75G reef Build journey w/ custom sump

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally getting my build started wanted to share what im up to if anyone is interested in something like this
got myself a 75g rimless tank Deep Blue, 48x18x21
lighting is going to be 2x AI prime HD 16s ( down the road ill upgrade to something higher ) love the app features with the primes
Sump is a custom build from plexiglass i made myself replica of the ruby 36 exact measurements roughly
stand i built out of couple 2x4x8s ( ill be adding an LED strip inside for light / look )
ill be adding a chaeto grow light probably a 100w LED puck from amazon nothing crazy
return pump im using jabeo 1050 gph DC controlled pump ( nothing crazy does its job ) last pump lasted me 7 years
wave makers 2 x jabeo sow 5s DC controlled wavemakers ( nothing crazy does its job ) last ones lasted me 5 years with decent cleaning here and there
300w heater in the sump
Reef Octopus skimmer older model i got for dirt cheap
100 lbs of dry rock
100-120 lbs of Pink Fiji sand Fine grade ( wife loves it )

fish stock currently will be yellow tank, blue tang, 2 spawning clawns i might keep in the sump for babies not sure if the flow will give them issues tho?
watchman goby shrimp combo
"thinking" on getting a few schoolers like 4-5
maybe another goby
2 cleaners 2 blood shrimp
maybe a coral banded shrimp heard they can be aggressive to other shrimp and fish i dunno yet
heavy cleaning crew for sure
maybe a starfish
mandarin for sure once my pods build up

tank1.jpg tank2.jpg

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great awesome rock and sand choices. Also good equipment choices. Blue tang will outgrow p fast and then become a menace. Obv you could do the whole grow it out and give it back but imo there's no reason since there's so many similar and AWESOME fish that you can stock

Regardless awesome build and cant wait to see you pack it with coral

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great awesome rock and sand choices. Also good equipment choices. Blue tang will outgrow p fast and then become a menace. Obv you could do the whole grow it out and give it back but imo there's no reason since there's so many similar and AWESOME fish that you can stock

Regardless awesome build and cant wait to see you pack it with coral
thanks bud! yah eventually ill give her away or trade for a younger one i got her as a tiny baby size of a quarter so once she gets big enough somone else will have a great fish. coral stock will be slow things are sky rocketed in prices right now.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks bud! yah eventually ill give her away or trade for a younger one i got her as a tiny baby size of a quarter so once she gets big enough somone else will have a great fish. coral stock will be slow things are sky rocketed in prices right now.
look through r2r live sales. aqua sd and other big names regularly have sales where nice frags are down to 10-25. also a lot of good hobbiest vendors that prob have stuff you're looking for.

any pics of blue tang when it was tiny that sounds adorable

OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look through r2r live sales. aqua sd and other big names regularly have sales where nice frags are down to 10-25. also a lot of good hobbiest vendors that prob have stuff you're looking for.

any pics of blue tang when it was tiny that sounds adorable
both of my tangs as babies they look pretty good sized here but in reality they where like 2 quarters in this picture tiny guys

Attachments

• tangs.jpg
    tangs.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
nightmarepl

nightmarepl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me know about how well the sand stays put under flow. i have not been able to keep mine in place with high flow, so i have medium flow.
had this sand on my last build only thing i really did was move the fans down and pointed them upward
also in one spot i setup a rock wall to bounce it upwards aswell wasnt much of an issue only time i had problems was when the goby and shrimp threw it up

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back