80 gallon nano possum wrasse haeven stocking plan

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the plan is 125x55x65 with a 100x55x65 sump meaning a total volume of a whopping 175 gallons (Depending on how much this build will cost!)!!! The display being around 100 gallons and the sump being around 75 gallons I feel like we might need some more fish! Also @i cant think I know you said you wouldn't go any higher that 6-7 pod eaters but with a 50 gallon refugium do you think there is more leniency? Like maybe add a pair of blue stripe pipefish and a dragonface pipefish?

100x55x65 refugium plan:
20 kg live rock
15kg live sand
A bunch of chaeto
Undecided on the light

Refugium stocking:
No idea :)

125x55x65 display tank plan:
Luminos LM 6.0 wavemaker pump (6000 LPH)
Bubble magnus skimmer BM curve 7 (900 liter)
Two spectra aquaknight V3 (60 watt full spectrum)s
Atman heater AT-200W
Seachem amonia alert (Just to detect if there is ammonia not how much)

Display stocking:
3x Yellow banded possum wrasse
3x Small pink streak wrasse
1x Carpenter’s flasher wrasse
1x Yellow stripe clingfish (Still no luck so far)
2x Blue stripe pipefish
1x Dragonface pipefish

1x Juvenile mandarin dragonet (Already in my nano)
1 Small lawnmower blenny
2x Baby clown fish
1x Small yellow candy hogfish
1x Small lawnmower blenny (Already in my nano)
5x Small pictus blenny
1x Yellow clown goby
1x Green clown goby
1x Yasha hase goby
1x Wheeler’s shrimp goby
3x Purple firefish
3x Red firefish
1x Valentini puffer
1x Longnose hawkfish
1x Pinkbar goby
1x Multicolor Lubbock's fairy wrasse

I feel like we could add some fish on this list

Inverts:
12x Turbo snails (Already in my nano)
10x Nassarius snails (Already in my nano)
2x Candycane pistol shrimp
1x Lysmata kuekenthali (Already in my nano)
5x Fighting conch
1x Blue tuxedo urchin (Already in my nano)
2x Small bubble tip anemone (Already in my nano)

100x40x40 quarantine tank plan:
20 elbow pipe connectors for fish to hide in
Large HOB filter
Sponge aerator for bacteria
In tank hydrometer
Seachem ammonia alert (Just to detect if there is ammonia not how much)
at 38 fish, I’d honestly say your pushing it for territory. I would also remove the groups of fire fish, they almost never work in groups and you’ll end up with a pair of one species in the long run.
the Wheeler’s goby may become food for the Hawkfish, same for the tasha if you can only get CB specimens. The lawnmower blenny may kill off the 5 picture gobies or Atleast 2-3 of them.
The hogfish will more than likely fight any other Labrid in the tank, including your possum wrasses and pink streaks.
The pink streaks and possums may fight down to it being 2 pairs of each species even with the territory (mine have a lot of territory considering there were only 6 fish total in a 3’x16”x1’ tank yet still whittled it down to 2).

