8400 L Multi-Tank Mixed Reef System

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I planned and created a way in which the quarantine tank is connected to the whole system BUT the whole water going to the sump from the quarantine is passing through an intense UV system through what I call (a 1200 L water change chamber made from fiberglass as well). So to I make sure that the quarantine is well maintained with the good parameters of my main system, maintenance free, and does not bring pathogens or infections to my whole system.

I have used this approach in the past. Ultimately abandoned it because there are too many things that can go awry, and frankly maintaining a separate QT isn't really all that much extra work. In my case, the UV isolation failed because the ballast on my UV failed. Would suggest (if you have not already) dual/redundant UV units.

OP
OP
pro_aquarist

pro_aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this approach in the past. Ultimately abandoned it because there are too many things that can go awry, and frankly maintaining a separate QT isn't really all that much extra work. In my case, the UV isolation failed because the ballast on my UV failed. Would suggest (if you have not already) dual/redundant UV units.

Thanks for your input. Yes you have a point about the complexity of that system. That’s why it took me so much time planning and calculating. Most of the things (if not all) are automated. The only thing I have to do is open and close valves and water is changed. Regarding the quarantine, it can be easily disconnected from the main system if something goes wrong with the UVs or for any other reasons. The quarantine chamber is actually planned to be temporary until I have the fish I want then it will be converted into either another frag tank, or anemone tank. It can also be an extra refugium with UV off. I keep watching any newly added fish to that quarantine (which is very healthy as it has the main system water stability and parameters and that is the main point I made it this way). Once a minor thing is noticed on any fish I immediately transfer to the hospital. I don’t wait a single day. I actually attached another quarantine just above that tank for extra fish, the water from that new quarantine doesn’t pass through the first one. It bypass it.

I am thinking of starting my ozonizer at the compartment after quarantine tanks (I call the water change chamber which is dark and full of water with all the detritus settled on it’s floor as it is deep and contains around 1200 L) to even sterilize the water more as it has a synergistic effect with the UV, and there is no harm as it will still go to the long filtration process, so the Ozone will be degraded.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind that by the time you notice something on your fish, it’s in your system. Perhaps you will be better at monitoring the UV than I was. For an established system, that approach just proved too risky to me.

OP
OP
pro_aquarist

pro_aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind that by the time you notice something on your fish, it’s in your system. Perhaps you will be better at monitoring the UV than I was. For an established system, that approach just proved too risky to me.
I can’t disagree .. It has risk ... And I think I should consider a completely separate quarantine .. Thanks again for your input and advice based on your own experience

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back