8' or 10' long? 3' or 4' deep?

What size of the aquarium is optimal based on my concerns?

• Total voters

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless cost is the driving force, I would go for the 10' tank. Visually a tank that is bigger front to back isn't nearly as impressive as one that is longer. I get that moving the tank can be a challenge, but you'll have it done in a day, then enjoy the tank for years to come. Get what you really want and figure out the logistics. 3 or 5 years from now, you'll never regret the work you put into your dream tank setup. You will regret compromising on something you didn't really want.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless cost is the driving force, I would go for the 10' tank. Visually a tank that is bigger front to back isn't nearly as impressive as one that is longer. I get that moving the tank can be a challenge, but you'll have it done in a day, then enjoy the tank for years to come. Get what you really want and figure out the logistics. 3 or 5 years from now, you'll never regret the work you put into your dream tank setup. You will regret compromising on something you didn't really want.
Uhhh, except have you seen Steve Weasts tank? I think width from front to back allows you to create the most natural look possible.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your preferred view of your tank? The front or the side? Why?
I prefer all sides. Besides that though, adding more depth from front to back allows more aquascaping options other than just a flat rock wall across the tank. I think it also allows fish to be able to get away from the front viewing panel/ viewers if they so choose leading to more natural behavior.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I get that longer over wider is conventional wisdom, one you've had a tank that is 36" front to back it's really hard to go back. @scchase did a big tank that is 6' front to back and the effect is really nice. When I retire, I am going to build something on the order of 10/12' by 6' by 3' so I can do a reef gorge aquascape.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No where did I say that having more room front to back is a bad thing.
Visually a tank that is bigger front to back isn't nearly as impressive as one that is longer.

My point is that if you're limited in size or dimensions, more room horizontally is visually way better.

If you want to prove me wrong, show me one tank that has an aquascape designed around the deep side view.

PXL_20210301_145725863.jpg

Instead of the long view.

PXL_20210301_145623577.jpg

If I had to choose between 8' 350 gallon tank, or a 10' 350 gallon tank. I'm taking the 10' tank every time.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No where did I say that having more room front to back is a bad thing.

My point is that if you're limited in size or dimensions, more room horizontally is visually way better.

If you want to prove me wrong, show me one tank that has an aquascape designed around the deep side view.

PXL_20210301_145725863.jpg

Instead of the long view.

PXL_20210301_145623577.jpg

If I had to choose between 8' 350 gallon tank, or a 10' 350 gallon tank. I'm taking the 10' tank every time.

You didn’t say it was a bad thing but you said “Visually a tank that is bigger front to back isn't nearly as impressive as one that is longer.” As if this is absolute.

How about this tank?

550A6748-79F3-4A23-A916-66C2995715EA.png

I’m only saying that front to back depth can be just as appealing as length.

Last edited:

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4'x'4' cube, and never attempt to clean the back. I lost all my hard corals in a disaster 2 years ago, but nothing is more impressive to me than huge Acropora coral colonies - and having them lined up in a row like tomato plants doesn't count. I've often wished for a long narrow tank - it is better for fish and tiny corals, but there are trade offs.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4'x'4' cube, and never attempt to clean the back. I lost all my hard corals in a disaster 2 years ago, but nothing is more impressive to me than huge Acropora coral colonies - and having them lined up in a row like tomato plants doesn't count. I've often wished for a long narrow tank - it is better for fish and tiny corals, but there are trade offs.
I would have to agree with the tomato plants analogy. There’s been a shift towards that look in recent years, instead of the feeling of looking into a natural coral reef.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would vote 4' front to back in either length. Having two tanks that were 8' long tanks that were 4' front to back it was always fun to see people watch a fish and say when is it going to reach the back of the tank. Followed by how wide is the tank front to back. When I would say 48" they would say no its not it can't be. Then they walk around the side and go holy crap it is 4'. Then the scale of how big coral colonies are starts to sink in. Another advantage of 4' front to back is that the tank is wide enough to do some effects with lighting to shade the back of the tank so it is not as visible. I am planning to take advantage of that effect for my next display build.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 800, 10 x 4 x 3.

The 10 foot span is amazing. Love it. Looks great.
The 4 foot front to back is also great, I sometimes get to see my fish swim towards me, not just back and forth.
The 3 foot depth makes working on the tank a bit difficult.

Now for the potential issues.

1) A 10 foot span is hard to get good water movement all the way across. I feel that even with 7 monster powerheads, I'm still a little light in the middle area on movement.
2) I only have rear and side access. Scraping the front of the tank is nearly impossible for me.
3) With only rear access, and a 3 ft depth, doing anything on the front bottom of the tank is insanely difficult. I end up having to kind of lay across the tank to reach down there. It's super non-ideal.
4) Magnets and 1" thick acrylic present a very special challenge when it comes to mounting powerheads, or, well, anything. I've had to make custom magnets for all of my powerheads.

All that being said.. I would go with 10x4 again, because the front view is just stunning. In my case, I raised the tank stand up extra high, so that the top is around the 7' mark. That way you are never looking down into the tank, or at the water level. Just standing there in front, you are looking straight into the tank. Downside to that, is that I had to build a walking platform on the back of the tank, so I could get into it, and I keep a step ladder in the tank room.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 800, 10 x 4 x 3.

