• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

7" Filter sock holder for a 150 gallon Stock tank

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This thread is for the general discussion of the classified ad 7" Filter sock holder for a 150 gallon Stock tank. For more information about this item, please click the link or ask a question in this thread.

Please add to the discussion here.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Probably but I'd want to customize for a different size just because I can.
a 75gallon stock tank? Or are you looking for something to hold a 7" sock on a production 75gallon glass tank like a marineland or aqueon?
I can design it so its just right for you...

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75G Aqueon to be used as a sump tank for a 210g DT. I am going to get glass baffels but I need to find a holder that will fit over the trim lip on the tank to hold the socks. I want them up higher than putting on the glass baffles will give. They would be too low in the tank on the baffels.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can do something like that. Want it for the corner?
I am thinking center of the side panel for placement. I am trying to decide if I need 2 socks or 1 however. If two I think corners but for one center. What do you think?

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I suppose I would base it on what is going on with the return lines. I've seen a guy with a 310 gallon using 2 7" socks; a 7" sock doesn't look that big with a 2" return line going to it. So, I'd do two on whatever side the pipes are coming in on (or look goo going to).

Thats if you are dedicated to using socks. Personally, I would design and build myself a roller fleece like I did on my current tank. I've really liked what I've come up with; especially after using fleece from Precision Converting.
If you're interested, I can walk you through designing your own that you can make out of extruded ceiling tiles, gutter guard, PVC pipe glue, CA glue, a few parts (motor, float switch, 12 adapter) from amazon and a few 3D printed parts similar to the ones I'm using.
It takes a little fine tuning once you get it built (to keep the fleece aligned) but I've found that is a one time deal and was only really important when using the Pellon 910 fabric instead of the filter paper.

let me know what you think.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will start with socks. Roller fleece is a good upgrade, but socks are a lot more affordable currently and my time is more limited. I really want roller fleece, but I don't mind swapping socks out 3 times a week.
The DT will be sitting over the sump now. The DT is bottom drilled, I am going to plumb the drains to the left side of the sump. So I was thinking two socks one for each drain. If they are connected together in one unit that would be awesome, but separate is good too.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Something like this might do the trick?
7InchSockAqueonTank.jpg

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That looks great! Do you need the trim lip measurements? I can dig out my caliper.
I've based it off a 30 gallon breeder and a 120G Oceanic I have on-hand. I can print it and test it at the lfs on an Aqueon tank so no need unless you're itching to give it a go. I'll try to get some photos of the fit.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'll just set something up on eBay so anyone can get them. is $20/ea a fair price? - will be USPS shipping based on zip and package size/weight.
I'll get some photos with it on various tanks as well.
I'll make another item for it here in the marketplace.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've tested the 1" rimmed tank version and it works but not for your tank so I have make a 1.5" version. The larger version works on my Oceanic 120 now and I will take it to test and get photos at the lfs on Aqueon tanks.

I've added some photos to the above thread

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Will this fit a 100 gallon stock tank?

corey
probably; I've only seen it on a 150 gallon stock tank. I think I made it with a 2" radius on the hanger. If you're serious, I can get you some sections with measurements.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested. But here is my dilemma…. My socks are four inches and don’t have the plastic inserts. They have string which I attach to screw to hold them in place. Not the most ideal, but it works.

corey

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would be interested. But here is my dilemma…. My socks are four inches and don’t have the plastic inserts. They have string which I attach to screw to hold them in place. Not the most ideal, but it works.

corey
I could just design a 4" sock holder that'll fit on a stock tank for you.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back