700+ Gallon with house addition

TylerC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after some long heated debates with the wife she has decided to let me do my big tank but I had to add a master bedroom suite. So master suite has been added and I’m getting ready to cut the hole for the the new tank and equipment/fish room display will be half in my kitchen half in my living room. The tank is 120x36dx30tall I have hired acrylic habitats out of Orlando to build the tank along with a custom 60x24x24 sump filter sock refugium skimmer setup.
I wasn’t going to start the build thread until I got a bit further along but the time has come I need to start getting serious about equipment. I’ll post some pics of my current setup. As we stand right now I have 4 gen4 pro xr15s full apex system with every add on you can imagine including the trident. I like everything matching and Neptune is a brand I’ll stand behind. I have 2 mp40s but unfortunately they only do up to 3/4 glass and my new tank is 1 inch. So moving on I need some guidance on what someone with experience with big tanks would do equipment wise. The tank will be ready by the end of the month. I have planned on doing 2 cor 20s in the sump and running 4 returns , 2 wavs for flow and 2 48 inch t5 aquatic life hybrids with the xr15s installed
ill post some more info on overflow later.i have already have the rs300 skimmer in. I’m interested in equipment opinions.

4CBA4125-743B-452E-BC16-67D085AA7CB4.jpeg FB494389-15D3-46EE-B912-258C814B9CC6.jpeg 593BA3BC-427C-4811-B212-676E8D4F6D89.jpeg CE7B1D8E-E6D5-4540-956B-672B452120E4.jpeg 368ABB9E-DE97-43C9-AE39-F5B221EDA5F0.jpeg 73532DD5-5A29-43A2-8FBF-56FE8DABD36A.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0764.MOV
    39.7 MB

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Are you adding an addition to the left side of the house assuming the right side is the addition for the master bedroom?
So after some long heated debates with the wife she has decided to let me do my big tank but I had to add a master bedroom suite. So master suite has been added and I’m getting ready to cut the hole for the the new tank and equipment/fish room display will be half in my kitchen half in my living room. The tank is 120x36dx30tall I have hired acrylic habitats out of Orlando to build the tank along with a custom 60x24x24 sump filter sock refugium skimmer setup.
I wasn’t going to start the build thread until I got a bit further along but the time has come I need to start getting serious about equipment. I’ll post some pics of my current setup. As we stand right now I have 4 gen4 pro xr15s full apex system with every add on you can imagine including the trident. I like everything matching and Neptune is a brand I’ll stand behind. I have 2 mp40s but unfortunately they only do up to 3/4 glass and my new tank is 1 inch. So moving on I need some guidance on what someone with experience with big tanks would do equipment wise. The tank will be ready by the end of the month. I have planned on doing 2 cor 20s in the sump and running 4 returns , 2 wavs for flow and 2 48 inch t5 aquatic life hybrids with the xr15s installed
ill post some more info on overflow later.i have already have the rs300 skimmer in. I’m interested in equipment opinions.

4CBA4125-743B-452E-BC16-67D085AA7CB4.jpeg FB494389-15D3-46EE-B912-258C814B9CC6.jpeg 593BA3BC-427C-4811-B212-676E8D4F6D89.jpeg CE7B1D8E-E6D5-4540-956B-672B452120E4.jpeg 368ABB9E-DE97-43C9-AE39-F5B221EDA5F0.jpeg 73532DD5-5A29-43A2-8FBF-56FE8DABD36A.jpeg

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the tank be a “standard” set up as a peninsula? With that much water volume in my opinion flow management s a high priority. I have a pretty large display (96x36x43) set up as a peninsula. As I didn’t want magnets from power heads on any viewing panel, I incorporated a closed loop. As the tank is in the construction process, if a closed loop would be something you would want it would be easy for the builder to drill it.

