75 Gallon Stocking (DJ)

DJX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking about stocking my 75 gallon tank properly, and watching as many videos as I can of what people have done and what seems to work for their aquariums. From what I can tell some people do like 5-6 fish (even a Tang Gang), while some load up their tanks with 10-15 smaller fish (Chromis, etc…). So figured I would check with the forums too. My plans are for the tank to be a Reef Tank in the long run, but I’m doing the 4 month cycle currently, so for now it is fish only.

Atm I have:

2 - Clownfish
1 - Bicolor Blenny
1 - Royal Gramma
1 - Purple Firefish
1 - Diamond Goby
2 - Cleaner Shrimp
1 - Pistol

(All pretty small right now, maybe 1.5”- 2” Inches)

I want to add:

1 - Six-Line Wrasse
3 - Resplendent/Bartlett’s Anthias (Feeding isn’t a problem)
1 - Tomini Tang

These would be the last fish I add. I’m trying to keep everything within 3” - 3.5” at max size, other than the Diamond Goby and Tomini Tang. I figured the smaller the Fish, the more I could have. But yeah, thoughts? Could I get away with this stock list?

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I would add the six line after the tomini to reduce agression from it. Having a similar stocking list for my Red Sea e260 with the sump upgrade.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great list! Personally I'd skip the tang though, and add more smaller fish. Look at cardinals, and I'd definitely do a trio of the Bartlett's Anthias. Personally I'd skip the sixline due to aggression, and do a yellow coris, a radiant, or a timor wrasse instead. Better pest control without the aggression.

I tend to stock my tanks very heavily, but I have a lot of experience with doing so, and how to manage nutrients and aggression, and tanks to move fish around if need be.

For example, this is my 75 gallon fish stocklist, in a full mixed reef with SPS, LPS, softies, clams, and anemones:
1 Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto)
2 Banggai Cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni)
4 Red Stoplight Cardinalfish (Fowleria flammea)
2 Clarkii Clownfish (Amphiprion clarkii)
2 Smithi Damselfish (Pomacentrus smithi)
1 Yellow Tailed Damsel (Pomacentrus coelestis)
5 Green Chromis (Chromis viridis)
3 Orange Line Chromis (Acanthochromis polyacanthus)
2 Black Line Fang Blenny (Meiacanthus nigrolineatus)
1 Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica)
1 Yellow Spot Tilefish (Hoplolatilus fourmanoiri)
1 Green Clown Goby (Gobiodon histrio)
2 Aurora Goby (Amblyeleotris aurora)
1 Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus)
3 Red Headed Goby (Elacatinus puncticulatus)
1 Cebu Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus lubbocki)
1 Pintail Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus isosceles)
1 Hooded Flame Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus bathyphilus)
1 Golden Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis)
1 Rosey Scaled Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa)
1 Radiant Wrasse (Halichoeres iridis)
1 Timor Wrasse (Halichoeres timorensis)

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have 38 fish?
Yup. Again, very heavily stocked, but it works in this particular system. Nutrients are under control after a little tweaking (large skimmer, phosguard periodically for the extra phosphate from feeding 4-5x daily, and a refugium we harvest roughly 1/2 lb of Caulerpa from weekly. Plenty of pics in my build thread.

Tank is also supporting a variety of corals, including SPS, LPS, softies, anemones, and even a couple giant clams.

Mesh breeder boxes are holding some livestock temporarily for a different system. 1 has a pair of wyoming white clownfish, the other has 5 rock flower anemones. So technically it has 40 fish in it right now...

received_963270524560092.jpeg

OP
OP
DJX

DJX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 :oops: holy crap lol Thank you for the input. Yeah the Wrasse, Anthias, and Tang are all Semi-Aggressive, so I've chosen to add them last to the tank. I was unsure about what order to do so though, I don't know which of these Fish tend to be more aggressive.

I've been basing a lot of my decisions on the "BRS 5min Saltwater Tank" guides, that's why I have the Tang in there to basically manage Algae. Was debating adding a Yellow Tang as well, but they end up needing a much bigger Tank. My goal is to end up with a tank similar to yours in the long run, yours looks dope :D

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 :oops: holy crap lol Thank you for the input. Yeah the Wrasse, Anthias, and Tang are all Semi-Aggressive, so I've chosen to add them last to the tank. I was unsure about what order to do so though, I don't know which of these Fish tend to be more aggressive.

I've been basing a lot of my decisions on the "BRS 5min Saltwater Tank" guides, that's why I have the Tang in there to basically manage Algae. Was debating adding a Yellow Tang as well, but they end up needing a much bigger Tank. My goal is to end up with a tank similar to yours in the long run, yours looks dope :D
There are better choices for algae that a tang in a 75 gallon. I use ceriths, Fighting conch, astraeas, mexican turbos, ox tongue nerites (awesome algae eaters), blue leg hermits, halloween hermits, scarlet reef hermits, and electric blue hermits. I also love all the hermits and snails scuttling around. They add biodiversity and additional things to catch your eye as you watch your tank. Starry blennies or algae blennies and tuxedo urchins are also pretty good choices, although the urchins like to carry frags.

Honestly you'll be so much happier without a tang in the tank, and the tang will be happier as well.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your list looks just fine, but I agree with the hold off on tang and use other cool critters for algae control. Maybe a 4 or 8line instead of a 6line, but I have never actually had a 6line. Possum type might be good too. Will you add a shrimp goby with the pistol?
Oh, make sure the sandsifter has a mature sand bed. I have never had great luck with those guys.

Currently my 210g is fairly low stocked from a fish point of view. I like it though. I would add more, but it is doing so well, I hate to change anything.
My 6g is overstocked, but does great this way. My 40g has only 3 fish currently and my 20g has 0. It is a frag tank and linked to the 40g.
I usually do have more fish than this. I just have not added any in a long while due to issues 3 years ago and a tank move lost all my fish followed by stupidity.

I love all my current fish and the tank is very active.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back