6600 Lt Mixed Coral Aquarium and Some Triggger Fish Suggestion..

AliOngel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I would like to get a pair of Bluethroat Triggerfish and a pair of Crosshatch Triggerfish. But I don't know if they are compatible with my tank. My tank is 6600 liter mixed coral aquarium. I have fish such as 60 Chromis, 50 Anthias, 2x yellow tang, sohal tang, achilles tang, White Tail Bristletoo Kole Tang, purple tang, naso tang etc. What would you suggest me to about add that triggers?

Aquarium Video :

e7f13750-972d-4dea-ac89-a8131b752078.JPG

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think a pair of either would work out— but I don’t think I’d chance both pairs. The Bluethroats are probably going to be more peaceable in that tank... not to mention the enormous price difference between them and the Crosshatches. Let us know what you ultimately do, and best wishes!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crosshatches are deepwater fish, they usually come in large and I’ve heard of them developing health issues over time. I’m more partial to a couple of angels pairs or harems and in a really big tank like yours, you could try quite a few. :)

If I had your tank I’d have every genus of angels from Centropyge to Holacanthus represented.

I’d get maybe 3 harems (I’m talking maybe 1 male and 2 females) of dwarf angels, pairs of medium angel species (Chaetodontoplus, Apolemichthys, smaller Pomacanthus like the Majestic etc.), a trio of Genicanthus, and finally 1 or 2 larger Pomacanthus or Holacanthus species (IMO a French Angel would look great, Chrysurus Angels look great too).

Just checked 6600L is about 1750 US gallons so you surely have lots of possibilities. :)

I’d totally consider a Harlequin Tusk. Foxface (Magnificent is the best looking) and other Rabbitfish species (except the really large ones) are also options.

And also look into more smaller fish to fill the rocks, like basslets, Blennies, Gobies, Hawkfish, Mandarins (try to get captive bred ones if possible) and so on.

Best looking Apolemichthys is the Goldflake, you could totally do a pair of them. Kingi from Madagascar is also rare and really good looking but the advantage of Goldflake Angels is that they have been captive bred and aren’t that hard to find captive bred. Assuming you live in Europe De Jong might have them.

Best looking Chaetodontoplus in my opinion are the Scribbled and Blue Line (even better, if you can find the “Maze” Angels which may or may not be hybrids rather than a valid species), though many in this genus have a more subtle beauty to them as well (the “Velvet” angels). Of course if you’re up for the price, there’s the Conspicuous Angels. :) Scribbled, Conspicuous you can find captive bred. If you can get Poma Labs to ship to Europe (you can email them, the founder Matt answers emails personally), you can get Blue Line and Singapore Angels from them captive bred. Conspicuous too.

Lamarck’s is the most plain Genicanthus though they’re still a very pretty fish to me. A trio of Spotbreasts, Bellus, Watanabei, or rarer, Japanese Masked Swallowtail would be great. If you can find some way to get Biota to ship to a wholesaler or LFS in Europe, maybe they’ll have their captive bred Spotbreasts sometime. :)

For Pomacanthus there’s the Majestic as a smaller option, think they may be the smallest of the genus. Slow growing as far as I know. Of course there’s also the Emperor Angel, yellow tailed ones from Christmas Island look the best. Chrysurus from Africa looks great too, even when it matures it looks like a juvenile large angel.

Holacanthus are restricted to the Atlantic. I don’t know as much as I do about this genus except that the Rock Beauty is one that’s harder to maintain than the others.

Many options for Centropyge too. Flame Angels are good looking and always in demand. A number of users here keep them in pairs or harems. They have been bred in captivity, though not sure how available they are. Coral Beauties are bred by ORA and Biota, you can contact them or maybe De Jong will import them from these two companies. Some of the more difficult, deepwater species like the Venusta, Multi-Bar and Colin’s look great too and all three are captive bred by Bali Aquarich. Find captive bred ones if you can.

The smaller species like the Cherub, African and Brazilian (blue tail version of the African) Flamebacks, Pacific Pygmy and Fisher’s (likely the same species, if you see C. Fisheri and C. Flavicauda know you’re getting the some fish) are considered “Pygmy” angels and the smallest in the family. All do well (for the most part), with the Cherub and African Flameback being captive bred. The Multicolor is also another smaller species that hypothetically gets to 9cm tops, but my angelfish book by Rudie Kuiter says they usually don’t exceed 7cm.

