80 gallon nano possum wrasse haeven stocking plan

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No need for the "baby" and "juvenile" notations; a tank's stock should be planned based on the adult size of all the fish. The only time it matters if something is a baby at the time of purchase is if there's a worry that it might not get enough food, or might get eaten by something else. We're planning long-term, given that these fish can live, depending on species, anywhere from 5 to 25 years.

You should probably stick with one pistol shrimp, unless you can buy a mated pair. Same goes for each species of cleaner shrimp. Might skip the peppermint shrimp entirely, as they're fairly hit-or-miss in terms of reef safety. If you don't skip it, make sure you get the right species.

As a general rule, it's best to stick to one goby of each type, i.e. one shrimpgoby (or mated pair of shrimpgobies), one clown goby, and so on. It reduces the possibility of territorial fights. Remember that fish will move, so introducing them on opposite ends of the tank won't necessarily do much.

I can't say I'm familiar with pictus blennies; how certain are you that they can be kept in groups? Again for these, they'll grow, no matter how tiny they are on introduction. They're also fairly pricy, from what I remember, due to being somewhat rarely imported.

You might consider not adding the BTAs. They're something of a hazard with perching fish. Not all fish available for our tanks necessarily have experience with anemones in the wild, and there's always the possibility of even a cautious fish getting startled, darting into the anemone, and being stung or outright eaten.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need for the "baby" and "juvenile" notations; a tank's stock should be planned based on the adult size of all the fish. The only time it matters if something is a baby at the time of purchase is if there's a worry that it might not get enough food, or might get eaten by something else. We're planning long-term, given that these fish can live, depending on species, anywhere from 5 to 25 years.

You should probably stick with one pistol shrimp, unless you can buy a mated pair. Same goes for each species of cleaner shrimp. Might skip the peppermint shrimp entirely, as they're fairly hit-or-miss in terms of reef safety. If you don't skip it, make sure you get the right species.

As a general rule, it's best to stick to one goby of each type, i.e. one shrimpgoby (or mated pair of shrimpgobies), one clown goby, and so on. It reduces the possibility of territorial fights. Remember that fish will move, so introducing them on opposite ends of the tank won't necessarily do much.

I can't say I'm familiar with pictus blennies; how certain are you that they can be kept in groups? Again for these, they'll grow, no matter how tiny they are on introduction. They're also fairly pricy, from what I remember, due to being somewhat rarely imported.

You might consider not adding the BTAs. They're something of a hazard with perching fish. Not all fish available for our tanks necessarily have experience with anemones in the wild, and there's always the possibility of even a cautious fish getting startled, darting into the anemone, and being stung or outright eaten.
The reason I state baby or juvenile is because if I set up this tank now, which I am still not sure about, it will only be running for maximum 9 months before I move back to Australia from Indonesia and not everything will get fully grown. Also for aggression reasons.

The whole point behind two pistol shrimp it one for the wheeler’s goby and one for the yasha (It is no longer two because I can’t be certain if they are paired) and they would be introduced on different sides of the tank.

As for the gobies, I am pretty dead set on one white and black clown and one yellow clown because I really love gobies but there aren’t many options for nano reefs.

At the time of posting that last update, I was not aware they probably can’t be kept together or as many as five but with this much live rock and space two should be ok. Prices here are insane, my rule of thumb is fish here are the same as in America if you just take a 0 off the end, pictus blennies are about 4$ USD here.

To be completely honest, I don’t love the BTA’s and I would like to remove them and the clowns anyways, I’ll see if my LFS would like to take them from me.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found a better and bigger tank for cheaper with an in-built sump that in 120x50x60 360 liters 95 gallons. That should mean I can keep a few more fish.

Also I have found somewhere that sells baby pink streaked wrasse! So I’ll be adding three of those to the stocking list.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, I see. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd recommend this, then- moving tanks is a lot of stress on fish, and 9 months isn't very long. If nothing else, it's going to be awhile before that tank is mature enough to keep pod-eaters happy, so you might only end up getting a couple months out of these fish and they might end up getting rehomed quick. It may be better to save yourself and the fish a lot of time and trouble, not to mention saving yourself the cash on equipment and whatnot.

If you do go for it, you should probably avoid two shrimpgobies in the same tank. A tank this size might be fine, but that's a place where you can potentially wind up with conflict. Since, again, they do travel- there's no guarantee that introducing them separately would keep them separately. Except if you put one pair in the refugium, where they can't meet up with the other.

Two clown gobies in this tank are likely fine. They're not super territorial towards conspecifics, IIRC.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a cleaner shrimp with sexy shrimp
And the cleaner ended up harassing the crap out of them.

Pictus may fight. Some of those combtooth’s can get pretty territorial.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a cleaner shrimp with sexy shrimp
And the cleaner ended up harassing the crap out of them.

