!!!7000+ POUNDS OF GLASS!! YOU GUYS UP FOR A BUILD OR WHAT??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow just 2 months from start and you were able to put all your coral in?
I have a new system i setup and im at about that 2 month mark. What was the indicator you used to fill comfortable adding sps?

I actually had coral in the main the next day lol, But I will confess, I was very spoiled, and pretty naive actually with my ages old live rock in the past. I'd set up a system, and transfer a few pieces and it would be good to go. What I learned this past year lol, what many of you already know, is that when you start a system off with dry rock, it's true what they say, things are pretty rough at the beginning for a while before things really start to settle in and grow again.

In my case, it's been a year now since i started filling the main, and i have finally really just rounded that corner recently. Stuff's looking really good and growing again like crazy, but it was a super slow and rocky (no pun intended) year in for the main. My back up system housed all my old rock and if not for that system id probably have lost lots of stuff this past year.

if you are starting out with dry rocks, best advice is to go slow for sure. Give the system plenty of time to settle in and establish itself.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Heat Recovery Ventilator is what you are looking for! Larger whole home models should do the trick. Pulls in fresh air from the outside, and expels room air to the outside but keeps most of the heat in the room! (Retains roughly %70 of the heat) I have one in my basement and it definitely goes a long way to keeping CO2 in check. Works opposite in the summer if needed.

Don

And by the way, this was the best advice i have gotten in a long time I picked up a big fan tech hrv not long after this mention, and it really is the solution I needed. Blows humid air out, lets in fresh, and is super efficient.

Thanks a lot for this nugget. If i would have know about these before i starts did have incorporated one into the project from the start for sure.

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely echo what Adam said! Dry rock is awesome, but it needs time to mature. When I started my tank completely dry I was having issues and things just generally were not rock solid stable. I attribute that to immaturity of the tank. I added some rock from a well established system and that helped, but even then, it took about 6 months for the system as a whole to settle in. That 6 month mark was about a month ago now and things are taking off and coloring up! I will be making a trip out to Battlecorals this summer for a large order for sure :)

Don

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And by the way, this was the best advice i have gotten in a long time I picked up a big fan tech hrv not long after this mention, and it really is the solution I needed. Blows humid air out, lets in fresh, and is super efficient.

Thanks a lot for this nugget. If i would have know about these before i starts did have incorporated one into the project from the start for sure.

Glad to hear it made a difference! Not many folks have a use for them up here so we don't really hear about them very much, but they work perfectly for us crazy fish tank geeks :D

Don

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

adam, specifically what "big fan tech hrv" unit did you go with?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
adam, specifically what "big fan tech hrv" unit did you go with?

I went with this one, And I may actually add another. I put an inline carbon filter on the output into my room as well to fend off any unwanted out side pollutants, like leaf smoke and whatever else. I re did my top of system as well while I was at it.

IMG_5424.jpg

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fantech...on-Defrost-8-Side-Ports-up-to-5800-6600-Sq-Ft

Last edited:

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use an HRV as well and it makes a huge difference. Keeps my entire aquarium room at normal temp and humidity. It also fixed my PH issues which were due to being over 2000ppm co2! Now it’s 500.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had coral in the main the next day lol, But I will confess, I was very spoiled, and pretty naive actually with my ages old live rock in the past. I'd set up a system, and transfer a few pieces and it would be good to go. What I learned this past year lol, what many of you already know, is that when you start a system off with dry rock, it's true what they say, things are pretty rough at the beginning for a while before things really start to settle in and grow again.

In my case, it's been a year now since i started filling the main, and i have finally really just rounded that corner recently. Stuff's looking really good and growing again like crazy, but it was a super slow and rocky (no pun intended) year in for the main. My back up system housed all my old rock and if not for that system id probably have lost lots of stuff this past year.

if you are starting out with dry rocks, best advice is to go slow for sure. Give the system plenty of time to settle in and establish itself.
Thanks for the feed back

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome that the HRV is working well for you - it's working as designed I'd say!

Do you just use a bundle of carbon on the output from the fresh air? Wondering how you keep the flow up?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Awesome that the HRV is working well for you - it's working as designed I'd say!

Do you just use a bundle of carbon on the output from the fresh air? Wondering how you keep the flow up?

Really good question I did a little digging and found an inline from a company called phresh air. if you look at the pic i posted, you can see a wider part of duct on the line coming toward you. That is the filter.

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really good question I did a little digging and found an inline from a company called phresh air. if you look at the pic i posted, you can see a wider part of duct on the line coming toward you. That is the filter.

So is that your fresh air inlet? I have been looking for a better filter solution for that!

Thanks!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Hey bro more details and maybe a photo of this system?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whoops I should have kept scrolling! :p

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So is that your fresh air inlet? I have been looking for a better filter solution for that!

Thanks!

That is the supply out of the unit to the room. I Tried the filter on the intake side but it got way too cold and perspired like crazy, even wrapped up as best could with insulation. was a no go

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How large is the room?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Whoops I should have kept scrolling! :p

Its oversized for a house ventilator, used that way, but for humidity control, I think I could use a little more actually. 500 cfm woudl; be more ideal.

Its truly the best thing I have come across for humidity control and ventilation. I have also seen a welcome rise in ph. Will see how it really does next winter when its -20 at night, and if i need to run my dehumidifier then i will, but short of a couple extreme months, its a miracle machine.

Back