80% of Marine Fish die in transport??

View Badges
I’ll just leave these here:

If you go against the narrative, you’re silenced. Go ahead and try to find a greater authority on the GBR than Peter Ridd.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More habitable land in places humans don't reallly live, and less habitable land in places billions already do. Less rain in places like the breadbasket, but more severe and unpredictable weather like the year after year record setting hurricanes.

People will move like they always have.

What is a record though? Really all we are doing is documenting ithe last 50 years when it comes to things like hurricanes. Have you been in a TS or Cat 1? How many of those were really ever recorded as hurricanes back in the day. A TS hitting some random island in the Caribbean 50 years ago wasn't going to get recorded reliably. I've had worse random summer storms than some of the tropical systems that I've lived through growing up in the florida keys and coastal florida. In any case the number of storms isn't on any real trend.
1624412292383.png

As for droughts and changing weather, earth is going to do its thing. We probably do have an impact but overall it is pretty much indisputable that warmer global weather is better for our species as a whole, relative to cooler weather. I'm personally far more concerned with heavy industry, open mining, and trash pollution than CO2. No point getting to self righteous about this stuff when you engage in such a selfish hobby like this one.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you go against the narrative, you’re silenced. Go ahead and try to find a greater authority on the GBR than Peter Ridd.

Cool story bro. See if I say cool story bro I don't have to acknowledge your argument.

One guy getting fired possibly for questioning some science on climate change and then winning a law suit about free speech proves nothing.

The EPA says the earth's getting hotter, go ahead find a greater authority on the environment than the EPA.

View Badges
Cool story bro. See if I say cool story bro I don't have to acknowledge your argument.

One guy getting fired possibly for questioning some science on climate change and then winning a law suit about free speech proves nothing.

The EPA says the earth's getting hotter, go ahead find a greater authority on the environment than the EPA.

I take it back then, I’ll just bah at you like a good sheep. Better to speak your language.

View Badges
Good sheep! Remember it's the university's and non profits that manipulated you! Definitely not the billion dollar already established corporations.
Where do you think the money comes from?

I went to a top university, I learned that science was pushed out of academia for pseudoscience and funding long before I attended.

as for non profits, regardless of their tax status, charities advocate and do for themselves first, then their causes. You donate, they throw parties for more donations, or just to spread “awareness” then they all get raises. I’m actually working on a new NGO right now.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you think the money comes from?

I went to a top university, I learned that science was pushed out of academia for pseudoscience and funding long before I attended.

as for non profits, regardless of their tax status, charities advocate and do for themselves first, then their causes. You donate, they throw parties for more donations, or just to spread “awareness” then they all get raises. I’m actually working on a new NGO right now.
I am aware many off the larger and probably many of the smaller 501c are Shams. Specifically some of the cancer ones to my knowledge. Doesn't make Breast Cancer or whatever cancer they are using to fleece their pockets any less real. Infact it's Realness makes it alot easier to get people's pocket change.

I'm also aware money corrupts some research, especially around things that can generate large amounts of immediate profit like medicine. and so you can't trust a single study or organization on something. I've heard this exact argument from someone who believes Fluoride and Vaccines are population control.

However the science around Global Warming has been studied and reproduced so many times its irrefutable. Hell, I remember learning in grade school Venus is the hottest planet because of its thick atmosphere.

Last edited:

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some amazing science break throughts in recent yrs and studies done on corals yes. Ive posted articles here on r2r or hyperlinks.
Does not change the fact that the coral had to start dieing 1st before the actual attention got their.
Ppl will do what ppp do. We are just that. Ppl.
-d

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Easy:
Terry Hughes
Ruth Gates (RIP)
Geoff Jones
John Pandolfi
Morgan Pratchett
Phillip Munday

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked at one of the largest wholesalers. Our mortality rate for shipments coming direct from the collects was 2-5%. I don’t believe that 80% figure for a second. Everyone on the chain wants the fish to live. We got credited from the collectors for DOAs.
Hmmmm that’s honestly quite surprising! I’ll retract what I said previously about the 80% figure. Maybe 80% was more realistic 15 years ago or perhaps they’re figuring hobbyists killing fish. For every responsible reefer there are probably 20 negligent ones

View Badges
I am aware many off the larger and probably many of the smaller 501c are Shams. Specifically some of the cancer ones to my knowledge. Doesn't make Breast Cancer or whatever cancer they are using to fleece their pockets any less real. Infact it's Realness makes it alot easier to get people's pocket change.

I'm also aware money corrupts some research, especially around things that can generate large amounts of immediate profit like medicine. and so you can't trust a single study or organization on something. I've heard this exact argument from someone who believes Fluoride and Vaccines are population control.

However the science around Global Warming has been studied and reproduced so many times its irrefutable. Hell, I remember learning in grade school Venus is the hottest planet because of its thick atmosphere.

Enjoy your religion then. Good luck with your tanks or whatever.

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked at one of the largest wholesalers. Our mortality rate for shipments coming direct from the collects was 2-5%. I don’t believe that 80% figure for a second. Everyone on the chain wants the fish to live. We got credited from the collectors for DOAs.
This is good data as the big wholesalers get shipments from around the world. The times I've been to LA wholesalers (Quality included) I've only seen good quality fish. Of course there are a few once in a while that didn't look the greatest, but overall they all looked good.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People will move like they always have.

What is a record though? Really all we are doing is documenting ithe last 50 years when it comes to things like hurricanes. Have you been in a TS or Cat 1? How many of those were really ever recorded as hurricanes back in the day. A TS hitting some random island in the Caribbean 50 years ago wasn't going to get recorded reliably. I've had worse random summer storms than some of the tropical systems that I've lived through growing up in the florida keys and coastal florida. In any case the number of storms isn't on any real trend.
1624412292383.png

As for droughts and changing weather, earth is going to do its thing. We probably do have an impact but overall it is pretty much indisputable that warmer global weather is better for our species as a whole, relative to cooler weather. I'm personally far more concerned with heavy industry, open mining, and trash pollution than CO2. No point getting to self righteous about this stuff when you engage in such a selfish hobby like this one.

I'm getting solar panels soon, with one benefit being the battery and having backup power. But I have no illusions that my boxes of water that probably approach the electrictal usage of my first apartment, filled with creatures shipped to me on airplanes overnight are good for the environment. Doesnt mean we shouldn't do what we can to minimialize environmental impact. Whether it's how fish are collected, raw material usage, greenhouse gases, etc.

I don't think any projected level of warming will lead to our extinction or something, we are very adaptable. Maybe for a premodern human race warmer weather would have been better.

For civilized humans now it's hard to overstate the potential damage. From losing billions in infrastructure to sea water rise, to the refugee crisis from places like New Delhi and Dubai.

Thanks for the calm respectful conversation. Cheers mate

Last edited:
OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good data as the big wholesalers get shipments from around the world. The times I've been to LA wholesalers (Quality included) I've only seen good quality fish. Of course there are a few once in a while that didn't look the greatest, but overall they all looked good.
Yea me too I went to Quality Marine and Sea Dwelling Creatures and they really have an amazing system of receiving new fish, short-quaratine, and great packing to ensure health!

OP
OP
dyno

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If 20% die from the wholesaler to LFS how many die from Indonesia to California? They admit 80% is an estimate but I would guess from the fisherman's boat to the LFS it has to be 60%+.

If you haven't seen it this amateur documentary provides a really good unbiased look at the wild caught fish industry .

Also totally unrelated but had to tell someone who cares. Didn't expect to see this in a Mexican Restaurant I

@Grumblez Great Documentary, thanks for sharing! Also yea like others said that restaurant would be my go to spot!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back