75 Gallon reef with 20 gallon sump and bioballs

davereef55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know bioballs discussion again.

I bought this 75 gallon all setup MOSTLY this way. already changed overflow and a few other things.
Been running a few months. this was an established tank and I transferred all water and live sand when I got it.

I changed out the fake rock for over 100 pounds of live rock(also from another established tank) and added that in.
had nothing in tank for over month besides live rock and sand.
all levels are very acceptable, PH, nitrates, etc.

I am just thinking the bioballs setup is no longer needed, and the protein skimmer(HOB) is noisy as heck.
trying to do things slowly, and dont want to stress out the tank,(fish in there now)
but thinking to convert DIY sump to more of a divided sump with protein skimmer inside it, no bioballs. but suggestions needed.
Leaving HOB overflow, not going to drill.

Contents:
Live Rock
Live Sand
Cleanup crew
1 powder brown tang
couple soft corals

2 wave maker powerheads
bioball sump setup, gravity fed HOB overflow into top tray(using some Chemi-pure filter socks to flow into), and live sand on bottom with more rock under bioball tray
ATO system
HOB protein skimmer

Pics attached

coral1.jpg coral2.jpg fish.jpg hob overflow.jpg live rock.jpg protein skimmer.jpg sump.jpg wave maker.jpg

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely ditch the bio balls you have plenty of biological filtration with the rock. The skimmer looks like an Aqua C Remora. While they work fairly well yes they are noisy due to the way they produce foam. They’re not actually made anymore.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back