and settled in you can do some SPS.

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response
I was actually thinking about a ro classic 150 sss for a skimmer. I do have an icecap gyre 2k on my 120g freshwater tank and 4 corellia nano pumps in my 75 gallon tank. Which I’ll be breaking down to sell. I’ll keep all the circulation pumps and the gyre. I also have a co2 tank and ph controller that I’m going to keep for the future( in case I need a calcium reactor) was looking at the ro various pumps. I know I’ll also need to buy a new ato. I have c-horse ato that comes with the tank but the controller seems doa. I would try to resurrect the euro reef skimmer that I was given. But I don’t have room for a 30” skimmer unless I ran it externally. I would have to find a pump for it anyway.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The RO skimmers are nice. They can be a bit expensive, so I like to watch the for sale forum here and Facebook marketplace. Shipping a skimmer is not too expensive. I just shipped one about that same size for ~$20-30.

In the RO varios line would go with the 6 or 8. The 8 would not be overkill, especially if you want to manifold off of it for any reactors. It is surprising how much flow you lose to plumbing.

For ATO, a lot of people get the Tunze. I have had one of the auto-Aqua and it was simple and inexpensive. Currently I am using the Apex ATK.

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about a controller, but think I should get the basics before I think about a controller. I know the tank will come with a hybrid light( t-5/mh with moonlighting), it seems to be missing some of the mounting legs. May have to figure out how to suspend it. From the ceiling isn’t an option. I have been thinking about getting leds. Would like to find something inexpensive, but still effective.
Once again thank you for the input.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about a controller, but think I should get the basics before I think about a controller. I know the tank will come with a hybrid light( t-5/mh with moonlighting), it seems to be missing some of the mounting legs. May have to figure out how to suspend it. From the ceiling isn’t an option. I have been thinking about getting leds. Would like to find something inexpensive, but still effective.
Once again thank you for the input.
I would urge you to reconsider or increase the priority on a controller/monitor/back up power system. Doesn't have to be fancy, can be DIY. I lost power last Christmas while I was out of town. I had someone checking every day... Bad pump tripped the gfci, power went out at 9pm, when they came to check at noon the next day, all my fish were dead. :(

I currently have a DIY monitor that will alert me within 10 minutes if the power goes out. As my list of tank inhabitants and corals grow within my tank, the cost of a wipeout gets more and more expensive.

saltynewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will be picking up a ro 150s and maxspect jump 10 pump for 300.00 is that a good deal? I know the pump is brand new in the box. He bought and realized he needed a bigger pump.

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds like a good deal. I think those pumps are like 250 new so

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Most of the stand is done now. I want to give it a look similar to the new Waterbox stands. It is on heavy duty leveling wheels. The interior walls are setup to create 3 zones. Left is for dosing containers, dosing pumps and skimmate locker. Right is for power bars and bricks and the center is for the sump. Controllers will be hanging on the left and right of the front for easy access. The cutout in the lower right is for a panel that will fit the Trident. I made it removable in case I change testing solutions in the future.

I used expanded PVC for the panels. I will be adding magnetic panels to the left/right and doors to the front.

1629739127847.png
1629739145067.png
1629739165387.png
1629739181480.png

Plumbing comes next....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'll have to snap some better shots but i am loving the new reefbrite t5 addition so far. My plan is to add another in the near future. My phone doesn't do it justice

20210831_164932.jpg 20210831_165106.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back