700 Gallon ReBoot of My Dream Tank

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short story first is I had an existing 730 gallon reef tank installed in my office at our first commercial location. Tank was purchased online from an outfit(not to say who but they don't have a very good record). Needless to say that I could not turn down the price of this tank. It was at least 50% cheaper than every other tank I could find. Like the saying goes you get what you pay for. One day I came to work to find a broken center brace. Luckily the tank did not fail and I knew I needed to make a change. At this same time we were in process of moving location so it was time to do a full reboot. There was several things that I wanted to correct and things I learned from old tank that I was determined not to repeat. Here is pic of my original tank.
Old reef tank.jpg

We were doing a full retrofit of the new location so it lent me time to do things the way I wanted to fix the issues that I felt were holding me back from having the dream SPS dominated reef tank that I always wanted.

The short list of what I thought were issue in this first setup;

1) If I was going to do this again I am going to get a better built tank.
2) Had main pump fail while I was gone. Redundant return pumps needed!
3) Sump was poor quality acrylic that started cracking 4 years into use.
4)Poor space for equipment. I had equipment stacked on top of each other. Made it very hard to work on tank.
5)Live stock. Mushrooms, mushrooms, mushrooms everywhere stinging my corals and spreading uncontrollability. RBA's taking over tank. Pests that I could not get rid of. Ich ect...
6) Better testing, meaning I would test regularly.
7) Media reactors being fed with small pumps that would fail and not know it.
8) Move away from the 6 400 watt metal halides that used a tremendous amount of electricity and created a lot of heat.

Just a short list but what I thought was really keeping me from obtaining my dream tank SPS dominated tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new bulding.jpg

The idea of new tank started May 27,2016 when my wife and I settled on a new location:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the teaser is out:), hows that new tank looking? Fowling now!

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while we had to work on a complete redo of the building I was also working hard on my design of my new tank. First step was deciding on a tank manufacturer. This time I wasn't going to look at only price but a well recommended custom builder of tanks. With help I settled on a tank manufactured by Planet Aquariums out of Texas. Here is design:
tank design1.png

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the tank design done I turned my attention to the plumbing. I decided to get away from the glass tube heaters and go with something more commercial. I ordered a Aqua Logic 2KW Titanium inline heater.
heater.jpg

I also wanted to do away with the multiple phosban 550 reactors for GFO, Carbon ect.. So I decided on BRS jumbo reactors and would tie them into a manifold so I didn't need to worry about those annoying pumps that failed all the time. Returns pumps would be redundant with (2) hammerhead Barracuda Hybrid Gold return pumps. Also, I wanted to do away with those cheap valves from the hardware stores that the handles break off every time you want to actually use them. Went with all SCHED 80- CPEX BALL VALVES;

cepex-tubv-pvc_1.jpg

I am sure I am forgetting something in the plumbing but time for a picture or two.

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
newtank on fork.jpg
October 5, 2016 tank finally arrives but not a minute too soon because contractor is pushing me to place tank so he can close up the walls.
newtank on truck.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good choice on the tank.

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because of the size of the tank there way no easy way to get this in before walls were built. Also with the weight of tank it would be extremely hard to move. So contractor left a whole in block firewall so we could drive fork lift through opening to set tank.
fish tank3.jpg

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One big thing I was not going to be without is a backup generator at our new location. I made sure that new generator would not only backup our mission critical items but would have enough extra juice to run aquarium in the event of blackout.

generator.jpg

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally tank in place and drywall wrapping finished.
fish tank.jpg

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
January 17th 2017 day 1 plumbing. After hours of discussion our plan it came down to using the tank as our white board. Hey what ever works.

white board.jpg

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't want the cheap sump that I had before that was failing in just 5 short years so upgraded to a Tideline sump by trigger systems.
sump.jpg

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have to say plumbing is not my forte and with being in the middle of construction there way no way I would be able to complete this in time. So I got help. We started on January 17.2017 and it took 3 of us well mostly 2 since I was just supervising over 2 days to install.

sump plumb.jpg

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were in such a time crunch in construction we were working around the clock and so were the contractors.
contractors.jpg

OP
OP
cumbeje

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of my dual hammerhead Barracuda Hybrid Gold return pumps. Not pictured here is I tied in a T with a ball valve so if anyone pump failed the T could be opened to put flow through both return circulation pipes. The flow would be reduced but there would be flow.

dual pumps.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back