OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like the stocking. Very cool! My only concern is the hawkfish. I've had both a longnose and a falco. The longnose was perfect but the falco hunted gobies. I think the longnose is likely to be peaceful but be aware. Everything else looks great! (though I'd add more wrasse of course ;) )
A longnose hogfish definitely works for me and I didn’t know that about falco hawkfish but would a pixy or a spotted hawkfish be the same? The Reef safe label on longnoses is also a big plus but IMO the other hawks look so much cooler, sure the long nose looks cool an unique but the others are more my style, but if there really is that risk of it getting a taste for gobies I don’t want to risk it.

I’m happy to add more wrasse I am just not too knowledgeable about them and I would love some guidance on what could work. There is also a cool yellow fin fairy wrasse that would be nice.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the wrasse out compete the mandarin for pods? I would like to have a scooter and my mandarin. Especially if the sump upgrade isn’t possible and them only have a maybe 4 gallon refugium area but I can be adding pods weekly.

I feel like with the heap of live rock I will have, the pods with be able to keep their levels steady by themselves.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like the stocking. Very cool! My only concern is the hawkfish. I've had both a longnose and a falco. The longnose was perfect but the falco hunted gobies. I think the longnose is likely to be peaceful but be aware. Everything else looks great! (though I'd add more wrasse of course ;) )
There is also this guy for sale but the name is it’s Indonesia name so I’m not too sure
58835A4E-B72D-467C-896F-B1536A26913B.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A longnose hogfish definitely works for me and I didn’t know that about falco hawkfish but would a pixy or a spotted hawkfish be the same? The Reef safe label on longnoses is also a big plus but IMO the other hawks look so much cooler, sure the long nose looks cool an unique but the others are more my style, but if there really is that risk of it getting a taste for gobies I don’t want to risk it.

I’m happy to add more wrasse I am just not too knowledgeable about them and I would love some guidance on what could work. There is also a cool yellow fin fairy wrasse that would be nice.
I’ll start with the Hawks;
Yes a pixy and spotted hawk are likely to be the same risk as a Falco. The long nose is still risky as anything that fits in their mouth is a goner, and if you plan to merge your griessingeri into this tank, he’s going to be a goner. Anything that size will likely become food to a long nose hawk.
The other thing is, I know you like inverts and these guys are likely to go for the shrimp you enjoy.

Yellowfin Fairy Wrasses are a no. They get aggressive and can be just brutal to any other wrasses, more so fairies but also Wetmorella/Pseudocheilinops will be at risk of stressing and too much stress can cause them to die.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll start with the Hawks;
Yes a pixy and spotted hawk are likely to be the same risk as a Falco. The long nose is still risky as anything that fits in their mouth is a goner, and if you plan to merge your griessingeri into this tank, he’s going to be a goner. Anything that size will likely become food to a long nose hawk.
The other thing is, I know you like inverts and these guys are likely to go for the shrimp you enjoy.

Yellowfin Fairy Wrasses are a no. They get aggressive and can be just brutal to any other wrasses, more so fairies but also Wetmorella/Pseudocheilinops will be at risk of stressing and too much stress can cause them to die.
I actually don't have a griessingeri (I wish I did!) but the other gobies planned are a Wheeler's watchman goby, yellow clown goby, green clown goby, three firefish, three purple firefish, yasha hase goby and a pinkbar goby.

You sure do know I love my inverts ;) but I am willing to sacrifice that for the hawkfish because I really really like them and it frees up a lot of room in terms of fish like the yellow candy hogfish, a hawkfish and a small 3cm valentini puffer. The only shrimp I would have added was a skunk cleaner shrimp and that would steal food from coral so I had ruled it out anyays, plus in a tank this big my little inverts like sexy and bumble bee shrimp and pom pom crabs would never be seen again.

Alright, no go with the yellowfin, thanks.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the wrasse out compete the mandarin for pods? I would like to have a scooter and my mandarin. Especially if the sump upgrade isn’t possible and them only have a maybe 4 gallon refugium area but I can be adding pods weekly.

I feel like with the heap of live rock I will have, the pods with be able to keep their levels steady by themselves.
I have 8 wrasse and two mandarins in my 110 and still have a ton of pods. I just add phyto when I don't see pods.
There is also this guy for sale but the name is it’s Indonesia name so I’m not too sure
58835A4E-B72D-467C-896F-B1536A26913B.jpeg
If I cant think doesn't know then I have no chance. Sorry

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a separate Refugium?
I have a massive refugium yes. Its a part of all of my tanks.
I just found the right word for fairy wrasse in Indonesian so here are some other possibilities:

Red head solon fairy wrasse
Naoko fairy wrasse
Ruby red head fairy wrasse
Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura

The first and last will not get along and are probaly too big and mean for your tank. The Naoko on the other hand is my favorite fish I've ever owned and I think i cant think agrees.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a massive refugium yes. Its a part of all of my tanks.