The 10 foot span is amazing. Love it. Looks great.
The 4 foot front to back is also great, I sometimes get to see my fish swim towards me, not just back and forth.
The 3 foot depth makes working on the tank a bit difficult.

Now for the potential issues.

1) A 10 foot span is hard to get good water movement all the way across. I feel that even with 7 monster powerheads, I'm still a little light in the middle area on movement.
2) I only have rear and side access. Scraping the front of the tank is nearly impossible for me.
3) With only rear access, and a 3 ft depth, doing anything on the front bottom of the tank is insanely difficult. I end up having to kind of lay across the tank to reach down there. It's super non-ideal.
4) Magnets and 1" thick acrylic present a very special challenge when it comes to mounting powerheads, or, well, anything. I've had to make custom magnets for all of my powerheads.

All that being said.. I would go with 10x4 again, because the front view is just stunning. In my case, I raised the tank stand up extra high, so that the top is around the 7' mark. That way you are never looking down into the tank, or at the water level. Just standing there in front, you are looking straight into the tank. Downside to that, is that I had to build a walking platform on the back of the tank, so I could get into it, and I keep a step ladder in the tank room.
What’s your comfort level with laying across the top of your tank?

Mine will be made of acrylic and be on a wood stand. I think if I need to place anything in the middle or do any work in the middle I will have to rest on top of the bracing to get there. Structurally, everything should be ok with holding my weight right?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 28” depth and height and struggle to reach the back of the tank. Going to 36” would be awesome but as said above, you would need to find creative ways to reach that space.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your comfort level with laying across the top of your tank?

Dear god it scares the bejesus out of me every time I do it. I know it's strong enough, and I'm pretty light, but omg is it scary.

I find that I don't worry about it so much if I'm lying my front body on it. What I am utterly terrified of, and will not do (even though I did it once) is actually stand up there. I have a little less fear with my legs dangling off the back and my weight distributed more.

I mean yeah, it should hold me. I'm probably paranoid... but its scary.. not gonna lie. Your whole perspective on "this should work" changes when you have 800 g of water suspended above a floor.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your concern is getting it into the room then build a mock tank in the same dimensions out of wood or pvc and see if you can get it in.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear god it scares the bejesus out of me every time I do it. I know it's strong enough, and I'm pretty light, but omg is it scary.

I find that I don't worry about it so much if I'm lying my front body on it. What I am utterly terrified of, and will not do (even though I did it once) is actually stand up there. I have a little less fear with my legs dangling off the back and my weight distributed more.

I mean yeah, it should hold me. I'm probably paranoid... but its scary.. not gonna lie. Your whole perspective on "this should work" changes when you have 800 g of water suspended above a floor.
Haha yea, I hear ya. It should be able to hold just fine but just the thought of it is a little frightening. Would make one heck of a funny home video though seeing the tank buckle with someone on top of it.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I'll start a build thread! Just want to iron out some rough details first. Great idea on the empty box...those will be some big boxes! Or maybe I'll get some 2x4's and frame it out.
I used 1/2 inch pvc pipe to mock up my tank. It is super light and easy to move around by your self if needed. I actually used it to build my aquascape so I knew exactly how wide and high I could go.

What else is going to be in that room? Is the tank going to be low to the floor for viewing from sitting on a couch or viewed from just standing in front of it? These things could greatly effect what size tank would work best there.

Haha yea, I hear ya. It should be able to hold just fine but just the thought of it is a little frightening. Would make one heck of a funny home video though seeing the tank buckle with someone on top of it.

Assuming the inaccessible side of the tank is against a wall, have you thought about putting a French cleat on the wall and then building a platform you can hang on it when you need to be on top of your tank? Once built (and it is an easy build) it would only take about 5 mins to set up and tear down. You would need some place to store the platform though (maybe on the wall above the tank, using the same French cleat on the edge of the platform?).

r2odie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago I started with a 4’ 90 gallon, upgraded to a 6’ 180, upgraded to a 8’ 240 and currently have a 10’ 400 gallon which is glass, as they all have been. This tank is 120” x 25” x 31”. Love the length. If space would have permitted I would have liked wider. I currently have 6 tangs along with other fish and they continually swim the length of the tank. Love this tank though because its glass and has curved front corners.

Attachments

• C1F8510F-FAB8-4F33-9CF4-1E440A41C4E0.jpeg
    C1F8510F-FAB8-4F33-9CF4-1E440A41C4E0.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 79
  • A26DACC4-7DCC-45B8-8BA7-F1B0C18A14AD.jpeg
    A26DACC4-7DCC-45B8-8BA7-F1B0C18A14AD.jpeg
    142 KB · Views: 76

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fishtanks direct custom tsunami 360 on order 8ftLx3ftWx2ftT. I upgraded it to 3/4 in all sides to reduce bowing. 1/2 in with the bracing will work but you will get front and back bowing with 8-10ft on half inch. Strongly recommend 3/4 for any tank 8 or more ft long not because you need it but because less bow just looks better.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back