Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking Great!!
Thanks! :D
I love the look of the stand! The doors are awesome!
I really enjoy the look of the glass doors. I wasn't sure about it at first, but its so nice to just glance at the system and see everything running well etc. It also motivates you to keep it looking clean!
Any new updates I have a similar tank I am setting up 40x24x15 that I was planning on my stand doors also
I looked over your thread about skinning your stand. I did a peninsula so I'm not sure how exactly it will apply to your scenario, but when I decided to use glass doors it basically made it impossible to mount all of my equipment and controls inside the stand. I had to build a standalone equipment stand for everything. Just finished that the other weekend, need to do a write up and work on the pictures so I'll try to post it sometime early this week.

Thanks for the interest!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the semester finally ending I figured I'd have some free time for a couple weeks. Unfortunately work has also picked up so I'm not having all the free time for little projects right now.

Originally when I was designing and building my stand I was going to mount all of my electronics, controllers, etc. inside of the stand. When I decided to go with glass doors this kind of made it impossible for me to consider without it looking very messy and unorganized.

Using the same design, I built a stand alone equipment board that sits next to the aquarium. This ended up working out nicely because I can fit both my auto top off as well as my dosing pump and containers in the shelving. I have to clean up some of my cord spaghetti still due to waiting on a few parts to come in the mail. Once I have everything I ordered it will be nice and clean like I envisioned.

W9jyJjk.jpg

UQLsPlo.jpg

Building this was considerably easier and took a fraction of the time as the stand. I think if we count just cuts and build time it was a little over an hour. Picking up the wood and painting were lengthy in comparison, but the drilling and mounting definitely took up the majority of the time with this. I still need to paint the grommets I ended up getting and this photo doesn't have all of my equipment hooked up and connected but its still a pretty good idea of what the finished product looks like.

yPiurps.jpg

A long Christmas weekend might give me enough time to finish up both the equipment mounting and the reactor changes, so hopefully I can update soon!

Merry Christmas

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the semester finally ending I figured I'd have some free time for a couple weeks. Unfortunately work has also picked up so I'm not having all the free time for little projects right now.

Originally when I was designing and building my stand I was going to mount all of my electronics, controllers, etc. inside of the stand. When I decided to go with glass doors this kind of made it impossible for me to consider without it looking very messy and unorganized.

Using the same design, I built a stand alone equipment board that sits next to the aquarium. This ended up working out nicely because I can fit both my auto top off as well as my dosing pump and containers in the shelving. I have to clean up some of my cord spaghetti still due to waiting on a few parts to come in the mail. Once I have everything I ordered it will be nice and clean like I envisioned.

W9jyJjk.jpg

UQLsPlo.jpg

Building this was considerably easier and took a fraction of the time as the stand. I think if we count just cuts and build time it was a little over an hour. Picking up the wood and painting were lengthy in comparison, but the drilling and mounting definitely took up the majority of the time with this. I still need to paint the grommets I ended up getting and this photo doesn't have all of my equipment hooked up and connected but its still a pretty good idea of what the finished product looks like.

yPiurps.jpg

A long Christmas weekend might give me enough time to finish up both the equipment mounting and the reactor changes, so hopefully I can update soon!

Merry Christmas

That's very nicely done!

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now that I finally have a bit of free time I'll post some photos of the filtration. Overall I'm happy with the equipment choices made and how I went about implementing them in the system. I'm a huge fan of this Reef Octopus Regal 200-SSS. I haven't had time to mess with setting it up to work in conjunction with my Apex, but I really enjoy the features and how quiet the skimmer is. I was really thinking about buying another Bubble King or potentially a Vertex but I'm glad that I tried out Reef Octopus for this build.

I'm also very happy with Reef Octopus' bio pellet reactor. I enjoy how it is designed and I think it functions great in comparison to some simplified models like the ones I've used in the past such as the BRS bio pellet reactor. The Vectra L1 is still going great without giving me any issues and I'm glad I went with an L1 for my manifold instead of an M1. I've been having some trouble with my quarantine systems so I haven't been able to add any fish in a few months, but I've been bugging @Humblefish pretty regularly so at least I feel like there is some light ahead.

