8 Gallon in Sump Refugium for 40 Gallon Breeder - What to Put In?

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sump I am setting up, it is about 34 gallons. The refugium section is about 8 gallons. I have a 40 Gallon Breeder tank. I am trying to do this without spending a lot of money. I bought the Sump for 50 bucks. What should I put in the refugium? I do not want to spend 300 dollars!!!!

Thanks.
Image 11-19-20 at 9.27 AM.jpg

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a bunch of live rock rubble and chaeto in mine. A cheap powerhead and light to help it grow would be great. There's a huge chance that the chaeto will already be seeded with pods and the like so that would save money. I bought a grow bulb from home depot and put it in a clip on light.
1605802827810.png

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have marine pure block with caulerpa in mine. I prune and feed caulerpa to foxface in DT, if u have Tangs they'll also like eating this.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok a really stupid question. So when I am ready to actually set up my sump. How do I do it? How do I add water? :)
This link has a lot of really good info on preparing and setting up a sump:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sumps-the-rundown.271381/

There's also a lot of good youtube videos on it. I used the article and youtube to figure out how to build mine.

To add water, I use a funnel and 3/4 inch hose. Feel free to hit me up if it seems overly complicated.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked at it. Stil I really am not clear on how to add water? I assume I have to add water as if I were doing a water change into the sump? I searched youtube with no success. Cannot find one how to video about filling up a new sump. :(
Get yourself a kitchen measuring cup or my favorite a large yogurt container. Use this for scooping water from a mixed bucket of water. You will likely need containers like this in your reefing career for dipping corals, mixing up additives, thawing food, etc.

You could also fill water into your display and let it run down the overflow to fill the sump.

Make sure to fill the sump to just cover the return pump. You will have to figure out what level you want your sump to run at with your display tank full as well.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a kitchen measuring cup or my favorite a large yogurt container. Use this for scooping water from a mixed bucket of water. You will likely need containers like this in your reefing career for dipping corals, mixing up additives, thawing food, etc.

You could also fill water into your display and let it run down the overflow to fill the sump.

Make sure to fill the sump to just cover the return pump. You will have to figure out what level you want your sump to run at with your display tank full as well.
so just mix a new batch of water as if I were doing a water change and add to sump. Then turn on pump to see how much it fills?

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked at it. Stil I really am not clear on how to add water? I assume I have to add water as if I were doing a water change into the sump? I searched youtube with no success. Cannot find one how to video about filling up a new sump. :(
Stick a funnel into one end of a hose and place the other end of your hose into the drain chamber. Pour water into the funnel until your return chamber fills to the level you want.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so just mix a new batch of water as if I were doing a water change and add to sump. Then turn on pump to see how much it fills?
Pretty much. Once you turn the pump on, keep adding water to the return chamber until it gets to the level you want. Stop adding water when the level quits going down from the pump and stays steady.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is the layout of my sump. Waiting for my overflow and current usa dc loop pump coming Monday. And yes, I put a small yellow Tang in a 40Gallon. Got that idea from BRS TV. Plan on getting a larger tank in about a year. :).

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question! The baffle in my Skimmer side is 12 inches high. The required dept of skimmer is 9 inches. So I am going to make a stand. But the tank hight is about 15 inches high. That is only a 3 inch difference. The refugium side baffle is 4 1/2 inches from the top. is that ok? Are the Baffles too high?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back