80 gallon nano possum wrasse haeven stocking plan

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get flashers, get different types.

I think multiple blennies and shrimp gobies could work out unless you get a particularly hellish one. I would probably stick with all small types of blennies though and not put a heavy weight in with a tiny one.

Have you considered getting the types of gobies that tend to work better in groups then others? Like 1 pistol shrimp + gobies that share a burrow?

I believe this photo is from the wild but have seen this happen in home tanks... also sometimes there is a dartfish/ firefish/tilefish that also shares the burrows with them. I would probably do different types like in the photo below.

1678412157572.png

I did keep a pictus with a carribean sailfin blenny in a 5g for a year or so before upgrading and they sat next to each other often without issue. No idea how others mix but it worked fine for these two. I actually thought it wouldn't work..

3DE5C8DB-A22E-46AE-896E-4E09E96A98AD.thumb.jpeg.065733cd5a7ec06436f5131613c71df6.jpeg

For the clowns, I have a pair in my 80g and they are spawning, yes they can be mean but they don't go far from their host, I put their BTA to the far right of my tank.

If something isn't working, just realize you need to catch a tiny fish in a 95g to return it. Some people leave 'nature take it's course' but a 95g isn't nature... they can't leave the tank and go find a new area like in the wild. So it seems a bit cruel to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get flashers, get different types.

I think multiple blennies and shrimp gobies could work out unless you get a particularly hellish one.

Have you considered getting the types that tend to work better then others? Like 1 pistol shrimp + gobies that share a burrow?

I believe this photo is from the wild but have seen this happen in home tanks... also sometimes there is a dartfish that also shares the burrows with them.

1678412157572.png

I did keep a pictus with a carribean sailfin blenny in a 5g for a year or so before upgrading and they sat next to each other often without issue. No idea how others mix but it worked fine for these two.

3DE5C8DB-A22E-46AE-896E-4E09E96A98AD.thumb.jpeg.065733cd5a7ec06436f5131613c71df6.jpeg
Unfortunately I can’t find any flashers other than carpenter’s flasher wrasse here so I think I’ll have to stick with one.

I feel different species of gobies sharing a burrow would be risky but worth the risk. There are lots of shrimp gobies thay I can find here so if you know any in particular that can live together?

I have my current pictus blenny in my 3.8 gallon pico and I love him :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can’t find any flashers other than carpenter’s flasher wrasse here so I think I’ll have to stick with one.

I feel different species of gobies sharing a burrow would be risky but worth the risk. There are lots of shrimp gobies thay I can find here so if you know any in particular that can live together?

I have my current pictus blenny in my 3.8 gallon pico and I love him :)

Things like aurora, yasha, banded or anything similar (flagfin?) would have a better chance but I do remember a yellow watchman living with an aurora, a tilefish, and a fire fish all in the same burrow.

I would probably avoid multiple watchman body styles as they do seem a little more 'grumpy' (yellow, wheelers, Randall's, etc).

I would buy more Pictus if I could but they are an unusual find here and expensive.

Do you have lubbocks there? It is a fairy but they still display and the carpenter is likely to display back.

Honestly even dartfish may cause your carpenter's to show off.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things like aurora, yasha, banded or anything similar (flagfin?) would have a better chance but I do remember a yellow watchman living with an aurora, a tilefish, and a fire fish all in the same burrow.

I would probably avoid multiple watchman body styles as they do seem a little more 'grumpy' (yellow, wheelers, Randall's, etc).
I can get, yellow, diamond and wheeler’s watchman gobies, aurora gobies, orange stripe shrimp goby’s, yasha hase gobies and some more that I don’t remember but that’s pretty much all of them.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get, yellow, diamond and wheeler’s watchman gobies, aurora gobies, orange stripe shrimp goby’s, yasha hase gobies and some more that I don’t remember but that’s pretty much all of them.

yasha and aurora is what I would try from that list

diamonds are not shrimp gobies :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love the wheeler’s but if that isn’t possible I guess I could go for a yasha and an aurora. Are you suggesting this for a two species one shrimp pair?

I forgot about that.

I am more or less saying that those guys have a greater chance of getting along and may even share a burrow as this happens naturally in the wild and sometimes in tanks.

With fish there is no guarentee. Some of my most peaceful fish are my meanest and some of my most aggressive are docile.

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am more or less saying that those guys have a greater chance of getting along and may even share a burrow as this happens naturally in the wild and sometimes in tanks.

With fish there is no guarentee. Some of my most peaceful fish are my meanest and some of my most aggressive are docile.

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky
Alright, thanks for the advice :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this using the search function... shows that two randalls did not get along even with two shrimp (one goby took both shrimps) but post #6 has many fish all in the same burrow. I have seen this happen over the years in tanks. I don't think many often try to create it though.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this using the search function... shows that two randalls did not get along even with two shrimp (one goby took both shrimps) but post #6 has many fish all in the same burrow. I have seen this happen over the years in tanks. I don't think many often try to create it though.

That does make me feel like it could be done but I would still go with two shrimp one for the watchman as I know he won’t want to share and one for anyone else that might like to pair up. I think I’ll add a aurora to the list because they are super cool.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also @i cant think and @SaltyT what do you think about the fairy wrasse selection?
I think the lubbocks is a good choice. The naoko is a 50/50 chance whether it will be a butt head or not towards your flasher. But the other 3 fairy wrasses I wouldn't add with your mix because they get a lot bigger and tend to bully smaller wrasses (and sometimes other small fish).