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at 38 fish, I’d honestly say your pushing it for territory. I would also remove the groups of fire fish, they almost never work in groups and you’ll end up with a pair of one species in the long run.
the Wheeler’s goby may become food for the Hawkfish, same for the tasha if you can only get CB specimens. The lawnmower blenny may kill off the 5 picture gobies or Atleast 2-3 of them.
The hogfish will more than likely fight any other Labrid in the tank, including your possum wrasses and pink streaks.
The pink streaks and possums may fight down to it being 2 pairs of each species even with the territory (mine have a lot of territory considering there were only 6 fish total in a 3’x16”x1’ tank yet still whittled it down to 2).
Alright, keep it at 2 firefish.
No CB available here unfortunately due to no demand.
I feel like the lawnmower could be a refugium friend but when he was with my pictus he was territorial but not too aggressive and in a tank this large I think he could be fine. I honestly wasn't loving the yasha (especially due to availability and price) anyways but I thought the wheeler's was pretty cool. Any risk on the clown gobies?
Maybe a hogfish isn't a great idea which is quite the shame but are they any that could or not at all? There are longnose hawkfish marketed at 5cm, maybe if it is small enough that it can't eat and gobies then once it gets bigger it wont want to? Haha I'm not sure that's just pretty disappointing.
I am willing to risk it with the wrasse, I'll let you all know how it goes if I end up with them as this is the idea behind the tank.
This tank is a little bigger than yours at 4.1'x1.8'x2.1' so maybe they might be friends but well see.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, keep it at 2 firefish.
No CB available here unfortunately due to no demand.
I feel like the lawnmower could be a refugium friend but when he was with my pictus he was territorial but not too aggressive and in a tank this large I think he could be fine. I honestly wasn't loving the yasha (especially due to availability and price) anyways but I thought the wheeler's was pretty cool. Any risk on the clown gobies?
Maybe a hogfish isn't a great idea which is quite the shame but are they any that could or not at all? There are longnose hawkfish marketed at 5cm, maybe if it is small enough that it can't eat and gobies then once it gets bigger it wont want to? Haha I'm not sure that's just pretty disappointing.
I am willing to risk it with the wrasse, I'll let you all know how it goes if I end up with them as this is the idea behind the tank.
This tank is a little bigger than yours at 4.1'x1.8'x2.1' so maybe they might be friends but well see.
My tank is around the same size at 4’x2’x2’ - I have 2, my 3’x16”x1’ tank with my big wrasse gang and my 3’x16”x1’ with my small wrasse gang, I have seen a candy hog in a 6’ tank that just refused to have any Labrid tank mates and even tank mates of a similar body shape were rarely allowed.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is around the same size at 4’x2’x2’ - I have 2, my 3’x16”x1’ tank with my big wrasse gang and my 3’x16”x1’ with my small wrasse gang, I have seen a candy hog in a 6’ tank that just refused to have any Labrid tank mates and even tank mates of a similar body shape were rarely allowed.
Hmm that's interesting I can't risk that so he must go! Any ideas for refugium friends? So far we have the lawnmower blenny, I'm thinking just leave the sump open for fish that don't get along?

I think I'll stick with the longnose and transfer the wheeler's watchman to another tank if he gets bullied.

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of these fish susceptible to QT like possum wrasse? I won't be QTing them.
Wrasse and most predatory fish don’t handle copper well. I personally don’t QT wrasse as their mucus coat makes them less susceptible to skin parasites. However prazipro can be a good idea to get rid of gut parasites.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use a freshwater 6000l/h koi pond return pump? Is the l/h of the return pump based on display volume or total volume?
It’s the flow rate. You want about 5-10 times your DT volume so it sounds perfect to me!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of these fish susceptible to QT like possum wrasse? I won't be QTing them.
Most fish are susceptible to QT… I avoid QT in general and well, my main reef has fish that are susceptible to quite a few things yet they thrive :)
Example 1;
My 3 year old Chelmon rostratum, one of the easiest fish I’ve ever kept if I’m honest.
image.jpg

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish are susceptible to QT… I avoid QT in general and well, my main reef has fish that are susceptible to quite a few things yet they thrive :)
Example 1;
My 3 year old Chelmon rostratum, one of the easiest fish I’ve ever kept if I’m honest.
image.jpg
Thanks, and what a beautiful fish! I think I might avoid QT and try to get fish that shops have had a while and are looking healthy from the beginning as I don't want to overly stress out the fish.
It’s the flow rate. You want about 5-10 times your DT volume so it sounds perfect to me!
I read that, and if it is DT then it is over 10x around 13.5x because the DT is around 445 liters and I don't want there to be too much flow in the sump because then the copepods might not have a chance to reproduce before all being sucked up into the DT, is this a legitimate concern or not?
Wrasse and most predatory fish don’t handle copper well. I personally don’t QT wrasse as their mucus coat makes them less susceptible to skin parasites. However prazipro can be a good idea to get rid of gut parasites.
Thanks!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Observational QT isn’t stressful if you make it nice like a display. I did that for 10 years and it kept velvet and brook out of my DT.

I pretty much agree with what has been said about aggression and compatibility issues. Remember if you have chronic stress… this can lead to an outbreak of disease even in resistant fish. Stocking compatible fish and accounting for their often large territories they occupy matters.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the plan is 125x55x65 with a 100x55x65 sump meaning a total volume of a whopping 175 gallons (Depending on how much this build will cost!)!!! The display being around 100 gallons and the sump being around 75 gallons I feel like we might need some more fish! Also @i cant think I know you said you wouldn't go any higher that 6-7 pod eaters but with a 50 gallon refugium do you think there is more leniency? Like maybe add a pair of blue stripe pipefish and a dragonface pipefish?

