65g Mixed Reef (Hopefully Picture Intensive ;))

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pocillipora is having polyps stripped off, I looked for pests, but only found asterina starfish, which I took out of the tank. No other pests. My Montipora spongodes has lost all polyp extension and is looking grayish, but the tissue is all still there. All of the Monti caps are fine. Any advice? My parameters are as follows:
Salinity: 1.025 SG
Calcium:430ppm
Alkalinity: 8.0 dkh
Magnesium: 1380ppm
Temp: 80 F
Nitrate: 2ppm
Phosphate: 0.03ppm

Only thing new in the tank is the reefbreeders powerhead, I turned it down last night from 100% to 5%

Please respond, the Pocillopora and Monti spongodes aren’t looking too hot!

Thanks!

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pocillipora is having polyps stripped off, I looked for pests, but only found asterina starfish, which I took out of the tank. No other pests. My Montipora spongodes has lost all polyp extension and is looking grayish, but the tissue is all still there. All of the Monti caps are fine. Any advice? My parameters are as follows:
Salinity: 1.025 SG
Calcium:430ppm
Alkalinity: 8.0 dkh
Magnesium: 1380ppm
Temp: 80 F
Nitrate: 2ppm
Phosphate: 0.03ppm

Only thing new in the tank is the reefbreeders powerhead, I turned it down last night from 100% to 5%

Please respond, the Pocillopora and Monti spongodes aren’t looking too hot!

Thanks!

Hi, your tank and setup looks really nice. Awesome list of corals too.

For your questions about what's happening with your monti I would goto another forum and try posting there. I would tend to agree with you in that it doesn't like the new flow, but it would be good to get other eyes on the problem. I've found that people don't frequent build threads too often (at least not mine lol), not enough to get the sort of advice you need.

Again, your tank looks awesome! Goodluck with the monti and poci.

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup!!
I am planning a 48 gallon lagoon. Tank is 30” long and I am going to go with the 24” photon V2 and two RPMs.

How do you like the light and the rpm?

The light is great, very powerful and covers the tank quite well. It grows corals very nicely. The 24in sounds good, I have a 24” over this tank which is 36” long and no complaints. The rpm, is very quiet and has a low profile in the tank, especially the cord (very thin). One complaint is that on pulse mode, I can hear a whining sound every time it pulses, very quiet but it is there. Also, the pump is less than a week old, and sometimes it takes a little while for the sound to break in. The flow is quite wide, but extremely powerful. I think you would only need one, but 2 might be okay as long as they were turned down. Overall though, I am impressed with all reefbreeders products.

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, your tank and setup looks really nice. Awesome list of corals too.

For your questions about what's happening with your monti I would goto another forum and try posting there. I would tend to agree with you in that it doesn't like the new flow, but it would be good to get other eyes on the problem. I've found that people don't frequent build threads too often (at least not mine lol), not enough to get the sort of advice you need.

Again, your tank looks awesome! Goodluck with the monti and poci.

Thank you for the reply, I will heed your advice! :)

Indiana Reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light is great, very powerful and covers the tank quite well. It grows corals very nicely. The 24in sounds good, I have a 24” over this tank which is 36” long and no complaints. The rpm, is very quiet and has a low profile in the tank, especially the cord (very thin). One complaint is that on pulse mode, I can hear a whining sound every time it pulses, very quiet but it is there. Also, the pump is less than a week old, and sometimes it takes a little while for the sound to break in. The flow is quite wide, but extremely powerful. I think you would only need one, but 2 might be okay as long as they were turned down. Overall though, I am impressed with all reefbreeders products.

I will start with one and go from there

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4E3E38B3-6E7D-442D-A7AF-F6936F70474A.jpeg
E9A5DF5F-E2F2-4D04-8D1E-810CFC45697B.jpeg

Here are pics of them today, the Montipora is regaining a little bit of PE and the poci has stopped necrosing.

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank! Two questions... how big is it and what power heads/wave makers are you using?
I have the same tank, sorry for my crappy pic but I have 2 gyres in the circled areas, one vertical blowing across the back and one horizontal top left. Seems to give me good flow all over the tank.
side note, its a pain to work in the bottom of this tank...

IMG_1198.JPG

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got back from short vacation... everything looks better than i left it and the Pocillopora is regaining its polyps in those areas. Montipora spongodes has full polyp extension. Yay!!

OP
OP
BranchingHammer

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
47DDEA33-704A-4045-831A-D477BD466CCB.jpeg
Only because of money, I have decided to purchase the Jebao DP 4.
Also went to a frag swap on Saturday and returned with some pretty cool stuff! Here are a few pics, more coming tomorrow.
Here is a no name Acro and a forest fire digi
It’s a shame because the Acro has blue tips normally that are washed out by these nighttime actinics. The forest fire looks pretty accurate though.
More coming... stay tuned...

Richgoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully your new additions settle in well.

Have you setup / calibrated your doser yet? I have the same model in the box for over a year now as I always get sidetracked when I go to set it up, I am curious if you have gotten through that phase yet?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back