Pictus may fight. Some of those combtooth’s can get pretty territorial.
My skunk cleaner has been great with my sexies, doesn’t bother them at all and they are doing well too. I might not go for a second if that is a risk.

My lawnmower really didn’t like my pictus but he ended up getting moved to my pico so all was good.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I see. Honestly, I'm not sure I'd recommend this, then- moving tanks is a lot of stress on fish, and 9 months isn't very long. If nothing else, it's going to be awhile before that tank is mature enough to keep pod-eaters happy, so you might only end up getting a couple months out of these fish and they might end up getting rehomed quick. It may be better to save yourself and the fish a lot of time and trouble, not to mention saving yourself the cash on equipment and whatnot.

If you do go for it, you should probably avoid two shrimpgobies in the same tank. A tank this size might be fine, but that's a place where you can potentially wind up with conflict. Since, again, they do travel- there's no guarantee that introducing them separately would keep them separately. Except if you put one pair in the refugium, where they can't meet up with the other.

Two clown gobies in this tank are likely fine. They're not super territorial towards conspecifics, IIRC.
I will be buying this aquarium anyways due to the fact it is 10+x cheaper than anything I can find in Australia that is the same size. I am planning on a nice big refugium packed with tigger pods to help with pod eaters. Otherwise, at the bare minimum I will run the tank with only prepared food eaters.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the other fish in your tank and what do you feed?

If you are referring to my nano, I have:
2x small clownfish
1x small mandarin dragonet
1x small lawnmower blenny

I feed a quarter cube of mysis everyday, a pinch of carnivore pellets and a pinch of herbivore pellets plus nori whenever the clip runs out or the nori falls off. Plus I will soon be feeding BBS.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3x Yellow banded possum wrasse
3x Juvenile pink streak wrasse
1x Yellow stripe clingfish (Arriving soon for my pico/nano depending on size)
1x Blue stripe pipefish (Already in my nano)

1x Baby ocellated dragonet
1x Juvenile mandarin dragonet (Already in my nano)
2x Baby clown fish (Already in my nano) (Potentially being removed from the list)
1x Small yellow candy hogfish
1x Small lawnmower blenny (Already in my nano)
3x Small pictus blenny
1x Yellow clown goby
1x Black clown goby
1x Yasha hase goby
1x Wheeler’s shrimp goby

Inverts:
6x Turbo snails (Already in my nano)
5x Nassarius snails (Already in my nano)
2x Bumble bee shrimp
2x Harlequin shrimp

13x Sexy shrimp (Already in my nano)
1x Small skunk cleaner shrimp (Already in my nano)
2x Candycane pistol shrimp
1x Peppermint shrimp (Already in my nano)
2x Fighting conch
1x Blue tuxedo urchin (Already in my nano)
3x Pom pom crabs (Already in my nano)
2x Small bubble tip anemone (Already in my nano) (Potentially being removed from the list)

Some things I would like to add:
A group of firefish/helfrichi firefish/purple firefish
Carpenter’s fresher wrasse
Yellow coris wrasse or is that too many wrasse?
Small valentini puffer

And any other ideas for small fish in a 95 gallon.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2x Baby clown fish (Already in my nano) (Potentially being removed from the list)
3x Small pictus blenny
1x Yellow clown goby
1x Black clown goby
1x Yasha hase goby
1x Wheeler’s shrimp goby

Inverts:
2x Bumble bee shrimp
2x Harlequin shrimp

2x Fighting conch
2x Small bubble tip anemone (Already in my nano) (Potentially being removed from the list)

Small valentini puffer

@i cant think i feel you would know how many is too many wrasse

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3x Small pictus blenny
1x Yellow clown goby
1x Black clown goby
1x Yasha hase goby
1x Wheeler’s shrimp goby

Inverts:
2x Bumble bee shrimp
2x Harlequin shrimp

2x Fighting conch

Small valentini puffer

I'm thinking 3 red firefish and three purple because I actually cant get helfrichi. How does that shound?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all of these fish going into a 80g or 95g? Are some of them staying in your nano? Just want to make sure I know what your plan is.

One thing that jumps out at me on your list is the yellow candy hogfish... as it matures it will become aggressive towards your possum wrasses, pink streaks, flasher wrasse, firefish, clingfish and pipefish... and it will eat your shrimps.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all of these fish going into a 80g or 95g? Are some of them staying in your nano? Just want to make sure I know what your plan is.

One thing that jumps out at me on your list is the yellow candy hogfish... as it matures it will become aggressive towards your possum wrasses, pink streaks, flasher wrasse, firefish, clingfish and pipefish... and it will eat your shrimps.
Everything labeled as already in my nano will be going into the 95 gallon as I will be breaking down my nano and putting everything in the bigger tank.

Thanks for the info about the yellow candy hogfish, I will 100% be taking that off the list.

What are your opinions on 3 small possum wrasse, 3 small pink streaked wrasse, a carpenters flasher wrasse and a yellow coris wrasse?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back