76 days fallow 1 of 6 fish show ich symptom after being in DT for 2 weeks.

Saisori

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really dont want to do another 76 days of fallow, are there any treatment that can boost the resistance rate to ich for a single fish?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding them is usually all one needs to do but few seem to actually feed their fish a healthy amount.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is why one fish has it after 76 day fallow period? Did you treat those 6 fish, if so, how? I would think that you missed something along the way there.

OP
OP
Saisori

Saisori

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The question is why one fish has it after 76 day fallow period? Did you treat those 6 fish, if so, how? I would think that you missed something along the way there.
2 1/2 weeks of cupermine with all 6 fish in the same QT.

Edit: Fish, purple tang, powder blue tang, 2 clowns , two blenny.

Only powder is affect currently. +-

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you transfer to another QT at least 10 feet away after the 2 1/2 weeks? If not, you need to do 30 days consecutively AT therapeutic levels for copper to be fully effective. If youre doing water changes in the QT the copper needs to be added before adding the fresh saltwater to the QT.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may need to up my feeding amount..
Feeding to me is a band aid. Yes proper nutrition is very important and can potentially keep your fish managing ich but IMO its easy to take preventative action that can save the lives of the animals we care for.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My QT process has been really simplified from when I first began. I do 15 days at therapeutic levels of CP or copper, transfer to an entirely new QT with all new equipment at least 10ft away, wait another 2-4 weeks then add to the display. I have a small 40 breeder for all new coral, inverts or anything other than fish, wait 78 days then add to the display. It does take a little patience but the payoff is there when I sit down and enjoy my display.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Edit: Fish, purple tang, powder blue tang, 2 clowns , two blenny.

Only powder is affect currently. +-

Powder blue is likely to show symptoms first. They have a very thin slime coat. Keeping an acanthurus tang long term in ich management is likely to not end well.

A couple weeks in copper is not enough time to erradicate ich unless you transferred the fish to a second sterile QT during treatment.

Your DT was clean after 76days, so it's likely there was a viable tomont still releasing free swimmers in your QT post copper. Ich doesn't cycle very quickly.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you have a goby or something very tiny that you forgot you had? I've heard of people finding a fish hiding that had been long forgotten about. That would be the carrier.

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really dont want to do another 76 days of fallow, are there any treatment that can boost the resistance rate to ich for a single fish?

Literally the same thing just happened to me. It's so annotina, but I'm just gonna run fallow again and deal with it. Better than losing $1000 worth of fish

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good move Brandon, this is what the OP should be doing as well.

As for the folks that are transferring to a second QT tank: why?. Would not the fallow tank theoretically be providing the same environment (with respect to Ich) as the 2nd QT?. it is unnecessary, if the correct concentration of copper is maintained. After a week the parasite falls off the fish and move to the substrate, after which they hatch and actively look for their next host. It is specifically during this stage that copper is effective.

I agree something was missed during treatment. Perhaps calcarous substrate or decorations were used, water changes performed without replenishing copper, less than 10ft from display, or insufficient copper level in quarantine.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me, and for me it was a tiny goby I thought had died that was in the sump. I didn’t truly run my tank fallow. Whoops!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back