75 gallon tank with Micromussa,and Acropora

Discussion in 'Reef LED Lights' started by ben310135, Oct 21, 2017.

1. ben310135

ben310135 Active Member

I just purchased the kessil ap700 for my 75 gallon tank and I am wondering what settings are recommended for sps corals with this light.
    Tank Dimensions (in inches) - 48x19x22

Height of fixture from the water - 9 inches

Primary inhabitants (SPS, LPS, SOFTIE, FOWLR, ETC) - SPS

Current lighting setup - kessil ap700

Do you have a controller? (reefkeeper, APEX)Apex

Tags:

2. ReefLEDLights

ReefLEDLights Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I'm a fan of the Sirius XTC and as the manufacturer I could give you recommendations for this Fixture. We ship them down tuned to the equivalent of a 250 watt MH. Its built in controller will allow you to tune it up to a 400 watt MH equivalent.

The Kessil is not a bad LED but not as powerful. I would borrow or rent a PAR meter and adjust it so you have at least 200 PAR on the sand bed. Also ensure that you start at a setting equivalent to your old lights.

unnamed.jpg
    Bill

3. coral-boss

coral-boss Active Member R2R Supporter

kessil recommends 15-18 inch off the water for a 4 foot tank

4. coral-boss

coral-boss Active Member R2R Supporter

[​IMG]

This was the email I got from kessil regarding my 4ft 120 mixed Reef. Hope it helps

5. ReefLEDLights

ReefLEDLights Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Kessil without a doubt is a quality LED Fixture but a quick look at their site lists no measured PAR Readings.

In our opinion, based on over 10 years of practical first hand experience with LEDs the 700 will be good for Softies and fed LPS.

Their recommendation of starting at 50% is spot on as an old T5 you may be replacing can be less than half of its original intensity.

Personally and technically speaking, a 185 watt LED Fixture using the latest drivers, powersupplies and optics would be our minimum recommendation for a tank your size with SPS and Clams on the sand bed.

NEVER JUDGE AN LED FIXTURE BY WATTS!!!

PAR is king when it comes to changing lights...Yes LEDS generally read a tad less than actual but at least you have a baseline for acclimation... Less light for the short term does no harm with proper acclimation. Too much light causes O2 toxicity and bleaching. Acclimate well, lots of opinions here but finish at its max setting and get a base line and finish PAR reading.

Sanjay recommends a minimum of 100 on the sand bed with high light corals closer to the surface... We like high light species like clams and carpet anemones on our sand bed and like at least 200. My personal 550 gal has 236 measured on the sand bed.
    Bill
    570OCT16.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted