75g stocking amount and order. Advice please!

cybrook1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am starting a 75g mixed reef tank with 29g sump in a few months and am trying to plan my stocking. I have 5 years experience with freshwater and I know you can typically stock those heavier than salt, so I just want to be careful. I am willing to spend what I need to on filtration (already planned for oversize skimmer) to get the fish I want plus a few more. Buy once, cry once they say (and that's the motto I am going with).

Fish I for sure want:
2 of the larger clowns
1 diamond goby
1 green chromis
1 royal gramma
1 tang (tomini or kole, but leaning toward kole)
1 golden dwarf moray eel

I would like to add a few more if possible from the list below:
lawnmower blenny
dispar anthias
wrasse (not sure what kind)
firefish
longnose hawkfish

Clean up Crew:
1 tuxedo urchin
1 emerald crab
2 peppermint shrimp
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
3 nasarius snails
1 fighting conch
3 cerith snail
5 hermits
5 trochus snail

Are there any recommendations on which additional fish I should include? Did I miss something in my research that some of these cannot go together?

Also, what order do I add in? I have heard the least to most aggressive, so the tang and eel will be last. But I am not sure what order to add in the clowns, chromis, gramma, etc.

If anyone would be kind enough to offer advice, it would be much appreciative!

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say your for sure list all sounds doable, though I would do it in a few stages to let the biofilter catch up. While those other fish would work in a 75g (maybe a single anthias, not a school in that size) it would start to get pretty crowded at that point. Unsure about any fish eating issues you may have with the eel or not.

You can do pretty much whatever you want with a CUC, as long as they arent starving because there are too many.

I suggest instead of the 'add a bit of everything' approach that you concentrate on whats most important to you, then branch out from there to what fish work best with that. If the tank is focused on the eel, get that first and then do further research on what other fish on you list work well with an eel in that tank size...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CuC I always order the package for half my tank size from reefcleaners.org, it's diverse and cheap. Get some reef pods with it.

OP
OP
C

cybrook1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say your for sure list all sounds doable, though I would do it in a few stages to let the biofilter catch up. While those other fish would work in a 75g (maybe a single anthias, not a school in that size) it would start to get pretty crowded at that point. Unsure about any fish eating issues you may have with the eel or not.

You can do pretty much whatever you want with a CUC, as long as they arent starving because there are too many.

I suggest instead of the 'add a bit of everything' approach that you concentrate on whats most important to you, then branch out from there to what fish work best with that. If the tank is focused on the eel, get that first and then do further research on what other fish on you list work well with an eel in that tank size...

So, just to make sure I understand you correctly: You are saying I could have all the fish in my "want" and "additional ideas" category and not overload the bioload? I am already planning on going slowly to give the filter time. If I can have everything, I am thinking of doing the chromis, anthias (most people say a single is fine) and firefish first and then figure out the rest from there.

I have researched the eel extensively and all fish should be fine with it. It is going to be added last to give tank time to mature and all fish to grow to a size it cannot eat.

I really want a variety of colors and fish with "jobs".

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your adding them one or two at a time, youll know when you want to stop if you have issues keeping the water clean or with aggression. I would say all of the 'for sure' list, and a few from the 'want' list, but maybe all of them would be pushing it

MPrz59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am starting a 75g mixed reef tank with 29g sump in a few months and am trying to plan my stocking. I have 5 years experience with freshwater and I know you can typically stock those heavier than salt, so I just want to be careful. I am willing to spend what I need to on filtration (already planned for oversize skimmer) to get the fish I want plus a few more. Buy once, cry once they say (and that's the motto I am going with).

Fish I for sure want:
2 of the larger clowns
1 diamond goby
1 green chromis
1 royal gramma
1 tang (tomini or kole, but leaning toward kole)
1 golden dwarf moray eel

I would like to add a few more if possible from the list below:
lawnmower blenny
dispar anthias
wrasse (not sure what kind)
firefish
longnose hawkfish

Clean up Crew:
1 tuxedo urchin
1 emerald crab
2 peppermint shrimp
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
3 nasarius snails
1 fighting conch
3 cerith snail
5 hermits
5 trochus snail

Are there any recommendations on which additional fish I should include? Did I miss something in my research that some of these cannot go together?

Also, what order do I add in? I have heard the least to most aggressive, so the tang and eel will be last. But I am not sure what order to add in the clowns, chromis, gramma, etc.

If anyone would be kind enough to offer advice, it would be much appreciative!
I always go with clowns first but add the tang last if possible so he doesn't get too territorial id also add at least 4 chromis at the same time because they're a schooling fish. Also if you do get a hawk watch out because they can eat shrimp and I've heard mixed things

yababo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to keep an eye out for your clean up crew with the list of fish you are trying to put in. It doesn't necessarily mean it's not doable. I've had alot of these fish and they didn't touch anything besides what I fed them. But I've also had fish that was listed reef safe and they went after my all my expensive shrimps.

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you are Quarantining your fish!!! Don't take a chance with the Chromis they are known for having Uromema and you don't want it trust me I am in the process of Sterilizing my tank and starting over because of it.

OP
OP
C

cybrook1421

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you are Quarantining your fish!!! Don't take a chance with the Chromis they are known for having Uromema and you don't want it trust me I am in the process of Sterilizing my tank and starting over because of it.
Thanks! That is really good to know. I was planning on adding them as one of the first fish and not quarantine them since they would be the first ones in. So, this makes me rethink things. Out of my list, which fish would you add first to the cycled tank?

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Utilitarian Fish​

there's a good place to start BRS has some good articles on it I haven't made my mind up as I will be stocking and 80 gallon when I am ready again I plan on working with one of quarantined suppliers that will also include inverts and I am looking for some clean algae start my refugium over again. I learned my lesson Quarantine everything.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back