72"x24"x1/2" starfire glass price?

Shawn85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after finding a junk 180 to replace my chipped panel with I have decided I would like starfire glass for the front panel. What is a good price to pay for that type of glass? I have also decided I wanted to try the euro brace, so do I just add a strip of glass to the top perimeter? No worries it is going in the basement where the floor is just epoxy.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I' not sure in usa but in Canada it's about double the cost as regular glass.

For that size in Canada for regular is about 300$. For strphire is 600$. I' guess in us Its probably in the 400-500$ range.

Reef Monkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add bracing all around the top, all around the top with overlapping corners, all around the bottom, and possibly add a centre brace too (overlapping or not), it mainly depends on glass thickness and water depth. The centre brace is to prevent bowing/breakage, along the top to prevent separation at the seams, and at the bottom for deeper tanks because from what I understand that is where the most pressure is actually at. Overlapping the braces adds additional strength but is ugly if you do not have a canopy or in-wall tank. If you have a more open tank and need a cover over the tank it can be useful to lower the top bracing slightly so that your cover rests inside the tank instead of on top of the tank.

OP
OP
Shawn85

Shawn85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glasscages quote 465 for the new panel and eurobrace. Not bad compared to what the glass shops in michigan want just for plate glass lowest I was qouted for the large panel was 250

72x24x1/2 low iron
2-72x5x1/2
2-7x5x1/2
1-24x1/2

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does glasscages use actual starphire? I know some manufacturers (like deep blue) use optipure or something like that, which isn't as "low iron" as real starfire.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both PPG & AGE have been raising the price of Starphire the last 6 months or so since the fire at one of the PPG facilities happened. In Canada at least, I was told there have been multiple increases totalling above 30% so far this year.

OP
OP
Shawn85

Shawn85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just says low iron, not sure what the difference is

does glasscages use actual starphire? I know some manufacturers (like deep blue) use optipure or something like that, which isn't as "low iron" as real starfire.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back