Wisco Tank/Build Updates

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are awesome fish! Whatever you do, don't get them from biota tho. What a rip off.
Have you had bad experiences with biota fish? Or just feel they are overpriced? I was thinking about getting a yellow tang from them when I get my new 80 gallon lagoon up and running...

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well boys I'm planning a tank transfer. The boys are going to be taking piano lessons, so a piano is going to go where my current tank is. Since we're rearranging the living room I'm going to be putting a tank there instead of the dining room.

I'm actually using this opportunity to change my setup as well. I was looking at the 40 gallon nuvo fusion AIO's and they look pretty sleek. The SCA 66 gallon looks pretty sleek as well. I'll let you folks know what I decide and take pictures.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had bad experiences with biota fish? Or just feel they are overpriced? I was thinking about getting a yellow tang from them when I get my new 80 gallon lagoon up and running...
Not biota in general. Just that a pair of mandarin gobies (a cheap common fish) was over $200 and they could literally fit inside a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon. It was a total disappointment and a rip off. Not something i would have added to my 180 gallon tank with fish that they were bite sizes snacks for. Maybe other stuff from them is just fine, I can only speak to my one experience with them.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well boys I'm planning a tank transfer. The boys are going to be taking piano lessons, so a piano is going to go where my current tank is. Since we're rearranging the living room I'm going to be putting a tank there instead of the dining room.

I'm actually using this opportunity to change my setup as well. I was looking at the 40 gallon nuvo fusion AIO's and they look pretty sleek. The SCA 66 gallon looks pretty sleek as well. I'll let you folks know what I decide and take pictures.
Sounds like an exciting project!

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you guys can help me make a decision.

I'm hovering between a couple different AIO's in the 50 Gallon range. I'm going with an AIO because I want maintenance to be as simple as possible on it, but still have a nice tank.

I'm struggling between the IM Nuvo Fusion 50 and the Waterbox 50.3 AIO. With a dark horse being the SCA starfire 66 gallon PNP system for a few more hundies.

The IM is the cheapest option, and I can even get it with some additions such as a UV and RFG (Random Flow Generators) for the same price as a barebones waterbox. I'll also need to factor in getting a skimmer, but that won't be a necessity for several months while the tank cycles and starts getting a bioload.

I know that Waterbox's build quality of their actual tanks is pretty unrivaled, but will IM be much behind? I like the idea of the extruded aluminum stand that the IM has, but the Waterbox one looks a bit sleeker. I'll be painting either one to match my living room colors and the waterbox looks like it might be easier to paint.

In either tank they have dual outputs and I already have a couple Sicce 250 gph pumps that I could immediately upgrade whatever they're using with.

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not biota in general. Just that a pair of mandarin gobies (a cheap common fish) was over $200 and they could literally fit inside a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon. It was a total disappointment and a rip off. Not something i would have added to my 180 gallon tank with fish that they were bite sizes snacks for. Maybe other stuff from them is just fine, I can only speak to my one experience with them.
Sorry guys, not sure how I’ve been missing these posts. Ive heard as well that they are tiny lol. I agree they are way over priced for the mandarins. What they do is awesome but I will most likely find them elsewhere for that size

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Maybe you guys can help me make a decision.

I'm hovering between a couple different AIO's in the 50 Gallon range. I'm going with an AIO because I want maintenance to be as simple as possible on it, but still have a nice tank.

I'm struggling between the IM Nuvo Fusion 50 and the Waterbox 50.3 AIO. With a dark horse being the SCA starfire 66 gallon PNP system for a few more hundies.

The IM is the cheapest option, and I can even get it with some additions such as a UV and RFG (Random Flow Generators) for the same price as a barebones waterbox. I'll also need to factor in getting a skimmer, but that won't be a necessity for several months while the tank cycles and starts getting a bioload.

I know that Waterbox's build quality of their actual tanks is pretty unrivaled, but will IM be much behind? I like the idea of the extruded aluminum stand that the IM has, but the Waterbox one looks a bit sleeker. I'll be painting either one to match my living room colors and the waterbox looks like it might be easier to paint.

In either tank they have dual outputs and I already have a couple Sicce 250 gph pumps that I could immediately upgrade whatever they're using with.
Tough choice, all of them sound like pretty sweet tanks. I suppose it comes down to what you want to live with for the next several years. What do you plan on keeping?

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Btw, I bought an awesome fire shrimp a couple of weeks ago. If you ever want a sweet looking shrimp that you’ll never see, buy one lol. Ive seen it maybe a total of 3 min in that time period. Last night it peeked out to confirm its existence but for less than 60 seconds

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To update you chaps,

I ended up ordering the Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 2 50 gallon AIO. I was waffling between that and the Waterbox 50.3 (and even the Red Sea Reefer 250 for a bit), but the IM went on sale for a good price with the stand included and I jumped on it. I'll be creating a build thread on it soon.
My plan is to move most of the existing fish in my system over to the new system. My final stocking plan is:

2 Oscellaris Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Firefish
1 six-line wrasse
1 Orchid Dottyback
1 Azure Damselfish
2 Kaudern's Cardinalfish

I also own a Two Barred Rabbitfish that I won't be able to keep in this system. I was okay with him in my 75 gallon for a bit, but even in that one I'd planned on re-homing him once he grew larger. My plan is to replace him with a Sailfin Blenny or Watchman Goby for algae cleanup.

I haven't decided on CUC or inverts yet. I have some Mexican Turbo and Nassarius Snails living in my 75 gallon, but I'm not sure if I plan on transferring them since honestly they don't seem very effective at actually cleaning up algae.

