75g fowlr/reef

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story, short - got the capability to start a tank, so lets gooo!

Forewarned: this would be my first saltwater tank, so I'm full of questions! I'm still purchasing equipment little by little, and tank probably wont see water for a few months at least! But I'm on my way!

Being my first saltwater, I think I'm just going to try the basics first and then upgrade as I feel ready. I don't want to plan for equipment I'm not ready to use nor can afford at the moment.

Currently, I have a 75g Marineland tank and stand, 40g breeder sump. I don't trust HoB overflows so I will be drilling my tank. I also don't know that i trust myself, but a glass shop said they could do it for cheap so I think I'm gonna have them do it. I have my eyes on an EMS 32" overflow box, so my first question would be, how many returns? I don't want to return over the tank edge, so I'll have to drill some more, but how many? Is 1 return enough? I seen an BRS video that suggested running 2 smaller return pumps rather than just one. Is this the new standard or just personal preference? I do plan on having at least 1 powerhead (either a MP40 or a gyre XF330)

In keeping with my game plan, less is more! So when it comes to the sump, I'm not wanting to go crazy with reactors and dosing pumps and neptune systems. Though they all sound amazing and exciting, I don't want to jump into the deep end just yet! So what can the experts recommend in the sump? For sure a skimmer (more on that later!), but are socks a thing I should seriously consider? I am doing a "custom" sump out of a 40g breeder tank, so I don't want to go crazy with it all, but I also don't want to be in a situation where I'll regret it later.

I seen on EMS website, they had a baffle kit I was thinking of purchasing. Is the whole acrylic/silicone/glass issue a thing I should worry with at this size? I know silicone doesn't bond to acrylic very well, but in a more simple setup, is it a concern I need to worry about?

Along with the socks, would you recommend a newbie to try running a fuge? The baffle kit doesn't come with enough for a fuge, though I'm sure I could figure something out if it is that highly recommended. Or if I am convinced to do my own glass baffles.

I seem to be at a standstill on what to look for in a skimmer. I've seen several build journals and many people have many different tastes. So when I look at skimmers, I'm very much throwing darts at a board blindfolded. Right now, out of pure impulse, I'm stuck between a Nyos Quantum 120 and a Reef Octopus Essence S-130. One seems to be sturdier as far as construction, while the other seems to be more user-friendly, so I don't know.

Lastly, how does pet fur react with finned pets? I do have 3 fur babies and they all like to shed. I'll be doing my best to keep the cats out of the stand/tank, but I'm sure it will be a losing battle eventually. Is cat/dog fur something that will cripple a system or just another ball of gunk in a filter?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but these are my primary ones for now!

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're making good sense... especially when it comes to keeping your first tank simple, without all the bells and whistles. Reef Octopus makes a recirculating skimmer; I would look into that. And I would go with two returns-- I like your idea to let a glass shop do the hole cutting. Some of your other questions I'll let other people tackle. Most of all, have FUN! :D

OP
OP
Jivatma

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're making good sense... especially when it comes to keeping your first tank simple, without all the bells and whistles. Reef Octopus makes a recirculating skimmer; I would look into that. And I would go with two returns-- I like your idea to let a glass shop do the hole cutting. Some of your other questions I'll let other people tackle. Most of all, have FUN! :D

I don't know that i want an external skimmer on top of having a sump. I'm not opposed to the idea, but i want to stay simple.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem; but when you’re ready, know that I never have to touch my recirculating skimmer. Just empty the cup when it’s get filled with green-pea soup; that my fish don’t like. Lol. Same with my Hydor recirculating skimmer; never had to touch it, past break-in. ;)

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled my 75. I have 2 returns, one pump and an Eshoppes overflow box.
Make sure you have 2 drains on your overflow box.
If you put a 40 gallon in your stand does that leave you room to work in it. I used a 20 long.
Reef octopus all the way for me. I have used HOB, small ones and big ones.
I use 2 MP 40s in my 75. One on each end.
5 dogs and 4 cats here right now. I have never had problems with pet hair except on Maxijet pumps where it winds on the shaft and stalls it.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having a skimmer I wouldn’t run without one. As far as pets go, my house is a zoo. I end up with hair in the tank every now and then but isn't a big deal.

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished setting up a 75g with a 40 breeder sump. The sump size is nice, gives you lots of options. My return pump chamber is able to handle about 8g of additional water = no worries when pumps are off. Also left me a nice size fug. You can easily build the stand to hold it and have full access. The only issue I had was where to put ATO reservoir, as I have no room on each side of my tank.

Attachments

• 9F92D83C-3620-4E13-A60A-194A981E3824.jpeg
    9F92D83C-3620-4E13-A60A-194A981E3824.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 28
  • D9EC1E9B-45A8-4A3B-B4BB-35E8424414F9.jpeg
    D9EC1E9B-45A8-4A3B-B4BB-35E8424414F9.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Jivatma

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled my 75. I have 2 returns, one pump and an Eshoppes overflow box.
Make sure you have 2 drains on your overflow box.
If you put a 40 gallon in your stand does that leave you room to work in it. I used a 20 long.
Reef octopus all the way for me. I have used HOB, small ones and big ones.
I use 2 MP 40s in my 75. One on each end.
5 dogs and 4 cats here right now. I have never had problems with pet hair except on Maxijet pumps where it winds on the shaft and stalls it.
What kind of return pump are you using? Do you have any additional powerheads in the DT?

Edit: got quotes wrong! Had to edit replies! Lol

OP
OP
Jivatma

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished setting up a 75g with a 40 breeder sump. The sump size is nice, gives you lots of options. My return pump chamber is able to handle about 8g of additional water = no worries when pumps are off. Also left me a nice size fug. You can easily build the stand to hold it and have full access. The only issue I had was where to put ATO reservoir, as I have no room on each side of my tank.
Would you happen to have a layout/design plan for your sump? How did you build it? I'm looking at a baffle kit from EMS but it doesnt plan for a fuge and with the adjustable baffle, I'd probably have to get with them on a custom order to include a spot for a fuge.

Love the rock work, btw!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Sicce 3.0 but I think I have a Simplicity 1600 now.
I use 2 MP40s for flow
It's a predator tank
IMG_3545-M.jpg

OP
OP
Jivatma

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Sicce 3.0 but I think I have a Simplicity 1600 now.
I use 2 MP40s for flow
It's a predator tank
IMG_3545-M.jpg
Beautiful tank! Love the snowflake and lionfish! I want to try a predator tank, but i think i want a bigger tank for that, so for now I'm sticking with a reef.

Have you had any problems running only one return pump? Any regrets?

OP
OP
Jivatma

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daily bump!

Still looking for opinions on 1 or 2 return pumps. If I go 2, should I plumb each of them to a different return? Assuming I do 2 return lines. Or would it be better to plumb them together? I'm kind of leaning towards two pumps with 2 return lines, and the ReefOctopus Varios-2 pumps

Also a bit confused on how to pick a good skimmer. Not sure if the two listed in OP will do well enough.

Lastly, I've been reading up on fuges. Would it behoove me to try and fit one in my sump? I wouldnt mind trying a Mandarin once tank is matured, but I would need some help laying out my sump and the current baffle kit I'm looking at doesnt have enough baffles for a fuge. Any help here would be wonderful!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back