Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just what I did... It worked out pretty well. I just got finished loading up
image.jpeg
with a few rocks and live sand. I'll let it settle overnight then transfer most of the other stuff from my leaky 28 gallon jelly bean jar ( JBJ ).
What is the gray pipe going into your return area

Ftrain576

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good Subbedout...Quick question..Did you experience any diatom issues, and if so how bad for how long?

OP
OP
Subbedout

Subbedout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man sorry to hear that, did you find out what was the cause? Tank looks amazing.
Thanks. Everything was going well and this happened.

I think it was too much top off water with kalk that was pumped into tank. I guess I need to keep the tank water level high before connecting the ATO. [emoji848]

Ftrain576

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea there will always be something..with kalk in the top off you have to always stay on top of your water level, and even with 2 part you have to stay on top of your salinity. Alkalinity and salinity out of whack will stress your sps corals. This hobby is just like a full time job.

OP
OP
Subbedout

Subbedout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea there will always be something..with kalk in the top off you have to always stay on top of your water level, and even with 2 part you have to stay on top of your salinity. Alkalinity and salinity out of whack will stress your sps corals. This hobby is just like a full time job.
Glad to know it's not just me. Seems like SPS is much more delicate compared to LPS...

OP
OP
Subbedout

Subbedout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: It's been almost a year after I first set up my tank. I've lost lots of coral over the months, but I am learning this hobby as I go.
cd109535ab761e5aa9232139572f592d.jpg
4930a24508058593190472b1777290e7.jpg
f9c28f5b69356f14b37f413b88471b02.jpg

Ftrain576

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...there is definitely a learning curve to this hobby. What type of coral did you loose the most of. There is a lot of info out there, sometimes too much. If you are trying to keep sps, I find that they do better if they are totally isolated in a mixed reef tank with lots of flow in their direction, whereas if you have an sps dominated tank, you need lots of random flow throughout th entire tank. I also find that tank stability is also important. If I have to adjust anything in the tank I will wait until it's time for scheduled maintenance, and do everything that day so that the corals can settle down and no be disturbed until the next scheduled maintenance. Your tank is still looking great. Is that a yellow coris I see back there. I got one 3 weeks ago, still haven't seen him since I put him in the tank. Beautiful fish though.

OP
OP
Subbedout

Subbedout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a bunch of SPS frags. My stupid self forgot to disconnect the ATO during s water change and it dumped a gallon of kalk water into trank and spiked alk. I'm just now trying to get back into SPS, though a couple frags survived.

Yes for coris wrasse two weeks ago. He hid for a week, came out for an hour, and disappeared since. I just saw him this morning surprisingly. They are shy apparently.

Thanks for the guidance and input!
Yeah...there is definitely a learning curve to this hobby. What type of coral did you loose the most of. There is a lot of info out there, sometimes too much. If you are trying to keep sps, I find that they do better if they are totally isolated in a mixed reef tank with lots of flow in their direction, whereas if you have an sps dominated tank, you need lots of random flow throughout th entire tank. I also find that tank stability is also important. If I have to adjust anything in the tank I will wait until it's time for scheduled maintenance, and do everything that day so that the corals can settle down and no be disturbed until the next scheduled maintenance. Your tank is still looking great. Is that a yellow coris I see back there. I got one 3 weeks ago, still haven't seen him since I put him in the tank. Beautiful fish though.

Ftrain576

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there, done that....Is your ato electronic or gravity fed? If its electronic the Reefkeeper or Apex can let you set them to shut off the ato when your ph goes crazy due to the excess kalk. A cheaper route would be a ph controller that can be used to shut down your ato when ph rises above a set point. I run the jbj ato with kalk on my other tank, and the pump on that thing will let me know when it's on if I accidentally leave it plugged in during a water change.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back