OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Performed a large water change and cleaned up the glass. My fish look great so I can't complain about anything.

Just a couple shout outs for those that helped me that I haven't had time to properly thank recently.

@Humblefish for always giving great advice on quarantine and helping me with my husbandry in general. Pretty much always answering questions and giving great suggestions for improving the chance of survival whenever I run into issues!

@4FordFamily for his great articles both on Tang Aggression and the need for proper quarantine with Acanthurus tangs. Hoping I can keep my Gold Rim happy until I have a chance to upgrade the tank.

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Performed a large water change and cleaned up the glass. My fish look great so I can't complain about anything.

Just a couple shout outs for those that helped me that I haven't had time to properly thank recently.

@Humblefish for always giving great advice on quarantine and helping me with my husbandry in general. Pretty much always answering questions and giving great suggestions for improving the chance of survival whenever I run into issues!

@4FordFamily for his great articles both on Tang Aggression and the need for proper quarantine with Acanthurus tangs. Hoping I can keep my Gold Rim happy until I have a chance to upgrade the tank.

I'm glad everything is working out! You're more than welcome, glad you found it helpful! :)

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging in for 2 reasons. 1 I love shallow reefs, 2 Feeding 6 times a day is awesome. Gotta run to the store though. I'll catch up shortly.

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I've always been a fan of Bubble King. My first serious tank had a Bubble King and I remember all the grief I got from reefing friends when they found out how much they cost. When I planned out this build I was using a Reef Octopus Regal 200 SSS. It was DC, half the price of a Bubble King, and I knew RO was a great company. It did its job, but I never felt like I was amazed by its performance. After using it for close to a year I was planning on buying a new skimmer to be used in an eventual upgrade.

Due to some bad luck for a local reefer, Hurricane Irma decimated his tank. ;(

As he was liquidating his equipment I was able to pick up a Bubble King Double Cone 180. I've had it for almost two weeks and I remember why I fell in love the first time.

The photo below is the result of 48 hours from when I cleaned it Sunday night up until now.

doublecone_180.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any updates on this great build?

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So @Antics... what about that upgrade?
Today is the future!!!

Anthony Cusumano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! Can you give the part number for this tank? I’ve been wanting a deep blue rimless 80 with out corner overflow.

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice tank, I really like how the doors are glass and u can see the equipment.
I like them too, but I've been working on / planning an upgrade for about a year and my wife is pretty adamant about me not doing glass again... but we'll see. :p

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any issues with sand blowing around? I'm planning on upgrading to these exact dimensions with sps, so I'd love to hear how sand has worked out for you.

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have any issues with sand blowing around? I'm planning on upgrading to these exact dimensions with sps, so I'd love to hear how sand has worked out for you.
I have Tropic Eden's reeflakes as substrate which is a rather large grain at 3mm. I get minimal sand movement from my vortechs and that's with them sitting fairly low due to my Shadow overflow. I think if you want to mount your vortechs on the back wall like I did you will need to use a larger grain to prevent sandstorms. If you're planning to mount away from the overflow and higher on the glass it should be fine.

In my upgrade I believe I am going to go down to a mix or meso and miniflakes (2.7 and 2mm grains).

Last edited:

Volcom6981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at doing a 48x24, but mine would be 12 inches high, and I have 2 vortech mp10s laying around, did you feel those did good with your set up?

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking at doing a 48x24, but mine would be 12 inches high, and I have 2 vortech mp10s laying around, did you feel those did good with your set up?
For sure. I run 3 MP10s at 100% without issue. You can always tone it down to 50-60% for a shallower aquarium.

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can we see some updated pictures?
Were any corals added to the tank?
Come on man, you can't be coming in here and pointing out how my reef tank doesn't have any coral... :p

I'll get a few updated pictures today when the lights come on. The aquarium has been running about two years now and I haven't added anything in almost a year. All my fish are doing great but I haven't had any coral in my coral quarantine for at least six months. I didn't have the time or will to really focus on doing that in the past year.

However, with this upgrade my wife has been very adamant that she wants coral and doesn't care about my beautiful fish... so I will be adding some in the future. Because this system has a full quarantine on it I've noticed its more difficult planning and managing the parameters of two tanks when I'm trying to add corals. I remember the fun days of just buying coral at the fish store and dumping them in the tank right away. But I do get pretty depressed when my fish get sick or die so I'm glad those days are behind me (knock on wood). All that being said... I will still be doing a full quarantine on corals, cuc, and shrimp.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on man, you can't be coming in here and pointing out how my reef tank doesn't have any coral... :p

I'll get a few updated pictures today when the lights come on. The aquarium has been running about two years now and I haven't added anything in almost a year. All my fish are doing great but I haven't had any coral in my coral quarantine for at least six months. I didn't have the time or will to really focus on doing that in the past year.

However, with this upgrade my wife has been very adamant that she wants coral and doesn't care about my beautiful fish... so I will be adding some in the future. Because this system has a full quarantine on it I've noticed its more difficult planning and managing the parameters of two tanks when I'm trying to add corals. I remember the fun days of just buying coral at the fish store and dumping them in the tank right away. But I do get pretty depressed when my fish get sick or die so I'm glad those days are behind me (knock on wood). All that being said... I will still be doing a full quarantine on corals, cuc, and shrimp.
The forum is all about little text and lots of pictures.... ;Snaphappy;Snaphappy;Snaphappy;Snaphappy

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back