Iceman001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya,

I chose MP10s because I felt like the MP40s were serious over kill and I could never find the sweet spot between too much flow and just right. This is just my personal experience, and I attribute some of it to using an L1 as a return which may be some overkill.

For sure, I'd be glad to get a few more pictures. I'll @ you when they're posted. ^_^

What's the thickness of ur glass?

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not much has changed since my last update. Life has got in the way for awhile but I finally have time to focus on taking the aquarium to the next step. Here are some updated photos of the tank and the sump.
1pdH8RO.png

fNSmjw0.png

d_adler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much has changed since my last update. Life has got in the way for awhile but I finally have time to focus on taking the aquarium to the next step. Here are some updated photos of the tank and the sump.
1pdH8RO.png

fNSmjw0.png

This tank is pure inspiration on how I want my db 80 gal build to go. I'm in the process of figuring out how I want to do a electronics cabinet now. Keep the updates coming!

d_adler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update on my coral quarantine. Finally got most of my SPS and LPS back from my friend. Can't complain, he basically double or tripled their size while he was holding them. :p

nG8d3xg.jpg

q7ias8D.jpg

Sorry about the glass being dirty! I don't clean it so the snails actually have something to eat in this tank.

What lights do you have over your coral qt?

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well its getting close to a year and I finally did my first water change today. Was planning on only doing 20 gallons or so but I ended up doing closer to 40. Did a little spring cleaning while I was in the sump and got out all the old buildup from the biopellets, the GFO reactor, etc. My biopellet reactor was getting low so I added more and changed out the filter socks, added new carbon and gfo etc. I think I'm going to continue with the weekly water changes for the rest of the month and see how things look at the start of September.

In other news my protein skimmer was going absolutely crazy a few weeks ago. Almost overnight it went from a very dry dark brown/black skim to overflowing and filling the sump with bubbles. I couldn't find a reason and originally chalked it up to something getting in the tank via the air, or a hand when cleaning or feeding. Today I found a dead and somewhat decayed cockroach floating around. I'm not sure if that was the culprit, but it grossed me out something fierce. I've never seen them in my home but its been storming a lot recently a warm moist dark area like a stand might be the perfect place for them to go.

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Re-did the coral quarantine tank to make it a little more aesthetically pleasing after it had a crash and my wife requested I make it "less ugly". Still a little cloudy from being newly set up but here is an updated photo.

Still have to get a couple frag racks for the glass. Planning to dedicate the tank to a clown pair and a few anemones in the future. We'll see.

Dk5Qcrw.png

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking shallow peninsula reef.

How's your flow? Pushing flow from one end on a peninsula build can be a challenge. I know I've had some problems getting it right. Ended up with a generally circular flow with some random eddies by putting 2x wave pumps on one side, facing slightly different directions, but both basically down the front, and alternating between them every 2 minutes.

I looked at that DBP 80g frag tank, helped a friend set up two of them a while back, but it just wasn't quite what I wanted... ended up spending a bunch of money. Mine is 60x30x16.

Keep with the updates!

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great looking shallow peninsula reef.

How's your flow? Pushing flow from one end on a peninsula build can be a challenge. I know I've had some problems getting it right. Ended up with a generally circular flow with some random eddies by putting 2x wave pumps on one side, facing slightly different directions, but both basically down the front, and alternating between them every 2 minutes.

I looked at that DBP 80g frag tank, helped a friend set up two of them a while back, but it just wasn't quite what I wanted... ended up spending a bunch of money. Mine is 60x30x16.

Keep with the updates!

When I originally was designing the tank I really didn't want anything on the 24" side of the glass because I wanted the tank to be completely unobstructed on all viewable sides. I think if I wanted to go that route I should have committed to a canopy on the tank and then never drilled returns and instead ran the returns over the top of the tank and have them come out on the opposing side facing towards the synergy overflow. Honestly the flow in this tank is kind of ridiculous. It's got a Vectra L1 feeding the return and two MP10s. I think I might actually move one of the MP10s onto the other end of the tank at this point because despite my original intentions, I think I can live with the Vortech and cable running down the trim of the tank and stand. This might make it a little easier to manipulate the flow into a pattern because right now it just looks like turbulence everywhere.

