!!!7000+ POUNDS OF GLASS!! YOU GUYS UP FOR A BUILD OR WHAT??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir And i can feel the concern in your post. Pics of engineered floor and beam coming soon. Building was designed from the ground up to support the weight on the second floor.

I was really hoping you would say that. And in seeing your photographs it does make me feel a little bit better. That said for the amount of weight I would almost expected to be a steel beam instead of the laminated one. Then again at times I am the over do it kind of guy. From the looks of it though if you do have any sort of sag adding a column in the middle of your garage floor to support the laminated beam should significantly increase the load capacity. Just be careful when you open the door on your car not to hit it.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was really hoping you would say that. And in seeing your photographs it does make me feel a little bit better. That said for the amount of weight I would almost expected to be a steel beam instead of the laminated one. Then again at times I am the over do it kind of guy. From the looks of it though if you do have any sort of sag adding a column in the middle of your garage floor to support the laminated beam should significantly increase the load capacity. Just be careful when you open the door on your car not to hit it.

Appreciate the post. Very nice to get some feedback on some of this stuff. I'll be honest, Im more worried about my kids hitting the post when they get old enough to drive, and are horrible new drivers lol. And yeah i definitely hear you on the steel. We just work with wood so much better. Been using lams for ages now. My dad and I set those in less than half a day no problem. We would have struggled to lift a steel one for sure, or needed a crane. We toyed with the idea of leaving the post out and see if it comes down all once a couple tanks get filled, but just went ahead and put it in. no need to experiment on that one lol

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Moving right along.

Here's a few more pics of the framing and such. I know still pretty boring lol. Will be getting into more of the good stuff soon I promise.

IMG_8664_zpspuqhqzvf.jpg

IMG_5687_zpslhsz9jtf.jpg

Glimpse of the beginning of new Shop!

IMG_5660_zpsx8oslz3k.jpg

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!!! Very impressive! Love it! Hoping you'll be giving tours! would love to see it in person!!
Congratulations!

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By post you refer to the center of the garage door opening area? Yea we have that too. I was referring to dead center of the loaded beam. It's sort of a backup if u see any significant flex.

Any plans for solar on it?

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the post. Very nice to get some feedback on some of this stuff. I'll be honest, Im more worried about my kids hitting the post when they get old enough to drive, and are horrible new drivers lol. And yeah i definitely hear you on the steel. We just work with wood so much better. Been using lams for ages now. My dad and I set those in less than half a day no problem. We would have struggled to lift a steel one for sure, or needed a crane. We toyed with the idea of leaving the post out and see if it comes down all once a couple tanks get filled, but just went ahead and put it in. no need to experiment on that one lol
Adam, you're safe. I just read an article that said kids that were born recently will probably never actually drive a car.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much air conditioning and exhaust fans are you going to get?
I know it's different with me being in Alabama, but the space above my garage probably gets 130 degrees in the summer

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a stick guy Adam, but I definitely enjoy reading your articles and appreciate what you do for the reefing community. This is definitely an impressive build. I'll be following this and look forward to your future endeavors here!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
By post you refer to the center of the garage door opening area? Yea we have that too. I was referring to dead center of the loaded beam. It's sort of a backup if u see any significant flex.

Any plans for solar on it?

Yep you are correct. there is a post in the center of the span of the beam. Roughly the middle of the garage with a pier pad underneath it as well. you can see it in the pic with the pea stone before we poured the slab.

I looked very serious into solar before we started. Was really willing to jump in but came to the conclusion that electric here is cheap (probably not the right word lol) enough that I couldn't come close to justifying the initial costs. with as many panels as I could fit on every possible roof, I would have only produced about half of what i needed as well. I couldn't swallow it unfortunately.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those are tripled LVL's? Those should be plenty strong. What is the span between supports?

good question and thanks for asking! the longest span of the beam is about 16 feet in the office room in back at most. I am fully prepared to build a wall under it if necessary, in fact its part of a future plan to close up my office eventually

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
ppfffft... I'm not impressed....

Impressive would have been if you had built the entire building using nothing but Battle Brushes! They are the ultimate tool after all! :p

Oh.. and 97% of imaginary psycobabblists say that posting more pictures is an excellent cure for blanket neglect syndrome! ;)

I will flood this thread with pics before i am done, mark my word!

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I looked very serious into solar before we started. Was really willing to jump in but came to the conclusion that electric here is cheap (probably not the right word lol) enough that I couldn't come close to justifying the initial costs. with as many panels as I could fit on every possible roof, I would have only produced about half of what i needed as well. I couldn't swallow it unfortunately.

And your buddy in ca that was supposed to hook you up with a solar guy totally flaked...ahem....

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And your buddy in ca that was supposed to hook you up with a solar guy totally flaked...ahem....

LOl no worries truly. it was not practical in any way for me unfortunately . I did get a Back up generator though:)

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! Congrats Adam! Can't wait to see this project progress.

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

[/QUOTE]

It looks like you guys average $.10/kWh in WI. That's going to be pretty hard to make solar pencil out unless there are some really good local incentives. Now if you were in CA it would be a no brainer. BTW Loving the build Adam! Whenever I can work up the gall to reinforce my floors and upgrade my tank I will be hitting you up for a frag pack.

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck yeah...more real estate means more corals. Iam sure you got cookies baking all over the place now as winter continues to progress on...can't wait to see the new list of BC!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back