100x55x65 refugium plan:
20 kg live rock
15kg live sand
A bunch of chaeto
Undecided on the light

Refugium stocking:
No idea :)

125x55x65 display tank plan:
40kg live rock
30kg live sand
Atman heater AT-200W
Dr Tim one and only 4 oz

Display stocking:
2x Blue stripe pipefish
1x Dragonface pipefish

1 Small lawnmower blenny
2x Baby clown fish
1x Small lawnmower blenny (Already in my nano)
5x Small pictus blenny
1x Yellow clown goby
1x Green clown goby
1x Yasha hase goby
1x Wheeler’s shrimp goby
3x Purple firefish
3x Red firefish
1x Valentini puffer
1x Longnose hawkfish
1x Pinkbar goby
1x Yellow watchman goby

I feel like we could add some fish on this list

Inverts:
3x Candycane pistol shrimp
5x Fighting conch

100x40x40 quarantine tank plan:
Large HOB filter
In tank hydrometer
Alright let me update this

100x55x65 refugium plan:
7L of copepods
20 kg live rock
15kg live sand
A bunch of chaeto
Undecided on the light

125x55x65 display tank plan which the person building it said it should be around 330$USD total:
40kg live rock
30kg live sand
Atman heater AT-200W
Dr Tim one and only 4 oz
Roston 105 return pump (3000 l/h)

Display stocking:
2x Blue stripe pipefish
1x Dragonface pipefish
1x Small scooter blenny/ocellated dragonet (Said lawnmower instead of scooter…)
2x Baby clown fish
1x Small lawnmower blenny (Already in my nano) (Maybe sump friend but I want to keep algae for copepods to feed on (Either way going in jail (Hang on QT box) if he messes with the Pictus blennies (If I can catch him)))
7x
Small pictus blenny
1x Yellow clown goby
1x Green clown goby
1x Brown clown goby
1x Yasha hase goby
1x Wheeler’s shrimp goby
3x Purple firefish
2x Red firefish
1x Mini valentini puffer
1x Longnose hawkfish
1x Pinkbar goby
1x Yellow watchman goby

Inverts:
3x Candycane pistol shrimp
5x Fighting conch

60x35x30? I’m not too sure :grinning-face-with-sweat: observational quarantine tank plan:

I will be using my current 16 gallon as an observation QT once the fish currently in there move to the new tank.

Seachem 30gallon filter
In tank hydrometer

Heater (Forgot to add that)
Live rock
Live sand

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump volume doesn’t matter except in terms of filtration. It doesn’t provide any more territory for fish. Just keep that in mind. So including it in the gallons means nothing to me. It can house a bigger skimmer or more pods but does nothing for aggression.

Also rock and sand take away water volume so saying I have X many gallons isn’t an accurate statement and someone with say a tall but short tank ends up with less territory. So it is technically always better to go for more width or length then height in terms of stocking more fish.

It is better just to think of it as I have a 125x55x65 display and whether you will have a dense scape or a minimalistic scape and then plan fish according to that.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump volume doesn’t matter except in terms of filtration. It doesn’t provide any more territory for fish. Just keep that in mind. So including it in the gallons means nothing to me. It can house a bigger skimmer or more pods but does nothing for aggression.

Also rock and sand take away water volume so saying I have X many gallons isn’t an accurate statement and someone with say a tall but short tank ends up with less territory. So it is technically always better to go for more width or length then height in terms of stocking more fish.

It is better just to think of it as I have a 125x55x65 display and whether you will have a dense scape or a minimalistic scape and then plan fish according to that.
Thanks, the reason i include sump volume is for the refugium size to see how many pod eaters I could have and I might make it a display sump and have a few fish down there. It will also help with aggression in the fact that if a dish gets aggressive it will go live in the sump for a bit/permanently depending on the circumstances.

I think the scape will be in between dense and minimalistic because of all the fish that thrive with rock work. I prefer to plan fish then scape so I can see what the ideal scape would be for the fish I like. I also stated how much rock there would be but if I am doing an in between scape I might need some assistance with how many kg of rock I should have.

Do you have any opinions on the stocking list/equipment?

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also state it as total volume because I have read the larger total volume the more fish you can have.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you putting any corals or macro-algae in the display?
Might be FOWLR, might be a reef, I am not certain all I know is I’ll have at least one huge frag of GSP growing :)

I might put in a bit of macro algae like I have my nano tanks but I’m not sure.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be FOWLR, might be a reef, I am not certain all I know is I’ll have at least one huge frag of GSP growing :)

I might put in a bit of macro algae like I have my nano tanks but I’m not sure.
I know quite a few fish on the list live nibbling coral and macroalgae so I’ll test both and see what happens before committing to either.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back