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great! I was up against that same dilemma for sand or BB, I love the look of sand right off the bat, but I also love the look of barebottom with coralline algae and other misc things covering it. I went with a travertine tile bottom, crazy right? I'm glad I spotted this thread, I'll be following along, I'm about 2 months into my cycle so far.Check out my thread, I'd love to hear your input and maybe some tips! Thanks
21c36bb6a3802c7ef46d87f3853861e5.jpg
ecd0e748584744b243645c106364c738.jpg
cd7748770035cdddcc84756667f78f22.jpg
b1238decc17c85adb6bf4aa1642c69de.jpg
80 Gallon Shallow Reef Tank Build

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/80-Gallon-Shallow-Reef-Tank-Build.263659/

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Before my water change the nitrates on the aquarium were ridiculous, at least 160+. After using NoPox everything was fine for the first two days, then the tank got cloudy for a day or so and then it went back to clear. I have 7 liters of Siporax so I have been pouring the NoPox directly into the Siporax box. I can tell that my rocks are clearing up and there is less algae on the glass this week. This aquarium has a lot of competing nutrient exports, i.e. biopellets, siporax, GFO. I've read how the removal of nitrates and phosphates are often linked. I guess I'll retest the water in a week or so and see if any other adjustments are needed. Since the introduction of NoPox the skimmer has been pulling out a lot more gunk. The bubbles seem ridiculously durable in the skimmer right now. The collection cup is always packed dense with the bubbles -- even to the point of the breathing holes on top of the lid having some spill out. Skimmate is still a dark brown/black but its still a little wetter than before.

Planning on building/finishing a floating canopy this weekend. I have the skeleton complete but skinning it isn't as easy as I anticipated due to my concerns on the weight. I need it to ride my light rail, not the corners of the aquarium glass. Hopefully I can post pictures as I do it this weekend.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The collection cup is always packed dense with the bubbles -- even to the point of the breathing holes on top of the lid having some spill out.

I noticed the same thing. I established my bio filter with Red Sea's reef mature kit. Worked great, but yeah, the amount of skimmate, and nastiness coming out the vent holes... I can relate. Add in a smell that you really don't want in your house...

I've stopped nopox at this point. That was always the intent, once I got my 'fuge up and running. Skimmate production, leakage through the vent holes, and odoriferous content has reduced dramatically.

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not much to update right now. I believe my coral quarantine is finally cycled. It's been close to a month. Going to test the water and add a couple feeler frags to it on Monday.

In my main display I've stopped using NoPOX. I have biopellets on the system and using them together was causing issues. I've started using Prodibio's Bioptim and BioDigest to see if they will help with lowering the nitrates in conjunction with my Biopellets. I have also recently purchased and installed Reef Octopuses Neck Cleaner. It's only been on the system for a few days now so the jury is out on how beneficial it is for keeping the skim coming without cleaning the cup every week.

I was planning a small tank upgrade but the strunctal engineer I got info from (for living on third floor) didn't give me the answer I wanted. Mostly because the information he gave seemed well under what I would consider reasonable. Already have the prints and info so I'm going to get a second opinion just to have clarity and more insight into it all.

In the mean time, perhaps it's time to consider moving and planning a larger upgrade all together! Fish would certainly be happy! Some photos taken today of my less shy fish. Enjoy!

fish_01.jpg

fish_02.jpg

fish_03.jpg

fish_04.jpg

fish_05.jpg

fish_06.jpg

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ran the system on generator for a few hours to help with oxygen etc. Included a gif. Sorry for poor quality. Fish are doing well so far.

20170911_181700_1.gif

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Power has been restored for my home as of half an hour ago. Having no corals really made this a lot less stressful because all I was really concerned about was oxygen. My aquarium has two MP10QD's on it as well as two of Ecotech's battery backups. I ran those for the first 24 hours without power and then used a generator to run the tank during the day for the next two days.

I did not run my generator at night because a few of my neighbors have small children and I didn't want to add noise onto what was going to already be miserable nights for the parents. My Vortechs ran off battery during the night and no one seemed stressed other than a few nipped fins due to limited feeding.

Planning to do a water change and clean the glass up right now. Here is a video of the diet being over. :)

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Midas Blenny! He's next on my list, such a cool fish and I'm really a fan of mahi mahi and they kinda resemble a small version of them! Awesome! Glad you made it out alive also! We just got power back today too

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I saw on your thread how Irma treated your corals :eek:;Muted.

I have a chiller and everything... I guess if gasoline was plentiful it could basically be business as usual for the next hurricane.

The generator we used for Charley fired right up after sitting in a garage for 13~ years. That was pretty incredible.

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I saw on your thread how Irma treated your corals :eek:;Muted.

I have a chiller and everything... I guess if gasoline was plentiful it could basically be business as usual for the next hurricane.

The generator we used for Charley fired right up after sitting in a garage for 13~ years. That was pretty incredible.

I probably could've ran my generator the entire time the power was out. But I was planning for the worst so I didn't run it all the time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back