I'm planning on setting up my system for dosing so that besides ATO I'll never really have to do water changes, but that's a future plan once the tank is settled in. I ordered the UV from IM and media racks from inTank. I plan to user filter pads or floss rather than using socks. I haven't decided on a skimmer either, I've heard good things about the Eshopps and the K-1. The selection seems to be really limited for AIO tanks of this size that can also fit a skimmer rated for this much water.

My biggest concern with this type of tank was nutrient export. The algae scrubber in my 75 gallon worked great, but there's not really room for anything like that in this system, and the refugium compartments seem really small and lackluster. I might try to figure out some sort of algae reactor. My other option is to do Carbon dosing, but I don't know much about it and I don't really understand it all that well so I'm going to have to research that more.

My 75 gallon will be going down in the next few weeks and you'll probably see some equipment going up for sale on that. To give you guys first dibs I'll for sure be selling the Algae Scrubber, Klir DI-4 roller, and Simplicity DC Skimmer.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, I bought an awesome fire shrimp a couple of weeks ago. If you ever want a sweet looking shrimp that you’ll never see, buy one lol. Ive seen it maybe a total of 3 min in that time period. Last night it peeked out to confirm its existence but for less than 60 seconds

Ha! I was just looking at those on LiveAquaria. I'd like to wait for one of those Goby/Shrimp bonded pairs to go on sale, that would be really neat.

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
To update you chaps,

I ended up ordering the Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 2 50 gallon AIO. I was waffling between that and the Waterbox 50.3 (and even the Red Sea Reefer 250 for a bit), but the IM went on sale for a good price with the stand included and I jumped on it. I'll be creating a build thread on it soon.
My plan is to move most of the existing fish in my system over to the new system. My final stocking plan is:

2 Oscellaris Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Firefish
1 six-line wrasse
1 Orchid Dottyback
1 Azure Damselfish
2 Kaudern's Cardinalfish

I also own a Two Barred Rabbitfish that I won't be able to keep in this system. I was okay with him in my 75 gallon for a bit, but even in that one I'd planned on re-homing him once he grew larger. My plan is to replace him with a Sailfin Blenny or Watchman Goby for algae cleanup.

I haven't decided on CUC or inverts yet. I have some Mexican Turbo and Nassarius Snails living in my 75 gallon, but I'm not sure if I plan on transferring them since honestly they don't seem very effective at actually cleaning up algae.

I'm planning on setting up my system for dosing so that besides ATO I'll never really have to do water changes, but that's a future plan once the tank is settled in. I ordered the UV from IM and media racks from inTank. I plan to user filter pads or floss rather than using socks. I haven't decided on a skimmer either, I've heard good things about the Eshopps and the K-1. The selection seems to be really limited for AIO tanks of this size that can also fit a skimmer rated for this much water.

My biggest concern with this type of tank was nutrient export. The algae scrubber in my 75 gallon worked great, but there's not really room for anything like that in this system, and the refugium compartments seem really small and lackluster. I might try to figure out some sort of algae reactor. My other option is to do Carbon dosing, but I don't know much about it and I don't really understand it all that well so I'm going to have to research that more.

My 75 gallon will be going down in the next few weeks and you'll probably see some equipment going up for sale on that. To give you guys first dibs I'll for sure be selling the Algae Scrubber, Klir DI-4 roller, and Simplicity DC Skimmer.
What kind of algae scrubber do you have?

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a fire shrimp. Coolest looking but hardly ever see him unless I go searching for him. My cleaner on the other hand never hides

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a fire shrimp. Coolest looking but hardly ever see him unless I go searching for him. My cleaner on the other hand never hides

I had the greatest cleaner shrimp ever in my tank, was as personable as a dog until he tested himself into a power head.

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Anything new or fun going on? I added a few corals as of recent but that’s about it. Will post some pics when the lights turn on

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got most of my fish transferred to my new tank. I'm just waiting for a new protein skimmer to arrive to start my carbon dosing regimen. I got the rock from Aquatics Unlimited. It's not "Live" live rock, but they do dose ammonia sulfate so there is a lively colony of nitrifying bacteria on the rock.

PXL_20211021_010236446.MP.jpg

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything new or fun going on? I added a few corals as of recent but that’s about it. Will post some pics when the lights turn on
I’ve been in a holding pattern for the last 2 1/2 months waiting for my 80 gallon lowboy tank to come in. I ordered it from Milwaukee aquatics at the beginning of August and have been told 100 different reasons why it’s delayed. Could be pandemic related supply issues, or it could be the guy at Milwaukee aquatics is really flaky… No way to really tell. So I canceled my order with them and just re-ordered (at a higher price) from Tyler at Big Kahuna here in Madison instead. He says he found a wholesaler that has it in stock and says he should be able to order it on Monday for delivery Friday. Fingers crossed!!!

I already have my upgraded lights (a pair of AI Hydra 26’s) and powerheads (Jebao SLW-20’s) so once the tank comes in, I’m ready to roll.

Last edited:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been in a holding pattern for the last 2 1/2 months waiting for my 80 gallon lowboy tank to come in. I ordered it from Milwaukee aquatics at the beginning of August and have been told 100 different reasons why it’s delayed. Could be pandemic related supply issues, or it could be the guy at Milwaukee aquatics is really flaky… No way to really tell. So I canceled my order with them and just re-ordered (at a higher price) from Tyler at Big Kahuna here in Madison instead. He says he found a wholesaler that has it in stock and says he should be able to order it on Monday for delivery Friday. Fingers crossed!!!

I already have my upgraded lights (a pair of AI Hydra 26’s) and powerheads (Jebao SLW-20’s) so once the tank comes in, I’m ready to roll.

worse case make a really big (300+ gal) plywood tank ; /

even better a cement dive tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back