Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my stand was custom, so the dims didn't really match up for what I was wanting, plus, Rob at AcryBox is an outstanding builder, and I knew I could trust him to nail exactly what I wanted, he did [emoji6]
So im in the process of choosing parts right now. How did this compare price wise to a comparable "store bought" sump?

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im in the process of choosing parts right now. How did this compare price wise to a comparable "store bought" sump?

My hand is on the Sump for size reference. It's a huge Sump. It's like 3 ft by 16" by 18".
0e06731251ca3493722ab501b4ffa310.jpg

It was about $150.00 less than the Sump I was looking at. You could always visit his FB page or give him a call. Let me know if I can help you in any way. I love talking and taking pics of my Sump! It was the centerpiece that I themed my build around.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! 80 shallow myself as well. Same skimmer (love that thing) gets straight to work and very quiet! Got me rethinking my sump. That one you have is beautiful! Also, what's the straw on the top of the overflow standpipe? I have the port for air, didn't know if there was an advantage to the straw though.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! 80 shallow myself as well. Same skimmer (love that thing) gets straight to work and very quiet! Got me rethinking my sump. That one you have is beautiful! Also, what's the straw on the top of the overflow standpipe? I have the port for air, didn't know if there was an advantage to the straw though.

caa62bb9591191c02741665faf31499c.jpg
1d4200b5a1405d9a8000a6da37716877.jpg

Well, I drilled a bigger hole to let more air in bc my return pump is so strong that on its lowest setting the overflow wasn't keeping up and giving me the flushing effect, after I did that, I was getting a whistle out of the hole, I put the straw in the hole and the whistle went away lol. So I'm not real sure of the science behind it, but it worked. I also raised my standpipe as show in the picture so I have a very small waterfall from the overflow. I have almost no noise out of that tank. My nano is actually louder. I know it's dangerous, especially since I don't have an emergency drain. However, my wife was upset about how loud the tank was so I had to do something.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, if it works, it works! I prefer the crazy straws myself. Lol. I like the taller standpipe idea as mine is a little loud at times. Especially when the gyre is pushing at 60% from the other end. For the first day or so, I was a nervous wreck when I would hear the changes in the overflow from my tanks flow.
Haha, we do bump into the same threads a lot. seperated siblings maybe? Ha. John here. Here's a shot of my tank and home built stand. (White lights under, yellow filter for the blue in photo)
Who built that sump? I'd like to bring the water level up a bit, but mine can't handle any more backflow than it does now with the smaller sump.
IMG_8715.JPG

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, if it works, it works! I prefer the crazy straws myself. Lol. I like the taller standpipe idea as mine is a little loud at times. Especially when the gyre is pushing at 60% from the other end. For the first day or so, I was a nervous wreck when I would hear the changes in the overflow from my tanks flow.
Haha, we do bump into the same threads a lot. seperated siblings maybe? Ha. John here. Here's a shot of my tank and home built stand. (White lights under, yellow filter for the blue in photo)
Who built that sump? I'd like to bring the water level up a bit, but mine can't handle any more backflow than it does now with the smaller sump.
IMG_8715.JPG

Whoa! My brothers name is John! Lol keeps getting weirder! Rob, the owner of AcryBox built my Sump, he did a really good job and taught me how to really utilize all the space I had, he also built the door for my stand and frag racks and soon he will build a matching dosing container. PM me and I'll shoot you his info if you want it
Post your build thread on here, id love to check your tank out.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet sump, for some reason I'm not getting updates on either one of your builds and they are two that I really enjoy looking thru. I just read the last two pages for the first time with no updates...

Well that stinks! But thank you for taking the time to go back and read thru!

kennedpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9aea48a0701c89eed702c5f629a8086c.jpg
e08802f54f3bd0798df1124620ba3e49.jpg

These are the coolest little schooling fish, I didn't think I could love fish but these guys are awesome! They seem to be loving the tank so far!
I love how they interact with the reef. I know they're not fancy but watching them hideout in colonies and stuff is awesome.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how they interact with the reef. I know they're not fancy but watching them hideout in colonies and stuff is awesome.

They are a steal at 5 bucs a fish! They are so cool, when I walk up to the tank now they are like little dogs, they group up and follow me along the glass! Feed me Feed me!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back