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the lubbocks is a good choice. The naoko is a 50/50 chance whether it will be a butt head or not towards your flasher. But the other 3 fairy wrasses I wouldn't add with your mix because they get a lot bigger and tend to bully smaller wrasses (and sometimes other small fish).
Lubbock's it is :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would one not be suitable for a lubbock's?
It really depends on the variant you get however both of mine use the whole tank to swim, the Cebu is slightly larger (He must be 3.5 inch) whilst my Indo is only around 3 inches.
Both can be more aggressive than the others.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so, the aquarium I am looking at is 80 gallons with a 16-gallon sump but I am going to ask for it to be largened and with a big middle section after the skimmer and filtration for a refugium. So, the total volume is around 95gallons but if it is possible to, I will ask for the sump to be largened to 25 gallons instead which would be a total volume of around 115gallons. I would love to know an approximate maximum number of fish that could theoretically live in a 95gallon and a 115gallon tank with the knowledge that each fish should be 3-3.5inches or under.

3x Yellow banded possum wrasse
3x Juvenile pink streak wrasse
1x Carpenter’s flasher wrasse
1x Yellow stripe clingfish (Arriving soon for my pico/nano depending on size)
1x Blue stripe pipefish (Already in my nano)
1x Juvenile mandarin dragonet (Already in my nano)
2x Baby clown fish (Already in my nano) (Potentially being removed from the list) (These little clown have actually been really nice and haven’t been mean to anyone even super sensitive small fish so I think they deserve their spot :) )
1x Small yellow candy hogfish
1x Small lawnmower blenny (Already in my nano)
5x Small pictus blenny
1x Yellow clown goby
1x Black clown goby
1x Yasha hase goby
1x Wheeler’s shrimp goby
3x Purple firefish
3x Red firefish

Inverts:
6x Turbo snails (Already in my nano)
5x Nassarius snails (Already in my nano)
10x Sexy shrimp (Already in my nano)
1x Small skunk cleaner shrimp (Already in my nano)
2x Candycane pistol shrimp (One already in my pico but I really like it there and I think I’ll let it stay there)
1x Peppermint shrimp (Already in my nano) (I am pretty sure he isn’t a true peppermint but all my aptasia did mysteriously disappear never to be seen again after he was added :thinking-face: )
2x Fighting conch
1x Blue tuxedo urchin (Already in my nano)
2x Small bubble tip anemone (Already in my nano) (Potentially being removed from the list) (Same as the clowns)

3x Small pink streak wrasse
1x Yellow stripe clingfish (Still no luck so far)
1x Blue stripe pipefish (It will live in my 10 gallon macroalgae tank)
2x Baby clown fish
5x Small pictus blenny
1x Yellow clown goby
1x Green clown goby
1x Yasha hase goby
1x Wheeler’s shrimp goby
3x Purple firefish
3x Red firefish
1x Valentini puffer
1x Longnose hawkfish
1x Pinkbar goby
1x Multicolor Lubbock's fairy wrasse

Inverts:
12x Turbo snails (Already in my nano)
10x Nassarius snails (Already in my nano)

2x Candycane pistol shrimp
1x Lysmata kuekenthali (Already in my nano)
5x Fighting conch
2x Small bubble tip anemone (Already in my nano)

I have removed the shrimp from this list as I would like some fish that see shrimp as a snack like the valentini puffer and longnose hawkfish for example which I think is really cool but wouldn't have worked with shrimp. As always... any other suggestions?

Even if I don't end up with this tank while I am still in Indonesia it can still be something to base the stocking off once I get the tank in Australia as I plan on getting it anyways whether I set it up here or not.

Also the plan is 30kg of live sand and 60kg of live rock? I'm not too sure what the ratios should be.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so, the aquarium I am looking at is 80 gallons with a 16-gallon sump but I am going to ask for it to be largened and with a big middle section after the skimmer and filtration for a refugium. So, the total volume is around 95gallons but if it is possible to, I will ask for the sump to be largened to 25 gallons instead which would be a total volume of around 115gallons. I would love to know an approximate maximum number of fish that could theoretically live in a 95gallon and a 115gallon tank with the knowledge that each fish should be 3-3.5inches or under.

2x Baby clown fish
5x Small pictus blenny
1x Yellow clown goby
1x Green clown goby
1x Yasha hase goby
1x Wheeler’s shrimp goby
3x Purple firefish
3x Red firefish
1x Valentini puffer
1x Longnose hawkfish
1x Pinkbar goby

Inverts:

5x Fighting conch

I have removed the shrimp from this list as I would like some fish that see shrimp as a snack like the valentini puffer and longnose hawkfish for example which I think is really cool but wouldn't have worked with shrimp. As always... any other suggestions?

Even if I don't end up with this tank while I am still in Indonesia it can still be something to base the stocking off once I get the tank in Australia as I plan on getting it anyways whether I set it up here or not.

Also the plan is 30kg of live sand and 60kg of live rock? I'm not too sure what the ratios should be.
Pixy/spotted hawkfish*

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2x Baby clown fish
5x Small pictus blenny
1x Yellow clown goby
1x Green clown goby
1x Yasha hase goby
1x Wheeler’s shrimp goby
3x Purple firefish
3x Red firefish
1x Valentini puffer
1x Longnose hawkfish
1x Pinkbar goby

Inverts:

5x Fighting conch

Really like the stocking. Very cool! My only concern is the hawkfish. I've had both a longnose and a falco. The longnose was perfect but the falco hunted gobies. I think the longnose is likely to be peaceful but be aware. Everything else looks great! (though I'd add more wrasse of course ;) )

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back