!!!7000+ POUNDS OF GLASS!! YOU GUYS UP FOR A BUILD OR WHAT??

Discussion in 'Battlecorals' started by Battlecorals, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Battlecorals

Battlecorals Aquaculturist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I sure did. Used an old 20 gallon i had already drilled for the old back up system down there. Honestly the DT has never looked better despite the nitrate nocking on 70!

2. Velcro

Velcro Valuable Member

We wouldn't know, since you still haven't posted a picture

Battlecorals likes this.
  3. Battlecorals

Cool if you have 70-80 psi at least you're fine on pressure. Oddly enough one of the quirks I had with UHE RO unit was that my tap water was a little too high, roughly 80 psi. They test and build all their use units at closer to 40-50 if I recall. This discrepancy has caused an odd "chugging" that happens every once in a while thats super quirky but not a problem as far as production or water quality is concerned

But anyway Not sure if a booster would be as ideal as a good peristaltic for the recirculation but otherwise you have it. Maybe don't tear it completely apart though. Just take the line going into the first DI stage, and run it to the reservoir. If your crafty enough and your reservoir is close you can keep the DI canisters in place on the unit.Just pump from the reservoir to the Canisters and back, if you're following me.

And if your going to pump then to anther "final" reservoir/s, then you will not have the issue I had with the initial water not have been cycled. Everything you pump to your "final" reservoirs will be ultra pure.
    This setup is actually a more "typical" de-gassing type setup when configured that way actually. You can aerate it for hours before you turn on the DI ensuring that co2 will be very minimal, so as long as tds from the membrane is ok your DI will last much longer. That you can count on.

Amoo likes this.
  4. Battlecorals

Awesome man Let me know if there's anything at all I can help with or clarify for you.

5. Amoo

Amoo The Moo Daddy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yeah we're tracking on the same page Adam. I put a booster on my main house line, was planning on using the booster from spectrapure to wire in pulling from the aerated tank, through the DI filters and into the tanks. Not automated btw, I like to run my rodi like you do your water changes.

Also sent you a PM :p

6. Battlecorals

Totally hear you, and a good idea for sure but i just to keep things as simple as possible and that means less pumps and misc apparatus wherever possible. Honestly, just had the thought that all I'd really need to do is push the float down in the sump with my hands for a couple minutes ands let it fill above the float so the tanks dont call for any water in that period. Of course I'd have to do this every day, which would get pretty old, but would effectively solve the problem:)

7. Battlecorals

Right I'm following you completely. Just not sure if a peristaltic would be a better pump for that over the booster, but since you have the booster I'd say you may as well put it to use. If it conks out sometime down the road then pick up a litermeter.

Amoo likes this.
  8. Black Pearl

Black Pearl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

lets see if I have this correct. I have three 55g containers, one up high gravity feeds two below. the two below are connected and I can pump water from one to the other. SO, I can run RO water straight from the membrane to the top tank, air stone and degas there(how long would it take to degas 55 gal?), then with a litermeter, pump it through the DI cartridges to a holding tank that's about it?

9. Amoo

Amoo The Moo Daddy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

LOL Adam's got all this stuff going on and all we're talking about it degassing our RODI :p I love it.

Bronc likes this.
  10. Black Pearl

Black Pearl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

We are just trying to keep the stock we get from him looking like it did when we got it, go to the source. Mr source what other good tips you got?

Amoo likes this.
  11. Battlecorals

I'm there with it though completely. this is actually a pretty crucial component of the entire set up. All the systems even, and has been a monkey on my back for years.

If I can save on di. I will be a really happy guy:)

Oh and I sent you back a pm last night as well

Amoo likes this.
  12. Amoo

I'm there with you Adam, I literally asked in my PM I just sent you about doing the order next week because I literally just ordered brand new filters (again) for my RO/DI and I'm headed out to Tractor Supply in a few to get a plastic tank :p

Also you've got mail!

13. Amoo

Alright Adam I think I've got it. I made a high quality to scale image in fancy editing software to demonstrate:

[​IMG]

Essentially we want high pressure through both the RO Membrane and the DI resin. I'm thinking I can dial in my booster to achieve about 80ish PSI through the RO portion to fill the Degas tank, then use something like a Sicce/Eheim small pump reduced down to 1/4" because we still want high pressure through the DI Resin, then go straight to the tank.

You mentioned your system uses gravity, what kind of pressure are you getting through your DI resin?

Black Pearl likes this.
  14. Fudsey

Fudsey Jack of all trades R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

That is exactly what I meant @Amoo :)

Amoo likes this.
  15. Amoo

Actually I was talking with Nick from BRS about this as I was looking to order parts to set it up and he told me lower pressure and greater contact time through the DI resin can help and linked me a video Randy did in 2014 with basically this same setup except using a peristaltic like Adam mentioned.

16. newbreefer316

newbreefer316 Well-Known Member

Silly question but would this degassing system help much in a basement where the co2 levels are generally higher?

17. Amoo

Use one of the calculators mentioned on the video to see.

18. Test led

Test led Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

So is changing out both sediment filters all three different carbon filters and both di canisters month being overly paranoid about keeping clean water?

Amoo likes this.
  19. Amoo

Man and I thought my well water was bad :p I go 5 micron to 1 Micron to Carbon to RO. 5 Micron once a month, 1 micron and carbon once every 2 months, RO once a yearish and DI like it's toilet paper :( Groundwater pH of 4.7 for the win...not.

20. Test led

Test led Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

I really just change them out because my subdivision is at the "End of the Run" of our city main line. And even though we run a whole house water filter you can still smell the chlorine out of the faucet ocasionally. So I use a 1 micron and .5 micron sediment filter into a 1 micron carbon block into dual .5 micron carbon blocks into dual spectrepure 90 gpd ro membranes then into a silica buster then into a color changing di. I replace my ro membranes once a year.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted