!!!7000+ POUNDS OF GLASS!! YOU GUYS UP FOR A BUILD OR WHAT??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam,

Do you have any issues with humidity or salt accumulation on equipment in that room?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Adam,

Do you have any issues with humidity or salt accumulation on equipment in that room?

HI there, I hit the humidity issue head-on after the first year and invested in an industrial dehumidifier and installed 2 HRV ventilation units and these have literally solved the issues completely. The warm exhaust air from the dehumidifier even helps to heat the room during the winter nights which is an added bonus.

I made covers for my sump so most of any splash is well contained in there. No real issues with "salt creep" in that corner. I do get a lot of salt deposits on the rims of the tanks but they are easily wiped clean with a wet rag.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... so after going through the entire 32 pages of this thread in the last few days... i must BUMP for more pictures and stories.

We didn’t bump his Fatigue Antidote thread enough.

We do need an update! The glory, the struggles, the changes!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What do you work for a living?? Updates please.

I was in construction, simple building, and home remodeling for over 20 years. Working with my Dad. This addition project was our "swan song" if you will, as I officially retired from construction after this was finished.

Been officially doing BC full time for almost 3 years now, but it was pretty much still full time when I was juggling between the two. those last couple years were absolutely crazy, although I still don't know how i managed to find all that time to do write-ups and fun sales threads and take pics back then lol. Regrettably, the few things that have really been pushed to the backburner to most in the last couple of years.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So any updates? Using that second raceway yet? More pictures?

Oh yeah. And thanks a lot for the bump. All six 4'x11' tanks are full now. One side is dedicated to frags and the other side for mother colonies, under individual lighting.

IMG_0054.jpeg

IMG_0060.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpeg
    IMG_0060.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 185

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah. And thanks a lot for the bump. All six 4'x11' tanks are full now. One side is dedicated to frags and the other side for mother colonies, under individual lighting.

IMG_0054.jpeg

IMG_0060.jpeg
What are the tour hours with freebies at the end? ;Hilarious ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pay to take tour and pick your brain for an hour. Wish I didn’t live so far away from BC headquarters
Honestly, I would be willing to drive from GA to see Adams setup. ;Woot ;Jawdrop :cool: :p

I am a 46 year old man who would GEEK out over it.

happy youtube GIF by Hyper RPG

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So, I built this retro-fit roller filter for my main, using parts and pieces I had lying around. Including an old swabbie head cleaner, a spectra pure float switch, egg crate, an old apex breakout box and some PVC sheet scrap. I had to buy the actual fleece rolls but that's it. Controlled by my apex with a short defer before it kicks on and shuts off.

It just "hangs" off the sump baffle and catches about 90% of the water that goes over. When the water activates the float for a full 30 seconds the roller kicks on and stays on an additional 10 seconds after the float drops. I wasn't able to make it span the full length but overall it is working better than I expected it too lol. There's a considerable amount of suspended detritus in my water column if I'm being polite.

Took some tweaking to get the roll to roll up evenly but it's been up and running a full two weeks now and I'm just about to the end of my first roll.

IMG_0682.jpeg

IMG_0678.jpeg

IMG_0675.jpeg

IMG_0680.jpeg

64495221863__E7D05694-B02D-4EEC-8228-71928371CEDC.jpeg

https://youtu.be/BoXjDL5cTGo

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, in a situation where you are one of the world’s finest SPS growers with years of success… how do you decide to make a major change on your system like this? It would seem like risk >> reward. What if your corals don’t like the lower nutrient environment the roller with theoretically provide?

But good luck. Still a super cool project!’

Back