65 Gallon Mixed Reef Tank 36"L x 18"W x 24"T

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, merry Christmas lol. I just got mine last week and was doing the same thing you are because I want to go with a lot of SPS in this display. I even got the par meter just so I'd know, and be able to provide what they need instead of guessing. I checked par in our other DT that is fish some live rock and mushrooms. On this tank I have the duel 72in current orbit marine IC pros and honestly I thought the mushrooms were doing OK just not spreading much but always fluffy. I checked and only had 5par on the sand with blues at 100 and whites around 20 now I have the whites up to 60 and hits 37 on the sand now the mushrooms are really standing tall. I will be buying another reefbreeder for this tank soon. Just make sure to raise it high the higher the better. I'm at 13inches off the water. Canopy won't let me go higher. I was just looking at a person's tank that has theirs 18in and it is doing great on sps.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, merry Christmas lol. I just got mine last week and was doing the same thing you are because I want to go with a lot of SPS in this display. I even got the par meter just so I'd know, and be able to provide what they need instead of guessing. I checked par in our other DT that is fish some live rock and mushrooms. On this tank I have the duel 72in current orbit marine IC pros and honestly I thought the mushrooms were doing OK just not spreading much but always fluffy. I checked and only had 5par on the sand with blues at 100 and whites around 20 now I have the whites up to 60 and hits 37 on the sand now the mushrooms are really standing tall. I will be buying another reefbreeder for this tank soon. Just make sure to raise it high the higher the better. I'm at 13inches off the water. Canopy won't let me go higher. I was just looking at a person's tank that has theirs 18in and it is doing great on sps.
I have been second guessing myself on my
light choice, (possibly too big)? I added a photo of BRS Par ratings. I understand light is only at 8” above tank but wow that seams very strong, also I assume they are at 100% power. So turning down the light is an easy fix.
My three questions would be:
1) How far up do you think I will have to mount the light?
2) The light is also 32” wide, so you think too much light would spill out?
3) Would I be better off going with the 24+ which is 24” long and 48 - 3 and 5 watt LEDs compared to 72 - 3 and 5 watt LEDs on the 32+?

Any and all advice welcome!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back