Can't really say much about my Gen 4 XR-15's yet. I really love the I achieved with my light mounting system, but until I add some corals next month I'm not going to have a strong opinion on how well they will perform with my SPS only goals.

AfJSVDV.jpg

xKuuRgj.jpg

feZrESJ.jpg

q3Vp0O3.jpg

W5a4tSG.jpg

I'm currently using two of BRS' deluxe media reactors for my carbon/gfo/zeo. I'm going to continue to use Aquaforest's system which I had success with in my last aquarium. Originally I had the two BRS reactors plumbed in front of the Reef Octopus bio pellet reactor. I thought the Mur-Lok looked really unsightly and I was never happy with how it was impossible for me to be very exact with my reactor placement inside the sump. I also wanted to toy with using Siporax passively in that chamber so I decided I needed to hard plumb the reactors within the stand. I am very happy with how I mounted them and plumbed from the manifold, but I'm not sold on the returns from the reactors yet. The red PVC drains are not glued and I am still thinking about other options for the output to return too. I might drop them back off near the skimmer. Here are a few photos that show the current set up of the reactors. I might run Siporax in one of them depending on how they work in the passive flow in my sump.

ZiMa5A9.jpg

Finally I have an updated photo of the build so far. I'm planning on re-adding my coral in the next couple of weeks. This is probably the longest I've ever gone with setting up and cycling a tank as far as adding corals. Everything has also been quarantined and will continue to be going forward. Hopefully it will pay off and not end up being an annoying waste of time. Planning to add a new fish after New Years if it makes it through the remaining tank transfers and observation period.

Merry Christmas!

Xbl7ZYR.jpg

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful setup
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the feedback. Forums and feedback on them are one of my favorite parts of the hobby!
Beautiful and functional. Amazing build.
Thanks! I've done so many "in my next tank..." builds and I really wanted this one to feel like a well thought out and planned build... even if that hasn't really been the case to date!

Looking forward to continue making changes in order to fine tune and maximize performance.

Ezeke1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a great looking setup and it's well thought out. I think your stand is superb you should give yourself more credit for the craftsmanship :). I was looking at the same tank as a frag system so now I have a good reason to go with this tank.

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have a great looking setup and it's well thought out. I think your stand is superb you should give yourself more credit for the craftsmanship :). I was looking at the same tank as a frag system so now I have a good reason to go with this tank.
Thanks! I really appreciate the kind words. :)

Are you thinking about the reef ready or the basic version like I got? I really love the Synergy Reef overflow. I'd definitely recommend that route if you want the peninsula look!

Wayner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impressive! Following
Thanks! I really appreciate the kind words. :)

Are you thinking about the reef ready or the basic version like I got? I really love the Synergy Reef overflow. I'd definitely recommend that route if you want the peninsula look!

W9jyJjk.jpg

UQLsPlo.jpg

yPiurps.jpg

Merry Christmas

OP
OP
Antics

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Impressive! Following
Awesome! Hopefully it won't be a let down. ;)
WOW. love that setup! Will you do fish only?
I'm planning on a reef for sure, the idea right now is SPS only but I really love Acans so I might sneak some of them in!
Merry Christmas

Would you be able to post the dimensions of your electronics unit - I really like it

Thank You
My electronics unit is 40" tall (same as my stand) 43" long (no real reason, just to fit the wall) and 10.5" wide (so I could still open the door on the stand). I'm not 100% done with it because I still plan to put another piece of wood on the back to hide any/all remaining cord spaghetti but I've very happy with it so far. :D

Outstanding build! Your attention to detail is amazing. Can't wait to see it full of SPS? What fish are you thinking?
Honestly I'm absolutely terrible about realistic fish choices. I don't want to get myself in trouble with the community just yet but I will say that I absolutely love Anthias and really hope to be successful with a decent sized harem. :p

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back