OP
OP
T

TylerC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Are you adding an addition to the left side of the house assuming the right side is the addition for the master bedroom?
The addition is done it was added to the right side my old master bedroom is the new display room and living room

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TylerC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the tank be a “standard” set up as a peninsula? With that much water volume in my opinion flow management s a high priority. I have a pretty large display (96x36x43) set up as a peninsula. As I didn’t want magnets from power heads on any viewing panel, I incorporated a closed loop. As the tank is in the construction process, if a closed loop would be something you would want it would be easy for the builder to drill it.
The front left panel will be visible and the front panel the rest of the tank will be black and in the equipment room that is 15x12

OP
OP
T

TylerC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The front left panel will be visible and the front panel the rest of the tank will be black and in the equipment room that is 15x12
I’m a contractor with a masters license in plumbing electrical and Hvac in Florida so let’s say I have unique set of skills for this hobby.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a contractor with a masters license in plumbing electrical and Hvac in Florida so let’s say I have unique set of skills for this hobby.
Should be an interesting build then! I hope to see some nice plumbing on that tank! Are you gonna have all the equipment under the tank or in an equipment room?

jack220

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are a Man after my own heart!! I needed to build extra supports in the basement (laminate beams with extra posts under the area of each tank). Then we built a wine cellar, rewired the house to 400 amps to supply enough power, installed 2 generators and 600 gal propane tank, converted the rest of the basement to a filtration room, and finally converted a bathroom to an RODI production room. I recently figured out a way to fit a 180 reef tank in an empty space behind the wall of the corridor leading from the foyer to our formal and informal dining and entertainment centers. My wife informed me that if she sees me measuring out space upstairs she’s going to move to one of our guest cottages. I had To think about it, her closet would be perfect for an upstairs fish room....just kidding about that, the closet is not big enough. Unfortunately, just as I was cranking up the dual 220s, a surgeon screwed up a minor operation and left me paralyzed from the chest down, blind in one eye, and with limited use of my hands. Now I need two techs twice a week to keep everything running properly. Yikes, I hadn’t figured that cost into the job. Now I can’t get to the basement Without wheeling all the way to the back basement entry. This place sits on a cliff overlooking a 70 foot drop the water, and a glacial spring in the back. It’s quite dangerous to wheelchair around the grounds. I’m looking into one of those tank tread wheelchairs for extra stability. The point is, we will both do anything necessary to feed our reef addictions. Right now I am battling Dino’s in tank four. What a pain in the butt. I’ll post some pix now that I have a real camera.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a wheelchair with tank tracks, you better mount a cannon to that sucker.cant give the kids a chance to steal your corals while you’re rollin back to the car! ;Hilarious ;Nailbiting
You are a Man after my own heart!! I needed to build extra supports in the basement (laminate beams with extra posts under the area of each tank). Then we built a wine cellar, rewired the house to 400 amps to supply enough power, installed 2 generators and 600 gal propane tank, converted the rest of the basement to a filtration room, and finally converted a bathroom to an RODI production room. I recently figured out a way to fit a 180 reef tank in an empty space behind the wall of the corridor leading from the foyer to our formal and informal dining and entertainment centers. My wife informed me that if she sees me measuring out space upstairs she’s going to move to one of our guest cottages. I had To think about it, her closet would be perfect for an upstairs fish room....just kidding about that, the closet is not big enough. Unfortunately, just as I was cranking up the dual 220s, a surgeon screwed up a minor operation and left me paralyzed from the chest down, blind in one eye, and with limited use of my hands. Now I need two techs twice a week to keep everything running properly. Yikes, I hadn’t figured that cost into the job. Now I can’t get to the basement Without wheeling all the way to the back basement entry. This place sits on a cliff overlooking a 70 foot drop the water, and a glacial spring in the back. It’s quite dangerous to wheelchair around the grounds. I’m looking into one of those tank tread wheelchairs for extra stability. The point is, we will both do anything necessary to feed our reef addictions. Right now I am battling Dino’s in tank four. What a pain in the butt. I’ll post some pix now that I have a real camera.

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great. I'm following.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%

Back