!!!7000+ POUNDS OF GLASS!! YOU GUYS UP FOR A BUILD OR WHAT??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh my Gosh this thread is long overdue for an update! where to begin. Kind of in a constant state of modifying updating and changing things around here like nothing is really static at all except the tanks. I'm selves, I suppose..lol

anyway, so a little over a year ago I started running Kalk to help with Lower PH and I think I may have posted some info on that.

Well I recently decided to scrap all that and go back to my just my calcium reactors kind of simplify things. I was running Kalk at night and the calcium ractor would run during the day and I really just had a hard time dialing in my alkalinity. It was really all over the place for about a year and I know a lot of my sps weren't exactly thrilled about this.

But since I pulled the Kalk reactor my alkalinity has been a lot more stable. PH been a little bit lower but my pH has always been on the low side ever since the basement days. lol

Curious, anyone run into problems trying to run a duel, calcium management system with the reactor and Kalkwasser?

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my Gosh this thread is long overdue for an update! where to begin. Kind of in a constant state of modifying updating and changing things around here like nothing is really static at all except the tanks. I'm selves, I suppose..lol

anyway, so a little over a year ago I started running Kalk to help with Lower PH and I think I may have posted some info on that.

Well I recently decided to scrap all that and go back to my just my calcium reactors kind of simplify things. I was running Kalk at night and the calcium ractor would run during the day and I really just had a hard time dialing in my alkalinity. It was really all over the place for about a year and I know a lot of my sps weren't exactly thrilled about this.

But since I pulled the Kalk reactor my alkalinity has been a lot more stable. PH been a little bit lower but my pH has always been on the low side ever since the basement days. lol

Curious, anyone run into problems trying to run a duel, calcium management system with the reactor and Kalkwasser?
I'm running both and I've only recently started having issues since I switched to doing kalk at night. Used to run it 24/7 and it was a bit more stable so I may switch back. Using a trident to turn off CO2 as needed so it manages itself well enough, but my alk swing went from 0.2 throughout the day to like 0.6. But my ph is running like 8.1-8.2 very consistently.

Haven't really seen much difference in the corals so I don't really know if one way is better than the other, just trying to get things dialed in to the point that I don't need to make adjustments or cycle equipment on/off very often to reduce wear on things.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm running both and I've only recently started having issues since I switched to doing kalk at night. Used to run it 24/7 and it was a bit more stable so I may switch back. Using a trident to turn off CO2 as needed so it manages itself well enough, but my alk swing went from 0.2 throughout the day to like 0.6. But my ph is running like 8.1-8.2 very consistently.

Haven't really seen much difference in the corals so I don't really know if one way is better than the other, just trying to get things dialed in to the point that I don't need to make adjustments or cycle equipment on/off very often to reduce wear on things.
Yeah, I kinda reached a point where I think I was doing more harm than good. Just trying to chase pH. My back up system was just a rock. It was just humming along fine this whole time and it just made me realize that simple is always a better alternative

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I kinda reached a point where I think I was doing more harm than good. Just trying to chase pH. My back up system was just a rock. It was just humming along fine this whole time and it just made me realize that simple is always a better alternative
What’s your typical pH swing? I’m in the same boat- running kalk and calcium reactor but not sure if I’m seeing an overall stability benefit.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What’s your typical pH swing? I’m in the same boat- running kalk and calcium reactor but not sure if I’m seeing an overall stability benefit.
this is pretty steady. a couple hot days with the vent on low there, last week, but otherwise 8.2-7.9ish

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 5.39.55 PM.png

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is pretty steady. a couple hot days with the vent on low there, last week, but otherwise 8.2-7.9ish

Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 5.39.55 PM.png
That's right around where mine has been staying now that I've switched to the CARx. Still dosing a little bit of kalk though. Windows have been open lately so that's helping bump it up into the high 8.2-8.3.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back