69 Gal Red Sea stocking list

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive narrowed the list down to these. I get if all cant go in the tank but from the research lve done these seem to work the best for what l want in the tank.

a clown pair
Orchid dottyback ( the purple one)
Bicolored dwarf angel
Purple firefish
Mandrin dragonet (when l have enough copods in the tank for them)
A fairy and a orangeback longfin wrasse
Flame hawkfish
Engineer goby (if it works since they get like 14 inches long)
Blue spot jawfish
And maybe some kind of blenny

i was looking at a royal gramma but lve read people can have some issues with them if they have a dottyback or vice versa. Ive also seen that the dottyback listed above is not known to be “evil” like others haha.
I'd really recommend that you nix the Mandarin dragonet/goby and the blue spot jawfish. Mandarins are really best only for mature tanks and require specialized care by experienced reefers; even captive-bred mandarins are hit-or-miss with frozen foods. If this is a must-have fish for you, then make this a long-term goal.

Blue spot jawfish are best left for a species tank, as they do best in temperate waters. That means that you'll need to buy a chiller to maintain them in optimal health, and then you'd have to rethink the rest of your fish list to include only subtropical species like catalina gobies and pygmy whitepotted filefish. Jawfish also require some thought about living spaces and aquascape; many people create special caverns for them out of PVC piping. They can also be a pain to feed.

Do not get a firefish or a wrasse unless you have some type of tightly-secured lid, or your fish are going to go carpet-surfing.

And remember -- do not get a purple dottyback. Those fish are quite aggressive and will probably nip a tankmate if they're stressed or are in a territorial dispute. Get the orchid dottyback (or, if you want a dark navy fish with electric blue highlights, the springeri dottyback).

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really recommend that you nix the Mandarin dragonet/goby and the blue spot jawfish. Mandarins are really best only for mature tanks and require specialized care by experienced reefers; even captive-bred mandarins are hit-or-miss with frozen foods. If this is a must-have fish for you, then make this a long-term goal.

Blue spot jawfish are best left for a species tank, as they do best in temperate waters. That means that you'll need to buy a chiller to maintain them in optimal health, and then you'd have to rethink the rest of your fish list to include only subtropical species like catalina gobies and pygmy whitepotted filefish. Jawfish also require some thought about living spaces and aquascape; many people create special caverns for them out of PVC piping. They can also be a pain to feed.

Do not get a firefish or a wrasse unless you have some type of tightly-secured lid, or your fish are going to go carpet-surfing.

And remember -- do not get a purple dottyback. Those fish are quite aggressive and will probably nip a tankmate if they're stressed or are in a territorial dispute. Get the orchid dottyback (or, if you want a dark navy fish with electric blue highlights, the springeri dottyback).
Ah okay I did not know that about Jawfish, thank you! Could the two dottybacks you listed go together?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah okay I did not know that about Jawfish, thank you! Could the two dottybacks you listed go together?
I wouldn't mix dottyback species on my first go. Fridmani and springeri dottybacks have the same body shape and living requirements, and may fight if they're competing for the same territory.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't mix dottyback species on my first go. Fridmani and springeri dottybacks have the same body shape and living requirements, and may fight if they're competing for the same territory.
Ah yeah that makes sense. Which one is easier to keep as far as aggression? Are royal grammas okay to keep with them? Ive seen some posts where people have issues with them and dottybacks

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their temperament is similar. Springeri dottybacks spend more time in the rockwork, and grammas tend to perch on it, so it's possible that they'd have less contact in a tank. I'd skip the gramma if it might be an issue: orchid dottybacks are that stunning that they make grammas look sort of dull in comparison.

I've never seen any of my dottybacks have an aggressive interaction with other species, so I'm the wrong person to ask. :)

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their temperament is similar. Springeri dottybacks spend more time in the rockwork, and grammas tend to perch on it, so it's possible that they'd have less contact in a tank. I'd skip the gramma if it might be an issue: orchid dottybacks are that stunning that they make grammas look sort of dull in comparison.

I've never seen any of my dottybacks have an aggressive interaction with other species, so I'm the wrong person to ask. :)
Ah okay makes sense. Does the orchid dottyback swim about more than the springeri ?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say; orchid dottybacks are certainly more noticeable because of their extraordinary colouring. It's a horizontal exclamation point of pink.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have multiple wrasse in the tank?

i was looking at a sixline, orangeback fairy and a longfin fairy wrasse. Would they work together?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back