Cirrhilabrus aquamarinus
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura

The first and last will not get along and are probaly too big and mean for your tank. The Naoko on the other hand is my favorite fish I've ever owned and I think i cant think agrees.
I’ll see about setting up a Refugium but with no dedicated sump space as it is too small it will prove difficult and I’ll need to make my own system. What size is your massive refugium? Mine might need to be any current 16 gallon or a 30 gallon aquarium that I’ll buy (They aren’t too expensive and I will be using one as my QT because of how disease infested fish are here)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There not pretty but there each about 35gallons. One is an old aquarium the other is a brute trash can. Cheap but effective.

IMG_6112.jpeg IMG_6113.jpeg

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There not pretty but there each about 35gallons. One is an old aquarium the other is a brute trash can. Cheap but effective.

I am now looking at doing the aquarium custom. 125x55x65 with a 40 gallon refugium are inbuilt to the sump. What would be ideal size for the sump including the are for a refugium?

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Should I go for a 40 gallon refugium as one of the four sump compartments or a separate tank? I feel like a sump compartment would be better. The sump would be 135x45x40cm with the refugium would be 36” x 18” x 16” or 92x46x40cm is this ideal?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I go for a 40 gallon refugium as one of the four sump compartments or a separate tank? I feel like a sump compartment would be better. The sump would be 135x45x40cm with the refugium would be 36” x 18” x 16” or 92x46x40cm is this ideal?
If it is all combined it will be a lot easier to plumb of course. As you can see my sump is my refugium. The bigger the refugium the better IMO but so long as you can fit some sand, rock, and macro-algae it should work great!

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is all combined it will be a lot easier to plumb of course. As you can see my sump is my refugium. The bigger the refugium the better IMO but so long as you can fit some sand, rock, and macro-algae it should work great!
I technically might be able to go bigger what would be the absolute best?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean my tanks are 110 and 125 gallons an having 30-40 gallon refugium for each is awesome. The tank works far better because it has more area for the algae to spread out. I know some people have beautiful display refugiums with cool algaes, fish, and inverts.

One tip is to get a couple porous rocks and transfer them between the refugium and the display every week or so. Gives the pod eating fish a great bonus.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean my tanks are 110 and 125 gallons an having 30-40 gallon refugium for each is awesome. The tank works far better because it has more area for the algae to spread out. I know some people have beautiful display refugiums with cool algaes, fish, and inverts.

One tip is to get a couple porous rocks and transfer them between the refugium and the display every week or so. Gives the pod eating fish a great bonus.
Thats a good idea, I might pop some fish it it but are you saying you have no sump just a refugium? No filter or anything?

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HOB filter on the tank and both have heavy duty skimmers. But thats it.
Ok that makes sense, I feel like if I have a cool display refugium with live rock it wouldn't be important to have bio balls and everything for good bacteria so that would mean the sump could just be 3 compartments, a small one at the front for a filter sock sponge filter and skimmer, a small one at the back for the return pump and the big maybe around 60 gallon refugium.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the plan is 125x55x65 with a 100x55x65 sump meaning a total volume of a whopping 175 gallons (Depending on how much this build will cost!)!!! The display being around 100 gallons and the sump being around 75 gallons I feel like we might need some more fish! Also @i cant think I know you said you wouldn't go any higher that 6-7 pod eaters but with a 50 gallon refugium do you think there is more leniency? Like maybe add a pair of blue stripe pipefish and a dragonface pipefish?

100x55x65 refugium plan:
20 kg live rock
15kg live sand
A bunch of chaeto
Undecided on the light

Refugium stocking:
No idea :)

125x55x65 display tank plan:
40kg live rock
30kg live sand
Luminos LM 6.0 wavemaker pump (6000 LPH)
Bubble magnus skimmer BM curve 7 (900 liter)
Two spectra aquaknight V3 (60 watt full spectrum)s
Atman heater AT-200W
Seachem amonia alert (Just to detect if there is ammonia not how much)
Dr Tim one and only 4 oz

Display stocking:
3x Yellow banded possum wrasse
3x Small pink streak wrasse
1x Carpenter’s flasher wrasse
1x Yellow stripe clingfish (Still no luck so far)
2x Blue stripe pipefish
1x Dragonface pipefish

1x Juvenile mandarin dragonet (Already in my nano)
1 Small lawnmower blenny
2x Baby clown fish
1x Small yellow candy hogfish
1x Small lawnmower blenny (Already in my nano)
5x Small pictus blenny
1x Yellow clown goby
1x Green clown goby
1x Yasha hase goby
1x Wheeler’s shrimp goby
3x Purple firefish
3x Red firefish
1x Valentini puffer
1x Longnose hawkfish
1x Pinkbar goby
1x Multicolor Lubbock's fairy wrasse
1x Yellow watchman goby

I feel like we could add some fish on this list

Inverts:
12x Turbo snails (Already in my nano)
10x Nassarius snails (Already in my nano)
3x Candycane pistol shrimp
1x Lysmata kuekenthali (Already in my nano)
5x Fighting conch
1x Blue tuxedo urchin (Already in my nano)
2x Small bubble tip anemone (Already in my nano)

100x40x40 quarantine tank plan:
20 elbow pipe connectors for fish to hide in
Large HOB filter
Sponge aerator for bacteria
In tank hydrometer
Seachem ammonia alert (Just to detect if there is ammonia not how much)

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back