Hope this helps!

Don’t forget you can put lots of wrasses in there too, lots of options too. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
AliOngel

AliOngel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crosshatches are deepwater fish, they usually come in large and I’ve heard of them developing health issues over time. I’m more partial to a couple of angels pairs or harems and in a really big tank like yours, you could try quite a few. :)

If I had your tank I’d have every genus of angels from Centropyge to Holacanthus represented.

I’d get maybe 3 harems (I’m talking maybe 1 male and 2 females) of dwarf angels, pairs of medium angel species (Chaetodontoplus, Apolemichthys, smaller Pomacanthus like the Majestic etc.), a trio of Genicanthus, and finally 1 or 2 larger Pomacanthus or Holacanthus species (IMO a French Angel would look great, Chrysurus Angels look great too).

Just checked 6600L is about 1750 US gallons so you surely have lots of possibilities. :)

I’d totally consider a Harlequin Tusk. Foxface (Magnificent is the best looking) and other Rabbitfish species (except the really large ones) are also options.

And also look into more smaller fish to fill the rocks, like basslets, Blennies, Gobies, Hawkfish, Mandarins (try to get captive bred ones if possible) and so on.

Best looking Apolemichthys is the Goldflake, you could totally do a pair of them. Kingi from Madagascar is also rare and really good looking but the advantage of Goldflake Angels is that they have been captive bred and aren’t that hard to find captive bred. Assuming you live in Europe De Jong might have them.

Best looking Chaetodontoplus in my opinion are the Scribbled and Blue Line (even better, if you can find the “Maze” Angels which may or may not be hybrids rather than a valid species), though many in this genus have a more subtle beauty to them as well (the “Velvet” angels). Of course if you’re up for the price, there’s the Conspicuous Angels. :) Scribbled, Conspicuous you can find captive bred. If you can get Poma Labs to ship to Europe (you can email them, the founder Matt answers emails personally), you can get Blue Line and Singapore Angels from them captive bred. Conspicuous too.

Lamarck’s is the most plain Genicanthus though they’re still a very pretty fish to me. A trio of Spotbreasts, Bellus, Watanabei, or rarer, Japanese Masked Swallowtail would be great. If you can find some way to get Biota to ship to a wholesaler or LFS in Europe, maybe they’ll have their captive bred Spotbreasts sometime. :)

For Pomacanthus there’s the Majestic as a smaller option, think they may be the smallest of the genus. Slow growing as far as I know. Of course there’s also the Emperor Angel, yellow tailed ones from Christmas Island look the best. Chrysurus from Africa looks great too, even when it matures it looks like a juvenile large angel.

Holacanthus are restricted to the Atlantic. I don’t know as much as I do about this genus except that the Rock Beauty is one that’s harder to maintain than the others.

Many options for Centropyge too. Flame Angels are good looking and always in demand. A number of users here keep them in pairs or harems. They have been bred in captivity, though not sure how available they are. Coral Beauties are bred by ORA and Biota, you can contact them or maybe De Jong will import them from these two companies. Some of the more difficult, deepwater species like the Venusta, Multi-Bar and Colin’s look great too and all three are captive bred by Bali Aquarich. Find captive bred ones if you can.

The smaller species like the Cherub, African and Brazilian (blue tail version of the African) Flamebacks, Pacific Pygmy and Fisher’s (likely the same species, if you see C. Fisheri and C. Flavicauda know you’re getting the some fish) are considered “Pygmy” angels and the smallest in the family. All do well (for the most part), with the Cherub and African Flameback being captive bred. The Multicolor is also another smaller species that hypothetically gets to 9cm tops, but my angelfish book by Rudie Kuiter says they usually don’t exceed 7cm.

Hope this helps!

Don’t forget you can put lots of wrasses in there too, lots of options too. :)
Thank you for the detailed answer. But what I'm really curious about is how the fish living in the aquarium will be compatible with the Trigger group I want to buy?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the Triggers you’re considering are particularly aggressive, and as far as I know the Harlequin Tusk and some of the angels I mentioned don’t have any particular conflict with the Triggers you’re considering. Shouldn’t be too bad.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! That's quite the tank.

I wouldn't expect problems in such a large tank, although I haven't kept those myself. Please keep us updated.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back