!!!7000+ POUNDS OF GLASS!! YOU GUYS UP FOR A BUILD OR WHAT??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sitting here researching filters now, and I am yet again struck with how much over lap there is between our hobby and the “grow” industry!

Don

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m sitting here researching filters now, and I am yet again struck with how much over lap there is between our hobby and the “grow” industry!

Don

Ha yep that seems to be the primary purpose for the filter. Me, I just wanted to keep the neighbors moth balls, and smoky fires out of my coral room lol

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this system tapped into your duct work?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is this system tapped into your duct work?

Nope. It's completely on its own, In fact there is no furnace or other ductwork for this room. I have a wall mount AC unit and electric heat, independent from the rest of the house completely. It was pretty simple to install as well.:)

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Battlecorals do you happen to have any pics of the vent cover going to the outside of your building? Are they side vented, 2 8" holes with covers? Thank you!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey @Battlecorals do you happen to have any pics of the vent cover going to the outside of your building? Are they side vented, 2 8" holes with covers? Thank you!

Sure thing I will post them as soon as I get back.

I got an 8” intake and damper for the output from luxury metals. Great place

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Ok, so the back of the addition is not exactly an architectural masterpiece, lol function definitely beat out form back there. But here are the two vents. my ac unit is in the lower left corner as well

Intake on the left and out on the right . Got them from here http://www.luxurymetals.com

IMG_5426.jpg

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so the back of the addition is not exactly an architectural masterpiece, lol function definitely beat out form back there. But here are the two vents. my ac unit is in the lower left corner as well

Intake on the left and out on the right . Got them from here http://www.luxurymetals.com

IMG_5426.jpg

Looks good to me! Those vents don't look so bad. Really appreciate the link to that site as well, hard to find stuff like that anymore not made cheaply.

Mohammad D. ALMUTAIRI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
man I went through this thread from start to end
1st congrats on the great build of your coral farm
2nd wish you the best in your business
3rd man this was so inspirational to the highest ends of inspiration
4th man I would love to have such thing or shop at a place like yours

5th please keep posting photos of this great build, I feel like a kid in Disney world who want just keep playing :p :D

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
man I went through this thread from start to end
1st congrats on the great build of your coral farm
2nd wish you the best in your business
3rd man this was so inspirational to the highest ends of inspiration
4th man I would love to have such thing or shop at a place like yours

5th please keep posting photos of this great build, I feel like a kid in Disney world who want just keep playing :p :D

Hey thanks a ton for the post! I really need to get this thread updated. I've got all sorts of cool stuff to talk about:)

kurtp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah me to I thought the updates died a bit, But it also can be hard to update, live life, and run a business.
This post really struck me, crystallizing what had been floating around in the back of my head as I read through this thread...

The dedication it must take to pull off a project like this is, frankly, unimaginable to me. It definitely has to come at an incredible cost, and I am not talking about what must have been, and continues to be, a huge financial nut. I mean, how often do you think he and his family have been able to load up the camper and head out of town during this enterprise? How many sleepless nights must have been spent agonizing about whether to leave a well-established family business and risk his family's livelihood on this endeavor, or noodling out glitches and problems that must certainly have cropped up during this build? And we all are the beneficiaries of his herculean efforts...access to amazing SPS at ridiculously affordable* cost.

I hope my assumption that Adam's passion for reefing has made this a 'labor of love,' and that he considers all of this as a cool way to spend his time and resources, and not just slogging it out to build a business. I can't recall the quote exactly, but I really hope that "do what you love for a living and you will never have to work a day in your life" epitomizes Adam's huge endeavor.

*And I also appreciate the time he has taken to create and maintain this thread. Now I can just refer all the non-reefers that ask, "You paid WHAT for that little piece of colored rock?" to this thread.

Lonely Derickson camper?
IMG_8610_zpsl4kfbiqw.jpg

'In appreciation' doesn't really cover it,

Kurt

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the topic of water bills and such, the city I live in allows us to have 2 separate water meters. One gets billed water and sewer, the 2nd is strictly just water charges for sprinklers and stuff. If you aren’t dumping the ro/di waste line down the drain and that type of water meter is available, that would save a ton of water bill money. Not sure what your current situation is, just thought id throw that out there in case it was something they allowed.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This post really struck me, crystallizing what had been floating around in the back of my head as I read through this thread...

The dedication it must take to pull off a project like this is, frankly, unimaginable to me. It definitely has to come at an incredible cost, and I am not talking about what must have been, and continues to be, a huge financial nut. I mean, how often do you think he and his family have been able to load up the camper and head out of town during this enterprise? How many sleepless nights must have been spent agonizing about whether to leave a well-established family business and risk his family's livelihood on this endeavor, or noodling out glitches and problems that must certainly have cropped up during this build? And we all are the beneficiaries of his herculean efforts...access to amazing SPS at ridiculously affordable* cost.

I hope my assumption that Adam's passion for reefing has made this a 'labor of love,' and that he considers all of this as a cool way to spend his time and resources, and not just slogging it out to build a business. I can't recall the quote exactly, but I really hope that "do what you love for a living and you will never have to work a day in your life" epitomizes Adam's huge endeavor.

*And I also appreciate the time he has taken to create and maintain this thread. Now I can just refer all the non-reefers that ask, "You paid WHAT for that little piece of colored rock?" to this thread.

Lonely Derickson camper?
IMG_8610_zpsl4kfbiqw.jpg

'In appreciation' doesn't really cover it,

Kurt

I do apprieciate the thought:) believe me it was an insanely busy year.

That is actually my neighbors camper

I pretty much never ever ever leave, ever lol.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow awesome build Adam! This takes me back to when I had North Star Corals in the early 2000's. My setup wasn't nearly this nice (probably closer to your basement system). I reached a crossroads where I was getting too much business from corals sales so I had to make a choice to either go full time with the coral farm or stop selling and keep my career. My wife helped me choose ;) . It's funny because my coral farm was located in Minnesota. I moved from there to Florida, and didn't even set up a tank for several years. You'd think being right near the ocean would make me want a tank even more... it must be something in the air in the Midwest :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back