!!!7000+ POUNDS OF GLASS!! YOU GUYS UP FOR A BUILD OR WHAT??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, in a situation where you are one of the world’s finest SPS growers with years of success… how do you decide to make a major change on your system like this? It would seem like risk >> reward. What if your corals don’t like the lower nutrient environment the roller with theoretically provide?

But good luck. Still a super cool project!’
Great question and thanks for the extremely kind words. Truth is I still am very much in a constant state of trying to improve, anywhere that I can.

In this case it was a no brainer and something ive been wanting to address a long Time now, as I have had literally zero means of mechanical filtration on this system since day one, and I’ve got pockets of detritus in places that had reached nearly 3 inches deep.

When I’d fill up a bucket up it was very evident my water could use a polishing, as it had a very obvious brown tint to it. I assume due to the massive amount of suspended detritus in the water.

my corals have actually perked up a bit noticeably the last week.

Last edited:

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question and thanks for the extremely kind words. Truth is I still am very much in a constant state of trying to improve, anywhere that I can.

In this case it was a no brainer and something ive been wanting to address a long Time now, as I have had literally zero means of mechanical filtration on this system since day one, and I’ve got pockets of detritus in places that had reached nearly 3 inches deep.

When I’d fill up a bucket up it was very evident my water could use a polishing, as it had a very obvious brown tint to it. I assume due to the massive amount of suspended detritus in the water.

my corals have actually perked up a bit noticeably the last week.
Makes sense. And I can respect the attitude of keep pushing for perfection or else you will fall into complacency.

By that same thought, any interest in peroxide or ozone? Less maintenance than carbon.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Makes sense. And I can respect the attitude of keep pushing for perfection or else you will fall into complacency.

By that same thought, any interest in peroxide or ozone? Less maintenance than carbon.
I have used ozone many years ago off and on but never committed to it. I don’t really use activated carbon though, but I do keep some around just in case I may need it.
I have been adding a Pinch to my shipping bags recently to help water quality in transit. Not really sure it’s making any difference but testing it out for now. Definitely doesn’t hurt.

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any further updates Adam? Obviously photos would be awesome.
Keep this in mind, Adam... No matter how mundane we love to see any updates, even if it's just "took some quick pictures of the farm last night" or "here are some new frags I cut"

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Keep this in mind, Adam... No matter how mundane we love to see any updates, even if it's just "took some quick pictures of the farm last night" or "here are some new frags I cut"

What do I tell my wife? "The good news is I'm busy. The bad news is...........I'm Busy!"

I totally hear you guys though! I promise. Working on a long-overdue site overhaul, as well as a new venture in refreshingly nonperishable hobby-related cool stuff. Will absolutely get some updates on here asap!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh, you could say I've been cutting a "few" frags alright. Roughly 400 square feet of frags here ready to ship:)

IMG_1100.jpeg

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, you could say I've been cutting a "few" frags alright. Roughly 400 square feet of frags here ready to ship:)

IMG_1100.jpeg
So do you have a system to know what frags are in what spot or do you just know what they are by looking?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So do you have a system to know what frags are in what spot or do you just know what they are by looking?
It's all in my head my good man:). Every single silly name and location deeply planted into my prefrontal cortex.

Believe it or not every row is a totally organized set of frags

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Adam question for you on this frag system build out... (which is sooo inspiring)

If you had it to do over again and cost/weight weren't really a concern, would you stay with the 12" depth or go to 16". With the flow I like to keep and working across that kind of length, I dunno, seems kind hard to manage.

Also, would you ever consider acrylic?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Adam question for you on this frag system build out... (which is sooo inspiring)

If you had it to do over again and cost/weight weren't really a concern, would you stay with the 12" depth or go to 16". With the flow I like to keep and working across that kind of length, I dunno, seems kind hard to manage.

Also, would you ever consider acrylic?
Man, that's a great question. And yeah i would definitely go taller maybe have room to keep some live rock under the racks maybe or more dry space above the water line to contain splash and such. And easier to provide higher flow i think would be a benefit as well. Shallow tanks are tough to create massive amount of flow in. Or at the very least, increase water volume. And in hindsight, I do think id have been smart to go with acrylic or preferably PVC tanks.

The only reason i went with glass was, that's what I had prior, and my stuff was just doing amazing. I didn't want to mess up the formula. My mindset was like, Glass is working for me a so I am going to do glass tanks.

But, Lighter for one, and more forgiving in the event of anything settling or moving at all would have been a good thing I am sure of at this point.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There have really been so many tweaks and changes up here that I completely skipped over reporting unfortunately. But today I decided its was a good day to update!

So, I'm working on this new contraption. Any guesses on what its going to do for me? and no, I'm not fermenting anything.

Still waiting on a few more components to finish it up. I wish I could take credit for coming up with this one but it was all Tonys idea and it makes an otherwise messy and clumsy way of doing something much less, well... messy and clumsy. lol. will post some completed pics as soon as its done.

IMG_3633.jpeg

IMG_3634.jpeg

Back