biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so this is an exciting day! I am going to go pick up my new (used) Deep Blue 80 Gallon Rimless reef ready tank. I went to go check out the tank and stand last night and the tank looked practically brand new, the stand looks alright just needs some love (wrapping and some doors). It is coming with the overflow kit and some extra plumbing. He did use unions so it’ll be easy to add my own plumbing from the drain.

I currently have a 40 gallon breeder with just a hang on skimmer and for the last 2 years it has worked well, but it’s time to upgrade.This will be my first tank where I will have a sump and have to hard plumb everything, so I am all ears when it comes to help and suggestions.

As for equipment, I just purchased an Apex and have all my 40 gallon equipment. I was thinking of buying some more rock and to create a new and better aquascape than what’s in my 40, some more sand, new power heads, a return pump, a sump, skimmer, and that’s should be about all I need. I have a media reactor too to hook up.

I have 2 AI primes which I will use on this tank and an extra Tunze ATO along with a finnex heater. I do plan to get an apex dos pump to do auto water changes.

I have created a basic stock and equipment list, but want to kkow what everyone thinks I should do! I was thinking Red Sea gyre pumps or 2 mp10s or 40s, a reef octopus 150 skimmer, a trigger sump (thinking ruby 30-36) and an apex return pump.

I’m super excited and want to take my time with this build.

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
016DCFD8-0EEA-423B-8A7F-DB3CEAE808FD.jpeg

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following... I have this same tank sitting in the basement for future plans. Going to finish getting the Deep Blue 60g cube running before venturing there though. I'm undecided whether I'm going to use the 80g as a frag tank or as a lagoon display.

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome! This will be my MD tank in the basement (man cave) the nice thing about having it in the basement is it’ll be easier to plumb directly to the ato and salt containers in the basement. On top of the sink to drain dirty water for AWC. I’ll have a dedicated control board too on the other side of the adjacent wall it’s going on.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 60g is in my home office:

The man cave downstairs is getting a 180g in wall with a fish room behind it. The 80g I'm either going to put in the fish room as a frag tank or out in the area I'm finishing for another display. Yeah, I've got a bunch of projects going on.

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 60g is in my home office:

The man cave downstairs is getting a 180g in wall with a fish room behind it. The 80g I'm either going to put in the fish room as a frag tank or out in the area I'm finishing for another display. Yeah, I've got a bunch of projects going on.
That’s okay! I have a lot of other projects going on so this is the only fish tank project.

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
So I narrowed down some equipment choices.

Skimmer: Both Reef Octopus's; Classic 150INT 6" or the Classic 150SSS 6" Space Saving Skimmer
Powerheads: IceCaps Gyre 2K with controller x2 or Red Sea Reefwave 25 x2. There would go on both ends of the tank.
Return Pump: Sicce Silent 3.0 pump or a controllable pump: Varios 2 or COR-15
Sump: Undecided, but thinking of a Trigger Ruby 30
Heater: Finnex 150w x 2 (Already Own)
Lights: Ai Prime x2 (Already Own)
ATO: Tunze (Already Own)
Reactor: Single Car Media Reactor from BRS (Already Own)
Controller: Apex (Already Own)
AWC: Apex Dos Pump
Plumbing: Red PVC from BRS

I want to go with a red and white theme for the sump.

The stand I want to fix up and wrap. I also want to put 2 doors on the front.

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I changed some things up from the last list just to save some money on a few items and put it towards other things. Instead of going with the powerheads and return pump I previously mentioned above, I went with a Jebao powerhead and return pump. The powerhead is a CP-100 and the return pump is a DCT-6000. I also went with a Reef Octopus Classic 110 for my skimmer.

image.jpg image.jpg

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started rebuilding the stand tonight! Going to have a swinging control board so I can take the sump out if needed or anything needs to be changed under the stand.

0A02D645-2441-48B6-A87C-5339BB5AF13E.jpeg C127FE0A-29C5-48B6-B434-BDCE9745DA64.jpeg 4B297CFB-6EC0-4157-A253-3B1A81B8D77A.jpeg
Looks awesome dude mine ended up being an 80 gallon I was told 90 but the tag said otherwise. I am waiting on silicon to dry on my drain in the over flow. And have started making some water. I’m thinking with my live sand and the rock I have maybe be up and rolling by Saturday?

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome dude mine ended up being an 80 gallon I was told 90 but the tag said otherwise. I am waiting on silicon to dry on my drain in the over flow. And have started making some water. I’m thinking with my live sand and the rock I have maybe be up and rolling by Saturday?
Ya I started to dry plumb and noticed I needed some more plumbing parts so hopped on BRS and grabbed them along with extra parts to build a manifold too while I’m at it. I’m using red pvc and schedule 80 fittings. I went with red to go with the sapphire sump from trigger.

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to see what kind of rock structure I come up with since it has a corner overflow box.
Same I’m really short on rock. I put about 20lbs in to get bacteria in the tank and have about 20 gallons of water in it but lights haven’t ahowed up and my pumps come in today. Salt Friday so I am filling my 60 gallon ro tank in prep tested my drain today and it leaked ... great lol so I added some silicon and I’ll be re testing tomorrow night

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same I’m really short on rock. I put about 20lbs in to get bacteria in the tank and have about 20 gallons of water in it but lights haven’t ahowed up and my pumps come in today. Salt Friday so I am filling my 60 gallon ro tank in prep tested my drain today and it leaked ... great lol so I added some silicon and I’ll be re testing tomorrow night
Can’t wait to see some pics! Finally posting some pics of my plumbing.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back