75 Gallon Semi-Aggressive FOWLR Tank, Stocking List

Fish Novice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I am looking to get a 75-gallon semi-aggressive tank, here are my ideas.
  • Flame Angel/Kole Tang (tell me which is better)
  • Snowflake Eel
  • Hawkfish, Longnose or Scarlet
  • Blue-spotted puffer
  • Marine Betta
  • Silver Belly Wrasse (Ill take other suggestions for a wrasse)
I would like any suggestions and critiques.

Thanks, Fish dude

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bettas aren’t all that aggressive but whats funny is if messed with they retaliate, never saw any fish do that before ..
I liked my eel, easy to train
Your gonna want at least one tang

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think there really is a better between the flame and kole, its just what you like, either will work. The flame is a gorgeous fish, and could be your show fish for a 75g. That really is a good looking wrasse, and in a 75g you have numerous choices in the fairy and flasher wrasses, that are quite beautiful.

OP
OP
Fish Novice

Fish Novice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just needed to make sure I was good before I bought the fish. Any fish I should add last? Also, would the blue spot nip my betta's fins?

Last edited:

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a good list, something to keep in mind is that the kole will probably eat more algae than the angel. I recently added one to my 75g with a hair algae and he’s been doing a great job cleaning it up. The puffer nipping the betta is a possibilty, I have a betta with a valentini puffer and he nips occasionally.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just needed to make sure I was good before I bought the fish. Any fish I should add last? Also, would the blue spot nip my betta's fins?

Excellent list, the flame and puffer will likely be your most aggressive and they would be best to go last. I would put the betta in 1st since they can be shy and a challenge to feed at 1st, do some research on this, it's really not a big deal if you are aware of it and plan for it. Make sure the betta is established well before adding the flame or puffer.

OP
OP
Fish Novice

Fish Novice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question, should I get live or dry rock. I overall like the way dry, white rock looks in a predator tank setting, but I know lie rock has benefits. Ill prob have a powerful refugium and sump tho

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont do live rock anymore, back in the day, lfs actually cleaned their live rock, so you didn't get the pests you do today. Aiptasia and bubble algae galore. If it were me, I would either do dry or caribsea liferock if you like the way it looks. Go to Dr Tims website and cycle tank using his method, and you will be cycled in less than 2 weeks. My favorite bacteria additive is biospira.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my rei-magined 90g Venom'd fowlr. I used caribsea liferock from a tank I shut down. It was 3 years used and I bleached it.

20200905_205605.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is "I bleached it" a metaphor? Or did you just take it down?

What you have to realize it that rock is not going to look like it does new when it matures in a tank. That white white rock is going to to turn brown and green or have a greyish tinge to it after a while. I just wanted you to know that that rock was in a mature tank for more than 3 years with algae growth, etc. I shut down that tank and bleached the rock, with bleach to clean any algae and debris. And I started the tank in the pic with that rock about 2 to 3 months ago. It's just an example of what Caribsea Liferock looks like.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question, should I get live or dry rock. I overall like the way dry, white rock looks in a predator tank setting, but I know lie rock has benefits. Ill prob have a powerful refugium and sump tho

I'm not sure if you understand dry rock becomes live rock once the nitrifying bacteria moves in. So all the benefits of live will exist on really any porous surface. That;s why some people will include things like matrix in their sump to add to the surface area available for nitrifying bacteria. By adding bottled bacteria(some work, some don't) you will turn the dry rock into live rock.

OP
OP
Fish Novice

Fish Novice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, I think I understand, ill get some dry rock and make a bunch of caves for the marine betta and eel. Ill add the betta a few weeks before everything else so it can settle by itself. Thanks for the help!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you go to the Dr Tims website. You need bacteria plus an ammonia source to feed the bacteria. Bottled ammonia is much better, cleaner, and faster than feeding the tank with food.

OP
OP
Fish Novice

Fish Novice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
K, I think I have it all under control. Ill go 2 Dr Timms and follow his cycling process.
Thanks, Fish Guy

Back