80g Shallow Reef Build

elwallacejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank that I set up as a frag tank with an Eshopps Medium overflow that I put on one end for a peninsula style. I've actually been thinking about consolidating the frags into a 40Breeder and setting up the 80 as a shallow display tank. Good Luck!

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

Welcome to R2R and the Hobby!

Thank you so much dantimdad!!

I have the same tank that I set up as a frag tank with an Eshopps Medium overflow that I put on one end for a peninsula style. I've actually been thinking about consolidating the frags into a 40Breeder and setting up the 80 as a shallow display tank. Good Luck!

For me it will be the perfect size as not to big or to small. I want a lagoon feel with mangroves and water surges for coral growth, so should be interesting on the rock and sand layout.

elwallacejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm concerned about the sand - are you going SPS? You'll need good flow and the shallow depth makes me concerned about getting a sandstorm.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm concerned about the sand - are you going SPS? You'll need good flow and the shallow depth makes me concerned about getting a sandstorm.

After reading lots of review I am using Tropic Eden Reefflakes grand select mixed with Tropic Eden Mesoflakes and that seems to so well in high flow.
https://premiumaquatics.com/products/tropic-eden-mesoflakes-30lb-aragonite-crumbs-27mm.html and https://premiumaquatics.com/products/tropic-eden-reeflakes-grand-select-30lbs.html

elwallacejr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good size bigger than the Carib-Sea Special grade that I had used previously - good call.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic picture of future reefing. All captive bred livestock. The more people do this The more cost effective & pressure on wild animals.

In our life time it is just a dream to have all captive bred live stock as to many people do not care how or where something comes from, but instead care only how it looks :(

So are we back to using crushed coral now? :D

With the Mesoflakes it should have a sandy feel, but we will see as I have never tried it.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking forward to seeing this build progress. I'm a huge fan of shallow tanks, also a fan of aquaculture and tank raised livestock. I'm working on an aquaculture only shallow tank as well :)

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking forward to seeing this build progress. I'm a huge fan of shallow tanks, also a fan of aquaculture and tank raised livestock. I'm working on an aquaculture only shallow tank as well :)
WOW I am so glad you are doing a aquaculture build and I hope we can both learn some things. :)

Last edited:

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respect what you're doing. I agree that there is a lot of damage done via the hobby, and minimizing it is commendable. I've gathered almost all of my equipment used on craigslist (to save money and try to repurpose things), and so far just about all fish and coral are "second hand", so hopefully there is less impact. I'm also in the process of growing out some frags to both reduce the costs I'm facing and lessen dependence on wild caught corals.

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really looking forward to this build! I love shallow tanks

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how much flow you want through the sump. Calculate the total head loss from the return pipe diameter, head height, elbows/fittings, etc. Then subtract that amount from the max GPH of the return pump.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you need an adjustable return? If not, I prefer the simplicity of AC returns. No big power supply block, no calibration, no app.

Indo Pacific Sea Farm is a great option for captive bred clean up crews and macro algae.

M

member 99594

View Badges
Following, I love that I am seeing more of the shallow reef builds. Doing the same one.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need an adjustable return? If not, I prefer the simplicity of AC returns. No big power supply block, no calibration, no app.

Indo Pacific Sea Farm is a great option for captive bred clean up crews and macro algae.

AC returns have been a mainstay in the hobby for many years as for flow control people just put a ball valve on it, but I was wanting to try something new and have not ruled out tried and true AC units.
That is why I was looking at the Hydor, because it is a AC unit with a full control feature, the problem is the lack of info on the pumps as they are so new(maybe I can be the first).
I have not even looked in to clean up crews to be honest as I am slow. I will defiantly look into this as I approach that time, but for now I need to get this parts list done and attempt to build a stand(this is making my life miserable right now).

Following, I love that I am seeing more of the shallow reef builds. Doing the same one.
That is wonderful and will follow your build and maybe learn some stuff along the way.

As for the sump I have decided to go with the Bashsea bio-fuge sumps
https://www.bashsea.com/products/standard-series/bio-fuge

bashseasump.jpg

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back into the hobby. It sure is like a rash that won’t go away eh? [emoji4]
Looks like you’ve got some good advice on the guts of the tank. Allow me to chime in on the test kits. I have tried them all and this is what I’ve found best from an accuracy and ease of use (read color interpretation) standpoint:

Ca & Mg: Red Sea Pro
Alk: Hanna checker
PO4: Hanna ULR Checker
NO3: Red Sea Pro. I used Salifert here for quite some time but could never interpret the colors easily. Red Sea is much much easier.

Looking forward to seeing your build come together! Cheers!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back